Home Forums Bike Forum Stuck Kryptonite lock, ideas?

• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by swdan.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Stuck Kryptonite lock, ideas?
  • redmist
    Free Member

So my aging kryptonite D lock is currently at work with my bike still attached to it. The key turns half way before getting stuck,  and it was working fine until this point. Half an hour of jiggling and swearing didn’t shift it. Going to ride over and hit it with the wd40 in a minute but other than bolt cutters + new lock does anyone have any other gems of wisdom that might help here? Or recommend a new reliable lock that will spend it’s life outside but undercover?

kelron
    Free Member

Is the key going all the way in?

johnw1984
    Free Member

My wife’s did the same last year. I flushed it out with WD40 and it’s been fine since.

scaredypants

Yeah, shove in a load of wd40 and jiggle baby

(strangest…)

If it works, then get something a bit longer lasting in there to keep the weather off the mechanism

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Stick some santa cruz decals on the bike and wait a few minutes….

spooky_b329

Give the shackle a good clout, it could be binding the lock.  Also beware of the old ‘disable the lock’ or someone ‘accidentally locking their bike around yours’ forcing you to leave it overnight when someone can nick it undisturbed.

kiwijohn

WD40 should do it. LBS is going to get me a new one under warranty.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Has someone superglued it so they can come back at their leisure and nick it?

mattyfez

As above, wd 40 works when mine sticks

Also as above when mine sticks is usually one of the cylinders (not sure if that’s the right terminology  is stuck out of line with the rest (key won’t go all the way in) so after WD40, a thin jewelers /electricians screw driver (or similar thin thing) can be inserted into the barrel to tease the offending cylinder into line with the rest,, which allows the key to go all the way in again.

Normaly happens on the bottom one on mine so the key looks like it’s all the way in as a casual glance  but it’s not quite..a torch and a look down the key hole might help see what’s going on

Also on mine if you if you put the key in upside down  it will turn a bit then jam  so make sure you try the key both ways.

redmist
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, wd40 on its way. Key seems to go all the way in, not been tampered with for thievery I’m pretty sure. Actually the power tap pedals are probably more valuable than the bike itself! I’ll look into warranty if lock oil doesn’t make things more reliable.

fisha
    Free Member

By a country mile the best penetrating fluid is dot4 brake fluid.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I once took an angle grinder to customer’s work car park when his new one jammed, that sorted it (Abus I think).

tenfoot

I’ve had a few Kryptonite locks that do this. Is the key definitely all of the way in? When mine did the same thing, someone recommended inserting a blade edge into the lock (such as a small screwdriver) to align the barrels within the lock. Looking into the lock, you can sometimes see that the top of the key barrel will be at 90 degrees to the level below.

Not sure I’m using the correct technical terms, but it worked for me. I just used the screwdriver to turn the top layer, to line up with the layer below.

hardtailonly

Is it really your bike and lock?

How do we know you’re not an incompetent scally, asking for advice about how to improve your scally skills? 😉

swdan
    Free Member

With mine, if the yellow plastic cover on the straight bar is even slightly rotated then it won’t unlock (if that makes sense). I just need to turn it a mm back in line and then it works. No idea why this happens

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Stuck Kryptonite lock, ideas?’ is closed to new replies.