Viewing 21 posts - 961 through 981 (of 981 total)
  • Nicola Sturgeon to resign
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Maybe they were in a panic trying to chase losses, or maybe they were just felt enabled to spend party funds as they saw fit?

I don’t really have an axe to grind either way, but I think this is really damaging for the SNP at a critical time.

Do you Scots feel it’s bollocksed up the receding chance of independence in the foreseeable future?

highlandman
    Free Member

I think that when the truth is finally in the public domain, that it’ll prove to be at worst, a relatively minor mistake/mishap/misplacement and so will have relatively little impact.
    I think for most Scots, the overall issues with the abusive, controlling relationship where Westminster treats us a colony to be sucked dry is much more important than one person’s problems or mistake. There’s still a very strong case to be made in support of independence.

gordimhor

Are you suggesting that to protect against COVID, an MSP, their researchers and press agents might want to all sleep in the same confined space while campaigning? 🤔

No!
    Also I in quite a few years of campaigning I’ve never known a candidate travel with researchers etc while campaigning. So I was suggesting that an individual spending a lot of nights away from home might want to use a campervan rather than go from hotel to hotel.
    I also said it was “just about plausible” , which does not imply a high degree of likelihood.

tjagain

Well it is a pretty offensive thing to say.  After brexit Scottish independence is more important not less and more obvious not less

ernielynch

After brexit Scottish independence is more important

I am sure that is a universally held opinion which every Scot agrees with.

It is just so difficult to express.

tjagain

Brexit cause a shift towards YES and indeed its a common thing to state why you turned from NO to YES

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Well it is a pretty offensive thing to say. 

Is it really offensive to be told your ideology involves “a bit of magical thinking”?

Westminster treats us a colony to be sucked dry

This is exactly the kind of melodramatic, self-pitying language that makes the loopier end of Scottish nationalism so comical. It is (genuinely!) offensive to real victims of British colonialism for Scots to paint themselves as being in the same boat. Scots were among the most aggressive perpetrators of imperialism – the Scottish governors of Australia personally directed genocide, half of Africa was named after Scots and Scots were at the forefront of oppressing and displacing Canada’s first nations.

Present day Scots have, in contrast, a minor political dispute over forms of governance, on which they have freely voted twice in living memory to approve the current arrangements.

It’s absolutely nuts.

BruceWee

Is it really offensive to be told your ideology involves “a bit of magical thinking”?

Not so much offensive as moronic. Some of us find moronic statements irritating.

Brexiteers are a pain in the arse in general.

“Oh but I’m not a brexiteer!’

Oh yes you are. Scotland has a route back to the CU/SM/EU that isn’t open to us as long as the English are convinced that even the slightest movement in this direction will take years/decades/centuries. At least if you read the Brexit thread.

You are adamant that a route back towards the EU is impossible. That makes you a Brexiteer. Along with the majority of the English, as far as I can tell.

So yeah, I find your moronic statement irritating and you reported it and got it taken away while your original statement sits there serenely. I could report it but I honestly don’t think idiotic statements should be reported. The mods wouldn’t have time for toilet breaks.

tjagain

Present day Scots have, in contrast, a minor political dispute over forms of governance, on which they have freely voted twice in living memory to approve the current arrangements.

errmmm – that is so much not true

We voted against brexit 2:1  the referendum in the 70s(??) for a scots parliament had at the last minute a supermajiority imposed but a majority voted for the devolved parliamrent

English natioalism and the brexiteer majority down south has damaged scotland greatly

BruceWee

This thread seems to be a playground for people who are ignorant about Scotland and I can’t really be bothered with indulging them anymore so let’s see if I cop a ban for pointing out their idiotic statements.

BruceWee

It is (genuinely!) offensive to real victims of British colonialism for Scots to paint themselves as being in the same boat. Scots were among the most aggressive perpetrators of imperialism – the Scottish governors of Australia personally directed genocide, half of Africa was named after Scots and Scots were at the forefront of oppressing and displacing Canada’s first nations.

Was India a victim of colonialism?

Or did the families of Rishi Sunak, Suella Braverman, and Priti Patel negate that due to their actions in Africa?

Believe it or not, many countries that were the victims of colonisation also had citizens who were perpetrators. English people would prefer to stay in England and collect the benefits from the work of their colonies, after all.

Hence the Scots doing so much of the English dirty work.

niseach
    Free Member

Hilarious that after all that has happened (with much more still to come out – ie SNP bankruptcy now rumoured) that the cultists and their ‘whataboutery’ are still out in force. It is genuinely frightening.
    The SNP want to control the finances of an independent country, yet can’t run those of their own party…
    They have policies that suggest that brains are not fully developed until 25 (recently giving a rapist an avoid jail pass), yet at the same time they think people have the capacity to be allowed to change their gender at 8… These lunatics in the Greens have so much to answer for.
    The SNP lost the plot years ago and how they have run the country with the lies, cover ups and sheer incompetency really does beggar belief. As a proud Scot, I wholly despair at how bitterly divided and toxic the country currently is. Thank goodness for the escape of mountain biking.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

You are adamant that a route back towards the EU is impossible. 

No, I am adamant that an independent Scotland rejoining the EU while rUK is stupid. It’s perfectly possible, but it would be replicating the stupidity of Brexit at greater scale. All the problems around FoM, customs barriers, increaed regulatory burden, and the hassle caused to Irish logistics that Brexit saw, but ten times more intensely. Scotland is a much smaller market and much more integrated with the UK than the UK was with the EU.

I find your moronic statement irritating and you reported it

No, I didn’t. Contrary to the stereotype of my people, I’m not very thin skinned.

We voted against brexit 2:1 

Good grief! You know the Brexit referendum wasn’t a referendum on Scottish independence. Come off it.

tjagain

As above – the 70s ref a majority voted for the devolved parliament and the brexit vote was about forms of governance and we voted 2:1 against.

Yes the independence vote was lost

Yo are entitled to your opinion on Scots independence.  it would help your arguement if you were not sneering and patronising and if you actually got your facts right.  Yo are not rentitled to belittle and sneer at those who want independence

politecameraaction
    Free Member

English people would prefer to stay in England and collect the benefits from the work of their colonies, after all.

lol!

BruceWee

lol!

Not the stupidest reply you’ve made today.

Good job, buddy!

ernielynch

English people would prefer to stay in England and collect the benefits from the work of their colonies, after all.

Ah, so Scots were absolved from any responsibility of exploitation caused by the British Empire because someone had to do the dirty work, and it turns out that the English just wanted to stay at home.

How would the British Empire have managed without Scotland eh?

BruceWee

The SNP want to control the finances of an independent country, yet can’t run those of their own party…

Good job no one’s suggesting Scotland should be a single party state post independence then, isn’t it?

BruceWee

Ah, so Scots were absolved from any responsibility of exploitation

Nope, not what I said. Idiotic statement.

the-muffin-man

There’s another thread for this argument!

BruceWee

No, I am adamant that an independent Scotland rejoining the EU while rUK is stupid.

No, the idea that realignment with the EU is going to take years/decades/centuries that is so popular amongst English contributors on the Brexit thread is stupid.

Staying with a country that is hell bent on repeatedly smashing itself in the testicles with a hammer and the majority of the population supports this view is also stupid.

Viewing 21 posts - 961 through 981 (of 981 total)

The topic ‘Nicola Sturgeon to resign’ is closed to new replies.