Viewing 36 posts - 321 through 356 (of 356 total)
  • Storm A Brewing Down South
  • bails

Typical, A bit of wind and rain and the South grinds to a halt and the privatised utilities and transport companies cant cope.

Unlike the good old days when British Rail locomotives would leap over fallen trees and power lines would climb back up pylons when they fell down.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Typical, A bit of wind and rain and the South grinds to a halt and the privatised utilities and transport companies cant cope.

Heh, there’s about 30ft of tree inside our substation at the moment. It seems to be coping ok. I’m sure you’ll let us know if anything happens in the North. You could send a telegram 😉

felt
    Free Member

So how ‘exactly’ do you measure a tree inside a substation? Oh wait…..that’s a South v North joke isn’t it? 🙄 zzzzzzz

RichPenny
    Free Member

Well now, here’s what I did:

I walked up to the substation. And went **** me, half of the 60 ft tree that used to be next to it has gone.

Nope, there it is. Right in the middle of the substation.

felt
    Free Member

Sorry, my mistake!

I didn’t realise that anybody was as stupid to walk up to fallen power lines/substation after such an event!

🙄

RichPenny
    Free Member

Don’t be ridiculous. I sent my toddler in first like one of those robot drone things. She ran out the other side so I figured all was well 🙂

felt
    Free Member

Just like any southerner would 😆

rossi46
    Free Member

ohnohesback
    Free Member

According to the Waily Excess another Killer Storm is on its way…

jon1973
    Free Member

I really don’t believe that the Met Office computer is housed in halls bigger than the size of 2 football pitches

To be fair, the computer only takes up half that space. The other half is home to the Met Office football team.

Jamie
    Free Member

I thought it was a baseball team?

I’ll see myself out…

rossi46
    Free Member

wwaswas

this thread baffles me.

Earlier on someone said his daughter watched someone drown as a result of it and here people are taking the mickey out of it being a ‘killer storm’ as if nothing had happened beyond a bit of drizzle.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Was still pretty stormy in Dorset yesterday!
    http://distilleryvesper7-3.ak.instagram.com/b5643248400011e3a23222000aaa0537_101.mp4

[video]http://distilleryimage7.s3.amazonaws.com/b5643248400011e3a23222000aaa0537_101.mp4[/video]

rossi46
    Free Member

taking the mickey out of it being a ‘killer storm’

I think it’s the media headlines and reaction to it that draws the ridicule.

molgrips
    Free Member

But the sensible media didn’t really make a big fuss over it. The stupid media are always stupid so can be ignored.

By far the biggest fuss seems to have been people making a fuss about the fuss which wouldn’t have existed if they weren’t making a fuss about it.

Ironic and moronic at the same time.

Kryton57

wwaswas – Member
    this thread baffles me.

Earlier on someone said his daughter watched someone drown as a result of it and here people are taking the mickey out of it being a ‘killer storm’ as if nothing had happened beyond a bit of drizzle.

+1. It does seem to have localised on exaggerated by the media a bit, but people have died FFS.

aP
    Free Member

I heard the explosion that killed 2 people at 7:50 yesterday morning.
    But to be fair, I don’t ever comment on the chippy northerners complaining both about how brilliant being from up there somewhere is and also how shit it is, much like pretty any thread that hora contributes to TBH.

gwaelod
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member

http://metofficenews.wordpress.com/2013/10/29/unsettled-weather-to-come-but-no-repeat-of-st-jude-in-sight/

There have been a few mentions in today’s media of another storm coming in for this weekend – with the Daily Express suggesting that a ‘new deadly storm’ is on the way.

It’s fair to say we are expecting a spell of unsettled autumnal weather over the next week, with some strong winds and heavy rain possible – but comparisons with the ‘St Jude’s Day storm’ (as some in the media have called it) are wide of the mark.

Currently forecasts suggest that we will see several low pressure systems affecting the country over the next week – which is a fairly typical picture for UK weather at this time of year.

These could bring gale force winds at times to some areas, but we don’t expect gusts to be anything like the exceptionally strong winds we saw on Monday. In fact, the winds are more likely to be similar to those we saw during the day last Sunday – the day before the big storm.

spacemonkey

+1. It does seem to have localised on exaggerated by the media a bit, but people have died FFS.

Heard this afternoon that the reason for a local road closure yesterday morning was because someone had died as a result of a tree smashing through their car 🙁 My missus took that road on her way to work. Makes you wonder just how random these acts can be.

singletrackmind

I live 100m from the seafront on the south coast . It was really windy from midnight through to 0900 approx. Gusting F10 or 70mph , with an average of 60mph. Neighbours had fences blown over and some houses lost a few tiles .
    The rain was very heavy , at times it sounded like the fire brigade were blasting the windows with a fire hose.
    I drove to work at 0600 and struggled to find a route through the fallen trees . There were dozens all over the place , and there were lots of branches on the side of the roads that had already been moved . Two A roads were closed due to fallen trees and I had to take a few detours to get around the closures.
    It wasnt as windy as ’87 , and there was far less damage . Just because it wasnt a gale a few miles north doesnt mean it wasnt a stormy night , same as the tornado that hit 1 mile from my house didnt hit my house , dont mean that there wasnt a tornado .

avdave2

It was my daughter and she’s taking it pretty badly, she went into Brighton today with my wife and found it really hard on the bus going along the seafront and seeing the sea. Whats really got to her though has been the stories about the incident in the papers which bare no relation to what she saw happen in front of her. So yes people have died and peoples lives have been badly affected but rossi46’s contribution in particular is still damned funny and it’s no bad thing that people are laughing because something didn’t have the consequences that it might of for far more people.

molgrips
    Free Member

Windier tonight here in Cardiff than it was for the storm, I reckon.

andyl
    Free Member

Wish me luck, I am just about to take the dog for a walk on the mendips and it is blowing a

burnie
    Free Member

I was just saying to my flat mates that it is worse now than it was last week, here in South Wales!

molgrips
    Free Member

I was considering a run but there might be a risk of being hit by debris..

Klunk
    Free Member

I was just saying to my flat mates that it is worse now than it was last week, here in South Wales!

and here, had to ride on the road where I normally ride on a cycle path because I was faster than the traffic 🙂 !

MrNutt
    Free Member

its windier here on exmoor than it was during the uber mega death storm

rossi46
    Free Member

Certainly wetter than it was last week, well it is down here on the South coast!
    Driving down from London to Hastings I can appreciate how windy it was last weekend- trees down all over the place particularly in the Hawkhurst area.

andyl
    Free Member

Well theoretically mega death storm should have cleared all the weak trees and structures so this strong breeze shouldnt do anything….

now where is my weather forecasting stone…ahh yes, it just blew off…

cheers_drive

Tis windier here on the fens that it was last week.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Just reached 62mph gusts here

jambalaya
    Free Member

I hear a big storm is coming midweek. It was quite windy here in Surrey this evening.

CountZero

Just looking at the WeatherPro (Meteogroup) forcast for the next couple of weeks, and the graphic is showing the damnedest regular pulsing in the wind and sunshine, peaking around midday, every day:

psling
    Free Member

Well, the sunshine pulsing during daylight hours doesn’t really come as a surprise… 8)

bikebouy
    Free Member

I totally chucked it down here in That (Ha)Rogate(daaahhhling) and rained so hard I’m almost expecting to find my wig on the floor and the ride on the CX bike over at Stainburn today to be “moist”
    😯

Viewing 36 posts - 321 through 356 (of 356 total)

The topic ‘Storm A Brewing Down South’ is closed to new replies.