Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 981 total)
  • Nicola Sturgeon to resign
  • Harry_the_Spider

Something fishy about that…

tjagain

Wow

I expected her to keep going until some resolution over a second referendum.  She has begun to look tired tho the last year and has been at the helm for a while

i expect the SNP to dissolve into infighting now – thats maybe why she has gone as holding the party together has begun to look too hard?

ernielynch

thats maybe why she has gone as holding the party together has begun to look too hard?

So she does it abruptly? I would have thought something far more unexpected is likely to be the cause.

Del

Best prime minister we never had?

tjagain

That would be John Smith

scotroutes

Something about an investigation into financial irregularities maybe?

ernielynch

Something fishy about that…

Cod that be any punnier?

BoardinBob

A real loss. She’s been a superb leader. Hard to see who takes over and comes close to her.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Loan from her husband or some such. The sort of thing the Tories do three times daily after meals.

argee

Too many scandals and she was becoming the story too often, was always going to end badly as the longer she was in charge, the more rubbish she’d have to deal with, the SNP unfortunately have their fair share of incompetent individuals, and she ended up having to deal with the end result too much.

The SNP need to regroup here, they cannot afford a Liz Truss appointment here, they need to get this right and refocus on their plan if they want to succeed.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

What a shame.

As a n Englishman and vey loosely a unionist I’d have to say she came across as ten times the leader of any of our current crop of pillocks.

Merak

Perhaps she’ll join up with her pal wee Eck…

kelvin

I’d just like to echo thestabiliser’s sentiments.

cultsdave
    Free Member

have to say she came across as ten times the leader of any of our current crop of pillocks.

and this is the problem, because she spoke well and could hold her own in a debate she looked and sounded competent. But the reality is the SNP have failed Scotland. Our education is woeful for just one example. She asked to be judged on education but when she was that went quiet.
    Constantly blaming Westminster for all our problems was wearing very thin.

thenorthwind

I wonder how the reporter knew… perhaps he heard it on the wire?

thenorthwind

Trying to emulate Jacinda?

tjagain

There is a group within the SNP that thought Sturgeon is not committed to independence and that she would rather be a “provincial governor”  I expect this group to bust the party wide open now with demands for independence now and UDI. to me this has no logic to it at all as that would mean ( as it has) her leadership would end in failure as not achieving independence would be failure judged by any standards. Unfortunately the support across the population is just not there for this ( UDI etc)

There is also the sidelining of the old right wing tartan tories – Fergus Ewing et al.  they have the knives out for her

I suspect the SNP will now dissolve into factionalism and infighting – its already been going on behind the scenes but this will bust out into open warfare.  Tends to be the fate of parties in power for too long

maccruiskeen

Her interview on The News Agents  a week or so ago was a really interesting listen – but at the time seemed at the time a  little odd to have given something so lengthy and frank. It sort of seemed like the kind of interview other politicians would have given after they’d left the spotlight.

poly
    Free Member

As a n Englishman and vey loosely a unionist I’d have to say she came across as ten times the leader of any of our current crop of pillocks.

She’s not my favourite person but definitely meets that low bar!  However she’s still managed to be tarred with the Salmond scandal, the ferries scandal, the SNP party financial mess, the GRA infighting and now it seems a new squabble brewing over DRS etc.

However, whilst losing an effective leader seems like a potential blow to indy, if they come up with someone who turns out to be competent then I think it reinforces the message that Scotland can govern itself and can produce international leaders.  If its Swinney or Yousaf then I think it will damage the cause, nobody else springs to mind as having say in enough departments to be an obvious choice.

chewkw
    Free Member

The straw that breaks the camel’s back must be related to the gender self identification issue recently.

tjagain

Constantly blaming Westminster for all our problems was wearing very thin.

When you have constantly reducing budgets as a result of Westminster decisions and health and education make up such a large part of the Scottish governments discretionary spend this is simply true – that a lot of the issues could be fairly blamed on Westminster.  For example a decent payrise for teachers means cuts elsewhere.  Teachers and healthcare workers have been given greater payrises in Scotland but any increase in pay means cuts elsewhere

chakaping
    Free Member

Something about an investigation into financial irregularities maybe?

I’m aware of this from reading Private Eye, but I’ve never seen it reported elsewhere.

I also don’t live in Scotland and haven’t looked too hard TBF, but I’d expect to have seen her and the SNP being beaten with it more regularly in the current political climate.

Oh OK, it’s resurfaced this week I see…
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/23315583.sturgeon-pressure-police-step-snp-fraud-probe/

franksinatra

I think the trans issue was damaging. The gender recognition reform bill was good legislation, well consulted and supported. But it was quickly followed by section 35 veto then Isla Bryson (which had nothing to do with the bill). last week in the Borders we had a child abduction by a trans person and possible more charges to come from that. I have no doubt this will trigger the debate more and Sturgeon will be further damaged by association.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’d just like to echo the stabiliser’s sentiments.

I’m English and personally don’t want to to see Scotland leave – but it’s a shame to see her go, Scotland has lost a good leader there.

monkeyboyjc

It’ll be interesting for sure, tbh being an Englishman I’ve no idea who would replace her, the SNP are a party of unknowns to me – if it all goes tits up, could the Lib Dems make a comeback at the next GE as the third party?

martinhutch

If there’s a reason why the decision has been made in haste, I hope it’s not health related.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

So she does it abruptly? I would have thought something far more unexpected is likely to be the cause.

I do hope it’s a political problem and nothing more but the seeming haste would make me think something has gone seriously wrong in the last 12 hours.

Stories already in the news such as the gender bill, financial irregularities etc do not need a press conference arranged at the 11th hour unless something has changed dramatically, eg (not suggesting it is) charges are going to be brought.

chakaping
    Free Member

if it all goes tits up, could the Lib Dems make a comeback at the next GE as the third party?

I’m no expert, but I suspect the more pertinent question will be how much (if any) ground Scottish Labour might regain on the SNP.

As an outsider, it does look like a lot of the party’s success has been tied up with her competency and credibility.

cultsdave
    Free Member

When you have constantly reducing budgets as a result of Westminster decisions and health and education make up such a large part of the Scottish governments discretionary spend this is simply true – that a lot of the issues could be fairly blamed on Westminster.

While I agree that is part of the issue, there was never any ownership of their own poor management.

And the arguments for becoming Independent starkly remind me of the Brexit debate.

chakaping
    Free Member

Her interview on The News Agents a week or so ago was a really interesting listen – but at the time seemed at the time a little odd to have given something so lengthy and frank. It sort of seemed like the kind of interview other politicians would have given after they’d left the spotlight.

I heard that and agree, she was surprisingly candid but still very polished.

They didn’t mention the party finances issue though, IIRC?

tjagain

I suspect its a “straw that broke the camels back” situation.  to much going on and she has just run out of energy and can see no way out.

Tensions between the westminster party and that in Holyrood, tensions between the independence now group and the pragmatists.  The GRA and also the financial stuff.

Thats my guess rather than it being one particular issue but its only a guess

ernielynch

If there’s a reason why the decision has been made in haste, I hope it’s not health related.

That is my thought. A sudden abrupt abandoning of a career is often linked to health concerns.

the-muffin-man

and this is the problem, because she spoke well and could hold her own in a debate she looked and sounded competent.

She came across as divisive, stubborn, refused to accept blame and superior to me. I’m struggling not to do a little dance around the office.

sharkbait
    Free Member

A source close to Ms Sturgeon – the longest-serving first minister – told the BBC that she had “had enough”.

Hopefully doesn’t sound health related.

chakaping
    Free Member

I mean it might be health, but it’s more likely she and her hubby are going to find themselves in an indefensible situation re. the party finances and she’s doing the right thing rather than trying to tough it out (like the Tories she’s rightly criticised so much).

irc

Good riddance. Maybe we can get competent govt instead of constant indy campaining.

csb

I think @chewkw had it. The absolute horlicks over this trans issue has tipped her over the edge. That an author is considered to have a better political barometer must hurt.

boomerlives
    Free Member

perhaps he heard it on the wire?

That was unfairly overlooked in the frenzy of speculation.

blokeuptheroad

To echo a few others on here, I don’t know a great deal about Scottish politics and I know she has had some issues, but she comes across as genuine, competent, statesmanlike and a leader. She is streets ahead of anyone in Westminster in that regard.  It seems a shame for politics to lose such a set of skills and attributes. Perhaps that’s a naïve, ill informed view and I’ll be corrected by those ‘in the know’, but that’s it for what it’s worth.

The view of an Englishman who is pro union but who recognises it’s for the Scottish electorate to decide whether to leave/remain in it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 981 total)

The topic ‘Nicola Sturgeon to resign’ is closed to new replies.