Home Forums Chat Forum Stranger in a strange land

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Stranger in a strange land
    anothersam
    Free Member

I’ve read Rule One, and hopefully my only resemblance to a dick is its boundless curiosity. Fingers crossed this isn’t negative use of the forum, which certainly isn’t my intent.

Greetings, earthlings. I’m from a planet far away, where we only ride on increasingly fractured roads. I was alerted to a thread here, since closed, from a post on another far away forum (which I hesitate to link to should it constitute a breach in the T&C and cause a tear in the spacetime continuum). This was pivotal in my choice of landing site, as there are obvious signs of intelligence here.

So far so mysterious.

My purpose for posting is to alert you to my home world, designated NACF.

That is, quite clearly, not another cycling forum. Nor does it grant me a revenue stream. It is essentially a blog which cunningly looks like a forum through the transparent use of limitless name changes, most from the pages of history (Fyodor Dostoevsky ring a bell?).

Why should you care about any of this?

At the risk of hurting my own feelings, there’s absolutely no reason in the world you should. The only thing I have to offer STWers is [checking I’m using this term correctly] context collapse. You see, I love talking about cycling forums, which can lead to grief, as meta is generally frowned upon by management. If you like talking about them too, in a safe space (or at least my definition of one), perhaps you might consider stepping Across The Road.

alpin
    Free Member

Que?

DickBarton

Are you looking to try and get more users to your website (that appears to be a forum)? If so, just ask…
    Kudos for the clever roundabout story, but I’m not sure it was needed.
    Welcome to the fun house though, you can look elsewhere, but you’ll always look here!

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Someone’s made an early start on the cooking sherry 🍷

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m about as likely to click that link as I am to watch one of WCA’s videos

brian2
    Free Member

🤣🤣. Draw him in, could be fun👍. He may never leave.

blokeuptheroad

I’m about as likely to click that link as I am to watch one of WCA’s videos

Harsh!! 😆

ThePinkster

Very disappointed there was no mention of STW being grokked. ☹️

anothersam
    Free Member
    futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I read the book when I was about 14, enjoyed it. Not sure how I’d react to it now though.

matt_outandabout

Qué?

sc-xc

Someone’s just found ChatGPT…

martinhutch
    Free Member

Was many years ago that I left home and came this way…I was a young man full of hopes and dreams.
    But now it seems to me that all is lost and nothing gained

Sometimes things aren’t what they seem

Welcome to the forum, it’s no Brave New World.

Poopscoop

I looked at the link and my anus didn’t explode or anything so that’s ok.

I’m totally flummoxed as to the forum? I skimmed a few threads and I haven’t got a bloody clue what’s going on.

That said I’ve had zero sleep so can’t be trusted.

I’m intrigued though!

Anyway…

Welcome to the forum op.👍 I’ve got a broken knob, all the men on here have, it’s just the rest don’t talk about theirs. Very repressed bunch.

The forum is a matriarchy you see so we are only allowed in once neutered. It’s radical but it works.

matt_outandabout

@anothersam – do you wear crocs and dry robe?

murdooverthehill
    Free Member

Sure you’re not lost in a lost world?

anothersam
    Free Member

@murdooverthehill I’ll be posting about this (“Where?” “Across the road, natch”) and will definitely use that.

thols2
    Free Member

Hello, fellow groks. I am glad to see that you are interested in discussing Stranger in a Strange Land, one of my favorite books by RAH. I think it is a masterpiece of speculative fiction, exploring the themes of religion, sexuality, freedom, and human potential.

I have read the book several times, both the original version and the uncut edition. I prefer the latter, as it gives more insight into the characters and their motivations. I especially like the character of Jubal Harshaw, the wise and witty lawyer, doctor, and writer who becomes a mentor and friend to Valentine Michael Smith, the human raised by Martians.

I think the book is very relevant to our times, as it challenges us to question our assumptions and prejudices, and to embrace diversity and tolerance. It also shows us the power of language and culture to shape our perception of reality, and the possibility of transcending our limitations through learning and love.

I would love to join you for a group grokking session, where we can share our thoughts and feelings about the book, and maybe even learn some Martian words and concepts. I think it would be a valuable and enriching experience for all of us.

Please let me know when and where the meeting will take place, and how I can contact you. I look forward to meeting you and other fans of RAH. Until then, live long and prosper. (Oops, wrong author, but you get the idea.)

Yours sincerely,

AD

I thought this was going to about Iron Maiden. I’m out.

dyna-ti

I thought this was going to be about Kent. I thought, Yeah, i know what you mean.

anothersam
    Free Member
    fossy

Hmmm, NACF doesn’t have the greatest reputation in cycling fora worlds.

mogrim

I read the book when I was about 14, enjoyed it. Not sure how I’d react to it now though.

Same here, perhaps best left in the past?

matt_outandabout

U2?

Stranger, stranger in a strange land.
    He looked at me like I was the one who should run.

We asked him to smile for a photograph
    Waited a while to see if we could make him laugh.

The soldier asked for a cigarette
    His smiling face I can’t forget.
    He looked at me across the street
    But that’s a long way here.

Oh, and I wish you were here.
    Oh, and I wish you were here.

Stranger, stranger in a strange land.
    He looked at me like I was the one who should run.

I watched as he watched us get back on the bus
    I watched the way it was
    The way it was when he was with us
    And I really don’t mind sleeping on the floor
    But I couldn’t sleep after what I saw
    I wrote this letter to tell you the way I feel.

Oh I wish you were here
    Oh I wish you were here
    To see what I could see
    To hear
    And I wish you were here.

jameso

Glad there’s other Maiden fans about.

Great track, brilliant album.

jonnyboi

Welcome OP, here’s a link to the paid membership options  Linky

Poopscoop

Ok, I’ve actually had some sleep now and I still don’t know what the hell is going on?

redthunder
    Free Member

Sign Me Up!

If it had two forums only, Bikes and Chat.

See you all there 🙂

anothersam
    Free Member

Perhaps this will help:

I have a blog.

I use different names when I post. For the fun of it.

I post about lots of things, including my bikes, the rides I take, books I’d like to see written, and the rabbit who shares the house with my wife and me.

rabbit on computer

One of the things I write about is other forums. Because it’s a subject that interests me.

Chatting about forums can, at times, get one in hot water with moderators. Also, people don’t always feel free to say what they want. Solution: if you’re bothered enough, you can come to my place and talk freely, without fear of being moderated.*

Even though it’s not a forum.

It’s been said I have a unique sense of humour.

Perhaps a short bio also wouldn’t go amiss:
    I’ve been in the cycling world since the late 90s, first writing for Cycling Today, then Cycling Plus, and others. This is me. Also this (though I’m not the guy in the pic they chose). I once used a forum to help me ride the end-to-end, staying with members along the way. The only interaction I’ve had with STW is years ago when Chipps got in touch to see if I had contact info for an author they wanted to use (this guy), as I’d reprinted him on my site.

Any other questions, you know where to go —>

artistic bike

*Probably. Although I don’t have an explicit rule like this place does (“Don’t be a dick”), well, I don’t want people to be dicks, either. In any event, I’ll cross that bridge in the unlikely event I come to it.

matt_outandabout

I have a blog.

I use different names when I post. For the fun of it.

Nope.
    Still not getting what the heck is going on with you.

Poopscoop

anothersam
    Free Member
    Perhaps this will help:

Ah, I think I’ve finally clicked. Thanks for the explanation.

STW is a pretty singular forum. I’ve certainly never found anywhere else like it.

STW has hidden depths, in a good way. It’s actually had pretty profound and positive effects on my life and a fair few others I think.

When I get a chance I’ll nip over to say hello to you and your doppelgangers.👍

CountZero

I thought this was going to be about Kent.

Who are you calling…

Oh, Kent!  Sorry, my mistake, as you were.

Just had a quick shufti, I have to say, reading anything posted by Humbug has me grinding my teeth with annoyance. 😖

anothersam
    Free Member

@CountZero For the record, I’m not Humbug, he/she being one of the very few actual other peeps who have registered over the years. The woman behind him is sharp as a tack, but yes, bunnytalk is an acquired taste.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.