Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Stubborn belly fat in your forties
  • didnthurt

My god, losing belly fat in your forties is hard! I’ve lost 6kg by eating two meals a day and regular exercise but the belly is holding on in there. I’ve read that this is normal but that doesn’t make it anyless annoying. I’m just going to persevere and hope it goes eventually. Just to let you know, my diet is decent with plenty of frut, veg and lean meat, I’ve given up alcohol and try to get 8 hours sleep a night.

Anyone else in a similar boat with stubborn belly fat?

colp

Yeah, belly fat is the last thing to go. I’ve got it down really low in the past but my wife says I look gaunt in the face. I can have veins showing in my arms and still carry a bit.

ernielynch

It’s a combination of weaker abdominals and insulin tolerance, both connected with getting older, I think are the culprits.

Edit: I think that genetics probably plays a part too. I have a triathlon competing riding buddy, he is extraordinarily fit, and he carries a belly which he can’t shift. I have another riding buddy who has lost much of fitness in recent years but he has as much fat as a celery stick.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

There is veg and there is veg…

Root veg are stuffed full of carbs.

Do you cook from fresh or partake of processed meals?

Giving up wheat is a good idea, and sugar, and bananas.

Eat plenty of leafy greens and legumes.

(90kg , down to 77, in 6 months here)

eulach

Yes, except I’m in my 50s. More than a year now with graduated implementation of lifestyle changes. I can touch my toes without warming up and am BMI normal but still got too many waist inches. It’s enough to drive a man to drink.

Edit:

insulin tolerance

Can you elaborate, I know I could google it but this is a discussion forum.

Mugboo

In a similar boat here but in my 50’s.

We are slowly changing habits and hoping to move the dial. Had our first 800 calorie day yesterday. That felt fine but even though I ate breakfast this morning (muesli and greek yoghurt) I didn’t have much oomph on the bike today.

dudeofdoom

Yeah, belly fat is the last thing to go. I’ve got it down really low in the past but my wife says I look gaunt in the face. I can have veins showing in my arms and still carry a bit.

Yep Mrs DoD said I look’d pretty rough when I’d reached my lowest bodyfat%, still had a teeny gutlet.

I just never could get the six-pack in my late 40’s.

Probably needed liposuction and roids/speed tbh 🙁

stumpy01

Just losing weight seems to be getting more & more difficult now I’ve hit mid-forties, although I am making some progress.

4 lbs off since beginning of January. I’ve got another 11 lbs I want to shift. Mine seems to just be all over my upper body to be honest.
    I’ve got no conditioning in my abs, which I think would help tighten up the dad paunch a bit.

I’ve been off the booze since start of January & am just trying to be better with what I’m eating & cutting out snacks.
    A decent amount of Zwift riding, but that’s about the only specific exercise – perhaps 5 hours/week.

scotroutes

I was well into my 60s before discovering that running would shift more of my belly fat than cycling ever did. Having said that, I was also pairing it with more bodyweight exercises and general “conditioning” so I wouldn’t ascribe the loss all to one thing. FWIW I’ve not altered my diet either.

ernielynch

Can you elaborate

I’d rather someone else did! Not my forte and I can’t remember the precise mechanics. But cutting down on your sugar should help you to become more sensitive to insulin.

the-muffin-man

I was well into my 60s before discovering that running would shift more of my belly fat than cycling ever did.

+1 for running. Doesn’t have to be far, and just 2 or 3 times a week. It’s the only thing that’s worked for me in shifting a decent amount of weight.

IHN

I just never could get the six-pack in my late 40’s.

Me neither. Or my early 40’s to be fair. Thinking about it, never managed it in my 30’s either. Or, indeed, my 20s.

matt_outandabout

There is veg and there is veg…

Root veg are stuffed full of carbs.

Do you cook from fresh or partake of processed meals?

Giving up wheat is a good idea, and sugar, and bananas.

Eat plenty of leafy greens and legumes.

(90kg , down to 77, in 6 months here)

Impressive weight loss….

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

And only took a couple of weeks over Christmas to put half of it back on…

Now 79kg again…

kerley
    Free Member

liposuction would do it if you are that bothered about it.

thecaptain
    Free Member

It may get harder but it’s still basically a combination of eating a bit less and exercising a bit more.

+1 for running, that really helps trim me down.

didnthurt

We cook most of our meals from scratch and I try to not snack. Plus I do a 2km run as part of my gym warmup which I know isn’t much for running. I’m in the gym 2-3 days a week (on top of the cycling and walking).

I’ve gone from 80kg (at 180cm tall) to just above 74kg. I was 72kg when I was a sparky so think this is my ideal weight.

I’ve lost visible mass from all over my body and my clothes are looser. The belly has reduced is size but if anything looks worse now as it is predominantly just in the centre. I’ll keep at it and hopefully will get there eventually.

oikeith

Anyone else in a similar boat with stubborn belly fat?

How much of a daily calorie deficit are you running and how are you tracking it? I remember in my late 20’s it took months of strict calorie deficit to shift my belly. I’m now approaching 40 and upping the exercise and trying to eat better isnt working so will shortly be back to a food diary and targeting a daily calorie deficit of 400 calories.

finbar
    Free Member

-1 for running.

Lifting heavy (and, of course, eating right) has me looking most ripped.

I was in 33m30s 10k shape this time last year and I look better now, having ****ed my hip and run twice since August.

I’m only 40 though.

Mugboo

eulach – google Christines 2 week 800 diet for some more info on the sugar/insulin thing.

dudeofdoom

liposuction would do it if you are that bothered about it.

TBH if you’ve lost a fair bit of weight probably want a tummy tuck as well.

IMHO I think there’s a certain point where dieting and exercise and aesthetically pleasing don’t work the way we wish 🙂

Blackflag
    Free Member

As others have alluded to… After a certain age losing weight really ages you. You can lose the belly but look about 10 years older in the face. Its your call.

Personally i like to enjoy my life (@52) so i don’t mind carrying a little bit upfront. Plus i’m neither on tinder nor grinder so don’t feel to need to be ripped in any way.

downshep

Wife and I are in our 50s and have lost a chunk of weight, particularly around the midriff, on the Mosley Keto 800* diet. *(I eat way more than 800 calories, especially if exercising.) Bit concerned at the amount of bacon, eggs, cheese, full fat yogurt and crème fresh we eat but it certainly works for weight loss. Don’t know how high my cholesterol is though. For balance, we also eat plenty of green veggies and some berries and nuts.

The crux seems to be that carb heavy western diets create lots of insulin spikes, encouraging our bodies to store energy, much of which isn’t burned off. Snacking and eating late don’t help either. By cutting out most carbs; sugar, milk, bread, pasta, rice/ grains, potatoes, root veg and fruit, we can stop the spikes. Replacing carbs with healthier fats in fish, olive oil, avocado and cheese apparently trains our bodies to burn energy more efficiently. Everything is cooked from scratch, nothing processed. Another helpful practice is fasting from 19.00 to 13.00. This is surprisingly easy as fat and protein don’t cause hunger pangs the way carbs do.

The detailed science behind Keto and fasting is beyond me but I’m genuinely impressed at how easy weight control is on this way of eating. My 6 pack is actually visible again.

multi21
    Free Member

downshep

Wife and I are in our 50s and have lost a chunk of weight, particularly around the midriff, on the Mosley Keto 800* diet. *(I eat way more than 800 calories, especially if exercising.) Bit concerned at the amount of bacon, eggs, cheese, full fat yogurt and crème fresh we eat but it certainly works for weight loss. Don’t know how high my cholesterol is though. For balance, we also eat plenty of green veggies and some berries and nuts.

The crux seems to be that carb heavy western diets create lots of insulin spikes, encouraging our bodies to store energy, much of which isn’t burned off. Snacking and eating late don’t help either. By cutting out most carbs; sugar, milk, bread, pasta, rice/ grains, potatoes, root veg and fruit, we can stop the spikes. Replacing carbs with healthier fats in fish, olive oil, avocado and cheese apparently trains our bodies to burn energy more efficiently. Everything is cooked from scratch, nothing processed. Another helpful practice is fasting from 19.00 to 13.00. This is surprisingly easy as fat and protein don’t cause hunger pangs the way carbs do.

The detailed science behind Keto and fasting is beyond me but I’m genuinely impressed at how easy weight control is on this way of eating. My 6 pack is actually visible again.

Keto worked amazingly for me, the weight fell off but I really take my hat off to anyone who can stick it long-term.

After 6 months or so, the thought of another plate of eggy meat, veggy fish or meaty beans was distinctly unappealing.

Plus it’s a major pain in the manchebs for things like going out for a family meal or a beer. And basically forget buying anything pre-packaged as you can guarantee it’s gonna have some carbs in it.

didnthurt

How much of a daily calorie deficit are you running and how are you tracking it?

Around 500 calories a day but if I exercise then I do not eat extra to accommodate, the deficit could be more like 1000 calories some days (use My fitness pal but not all the time).

If I exercise in the morning (normally at the weekend) then I do it fasted.

I’ve been doing intermittent fasting as part of my weight loss, it’s been easy enough to follow.

I only eat lunch and dinner

For lunch I eat an omelette or chicken with spinach or onions and tomatos. Generally no bread or rice or pasta.

For dinner I eat what my wife or I have made, which is home cooked meals, these are essentially meat and three veg.

I do not snack

I do not drink alcohol

I do not drink juice or fizzy pop.

I only drink water and tea with an occasional coffee.

Any hoos. I’ll keep on going, if I hit 70kg and it’s still there then I’ll need to either just except it, or get some liposuction 😳

downshep

Plus it’s a major pain in the manchebs for things like going out for a family meal or a beer. And basically forget buying anything pre-packaged as you can guarantee it’s gonna have some carbs in it.

Indeed, ANY Italian, Chinese, Indian, Burger, Fish n Chips etc is full of carbs.

finbar
    Free Member

@didnthurt

That is a remarkably clean diet. If you’re doing that without cheating for any decent length of time you should look like a god.

That said, how are your testosterone levels? I’m wondering if that’s an issue – running a calorie deficit definitely depletes test, compounded if you’re doing much cardio exercise too.

You can make a qualitative assessment based on, er, how randy you are. There are various supplements worth trying you can try and use to increase test naturally e.g. fenugreek.

doris5000

I’m in my 40’s, I’ve got a BMI of 22, and a noticeable gut which really annoys me!  Definitely would like to lose an inch or two off the waistline…

twistedpencil

Late forties here.

Divorce and being back on the market made me knuckle down with regards to getting back in shape.  I pretty much gave up booze and hammered the core exercises, got my six pack back and everything.  Then bang, hernia…  slowly the spare tyre crept back, a really annoying look when you’re slender!   Met my partner and have gradually worked off the belly again, but it has been hard work on the core (fixed after an op last spring).  Diet is important, and I’ve tweaked that since being told I was pre-diabetic last autumn…

But it is effort, I’m lucky that I seem to enjoy doing the exercise, but even so cramming in core exercises with life in general has been a challenge!

I still want to lose a bit more around the waist, but I don’t want to lose any more weight, I’m back to hovering around 80kg, BMI presently 21.4.

didnthurt

That is a remarkably clean diet. If you’re doing that without cheating for any decent length of time you should look like a god.

These are the rules and there is always an exception to the the rules. I was out for a family lunch on Sunday and had a full roast, a pint of lime and soda and a slice of carrot cake. There might also be the odd misdemeanor but in the vast majority I’m sticking to it pretty well.

ernielynch

I’ve been doing intermittent fasting as part of my weight loss, it’s been easy enough to follow.

I think you are doing exactly what you should be doing to avoid insulin tolerance, which I believe is the primary cause of belly/visceral fat in later life. So in my non-expert opinion I reckon genetics might be playing a significant role in your case.

The article below doesn’t go into the detailed mechanics of how exactly insulin causes belly/visceral fat to develop but it does point out its role, which you were asking earlier.

7 Ways to Permanently Banish Belly Fat

scotroutes

-1 for running.

Lifting heavy (and, of course, eating right) has me looking most ripped.

I was in 33m30s 10k shape this time last year and I look better now, having ****ed my hip and run twice since August.

Well, there’s your problem. How much weight loss can you expect in less than 34 minutes? 😉

funkmasterp

I’ve said **** it and decided to embrace it. I like my food too much and running is the most utterly soul crushingly boring form of exercise. Bring on the bulge.

dyna-ti

Sit ups do a lot to sort it. try 10 in the morning after you get up as a starting point. Or so a slim friend used to tell me, till the silly bugger drank himself to death, so wtf does he know 😆

But seriously sit ups are god for belly fat, its just a hard exercise to do especially if youre going to have to do a lot of them daily.

funkmasterp

In Arnie’s words “Abs are made in the kitchen” exercise alone won’t get you there.

sadexpunk

But seriously sit ups are god for belly fat,

ive always thought you cant specifically target fat loss, so not sure these are the answer.  yes youll have a cracking 6-pack, but unfortunately itd still be hidden under your belly fat unless you lose more weight.

nearly 60 here and trying once more to lose my belly after a period of splurging following a shoulder op.

had success around 10 years ago, dropping from 14 stone to 11 and a quarter in 7 months by intermittent fasting.  basically skipping breakfast, fasted weight training just before lunch, protein heavy lunch then a smallish tea.

it wasnt sustainable tho obviously but kept in decent shape by always having some sort of gym routine until my shoulder injury, so just trying to get down from 13 and a quarter stone to around 12 and a quarter ideally now.

i think as long as you keep at the weights to minimise muscle loss, and have a calorie deficit of some sort you should be successful.

EDIT:

In Arnie’s words “Abs are made in the kitchen” exercise alone won’t get you there.

true dat.

didnthurt

Thanks @ernielynch, that was a good read. My job is a Project Manager so has plenty of stress and sitting on my rear so I know it is not good for me health wise. Neither is the work trips away to site, as I end up eating out and I don’t sleep well away from home. So some of the points in that article ring true.

eulach

Thanks Mugaboo. I think my problem lies here:

We are often told that we should snack between meals to avoid getting hungry. There are two
    serious problems with this advice. Firstly, the more often people eat, the more they eat overall. And
    secondly, if you are snacking all the time that means you constantly have lots of sugar circulating in
    your blood. Constantly topping up your blood sugars is a bad idea.

I eat 3 or 4 pieces of fruit and handfuls of nuts between meals at work.

ernielynch

I have heard it suggested that fruit should be eaten with a main meal and not on an empty stomach to slow down the absorption of fructose, fructose being the main contributor to belly fat.

Unfortunately fresh fruit is my greatest dietary weakness and I can easily eat 12 pieces of fruit on a bad day. Presumably it is the fructose which keeps me going back for more.

Daffy

Skipping a meal a day seems to help me.  If I don’t ride/run/walk on a given day, I don’t eat lunch.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.