Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 356 total)
  • Storm A Brewing Down South
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pretty breezy in That London this morning. Only real hold up was that Whitehall was shut down (Police all over it, blues flashing. No idea why). Caused quite a lot of traffic along the Embankment.

Oh, and the bike lanes were covered in leaves and smallish branches. Not nice to ride on when it’s wet, slippery and windy.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

TOJ – guy has just arrived here having come up A303 / a31 said it was remarkably clear. So you are probably all ok.

I have lost one small tree and a big branch. Dog being sick has created much more mess!

crazy-legs

Pretty breezy in That London this morning. Only real hold up was that Whitehall was shut down (Police all over it, blues flashing. No idea why). Caused quite a lot of traffic along the Embankment.

Flashy: Whitehall was closed cos of this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24702806

scaredypants

Whitehall was shut down (Police all over it, blues flashing. No idea why)

Minister’s umbrella turned inside-out ?

brakes
    Free Member

MY RECYCLING BIN HAS BLOWN OVER!!!

parkesie
    Free Member

A few trees branches and gazebos scattered around on salisbury plain.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I thought Stoners chart was the direction of students after graduation.

mudshark
    Free Member

No trains at Bookham train station apparently. Still pretty gusty here, no real damage but trellis/shrubbery by my front door ripped away from the wall which will take a bit of fixing.

towzer

Wantage to Newbury across downs – lots of small branches across road and the odd tree down, some big enough to single lane it, just N of Newbury – tree across road blocking, so 4 of us (thanks guys) got out and dragged it into one lane, then large tree across road (passable via pub car park) at The Castle.

Newbury to Basingstoke – mainly leaf mess, didn’t look as badly hit but more traffic may have cleared the 339

Didn’t seem that gusty (7.30ish) as Berlingo wasn’t really moving around

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bit blowy and blustery in Canary Wharf damn near blew my wig off. I’m one of about 12 actually made it in to my floor in an office block that holds 9000 emplyees… it was nice to catch a lift without the obligatory wait of 10mins for another set to arrive 😆
    I drove up last night, it wasn’t bad at all in fact just a bit of drizzle, haing had a few hours windsurfing in 35-40knts and some lumpy swell the drive was welcomed, I did the right thing, though seeing all the “I’m working from home” mails popping in my inbox it seems like I should have stayed South and enjoyed more windsurfing like my buddies are going to (they’re texting me already with tails of dairing do, gits 😆 )
    If it’s any consolation the Thames (from my window) looks a bit lumpy and the Dome looks fine it hasn’t blown away so all your investment in it back in 2000 has been worthwhile. 😉

Yours,
    XXX

bigblackshed

Slight breeze and a couple of drizzle showers this morning in Herefordshire. Seems we missed it all, although someone’s prize rare breed chicken might have had it’s feathers ruffled so that will make the headlines of the local rag on Thursday.

“CHAOS AS GENTLE BREEZE SWEEPS COUNTY!”

The Wife was in Saundersfoot in Pembrokeshire over the weekend. The locals were battening down the hatches, expecting the worst. There was a reasonable peeling wave at Wisemans Bridge. I’ve never seen more than a ripple there in years of spending time around the area.

Thoughts go out to Newhaven locals and especially the lads friends and family.

yossarian
    Free Member

Well a bit of an anticlimax on the Kent coast. Very windy through the night but it felt like less than last year’s storm and everything is still intact. Will be wandering down to the harbour soon as there’s a couple of big ships in at the mo which the kids love.

pictonroad

My office is closed, roof has been damaged. I’ll expect the 10;30 update to report a slight bit of felt lifting…

kimbers

lots of trees down on the way to work into london, and hyde park was closed so I had to cycle round 🙁

LHS
    Free Member

I can confirm that driving from London to Birmingham was completly uneventful. The only real damage i saw was at Oxford services where the froth got blown off the top of a young ladies skinny decaf capuccino. That should make the midday news.

footflaps

Yep, worst has past now. Could take years to repair all the damage, some of those crisp packets will never be found 🙁

Hurricane from hell wind off the scale by brf, on Flickr

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/dtg/weather/daily-graph.cgi?today

rossi46
    Free Member

Did someone say storm in a teacup? 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

In all fairness, it has been reasonably bad in some places, which is all that was being forecast.

djglover
    Free Member

Couldn’t light me ciggie this morning at the bus stop

roper
    Free Member

Blues skies and sunshine here. It was Jumper weather earlier but heading towards T-shirts and shorts now. Is the storm headed to Spain? 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Lots of flooding in the middle of Cardiff apparently btw.

kimbers

2 deaths and 200 000 people without powers just not dramatic enough for some?

nano
    Free Member

Local radio reports Clacton pier helter skelter has blown over

sputnik
    Free Member

All the comedy responses somehow come across less funny because of the dead 14 year old…

LHS
    Free Member

2 deaths and 200 000 people without powers just not dramatic enough for some?

Over 5 poeple die a day in road traffic accidents.

Power companies should be doing more to prevent outages.

footflaps

All the comedy responses somehow come across less funny because of the dead 14 year old…

Or you could put it in perspective, 1000s of people you don’t know die every day from malaria, famine, car crashes, wars etc….

theotherjonv

I feel for the news channels – damned if they do, damned if they don’t. How should they have reported it – there’s potentially a nasty storm coming, could bring down trees and cause local flooding but just go about your business and hope it doesn’t affect you?

As someone said up there – sometimes there is a wolf.

fatladridesbikes
    Free Member

pictonroad – Member
    My office is closed, roof has been damaged. I’ll expect the 10;30 update to report a slight bit of felt lifting…

Oh the irony as I believe you work for the environment agency if you are the pictonroad I know ?! 😆

LHS
    Free Member

The media just need to keep it in context rather than sensationalising it.

They send reporters to stand right next to break-water on Brighton beach. No sign of flooding, no signs of destruction, just some big waves. Armageddon is upon us.

wwaswas

no signs of destruction

70 mature trees down across brighton according to police twitter feed.

LHS
    Free Member

70 mature trees down across brighton according to police twitter feed

Not exactly fire and brimstone.

JoeBones
    Free Member

Nice morning here in Co Antrim 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

The media just need to keep it in context rather than sensationalising it.

Maybe that’s your choice of media. I saw no sensationalism. Just warnings that there would likely be some disruption – and there was.

How should they have reported it – there’s potentially a nasty storm coming, could bring down trees and cause local flooding but just go about your business and hope it doesn’t affect you?

I don’t think so. Given the liklihood of traffic and train problems with downed trees (that turned out to be true) people who can work from home should do so, to make life easier for those who have to travel. That’s not urging panic, that’s just common sense. Also move your bins somewhere stable, get your patio furniture in and tie your trampoline down. Simple stuff to safe some bother.

footflaps

Also move your bins somewhere stable, get your patio furniture in and tie your trampoline down. Simple stuff to safe some bother.

Damn, I knew there was something missing from the lawn this morning….

kimbers

LHS – Member
    Not exactly fire and brimstone.

about a mile from me- close enough to fire and brimstone for the 3 people burnt in the explosion!

footflaps

Couple of tubes of expanding foam and some polyfilla and it’s look good as new…..

aP
    Free Member

Yes, we heard that go off this morning.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Awe don’t get nasty you lot, yes there has been some damage and we all know about the couple of tradgedies that have occured, but on the whole this storm was Blow Out Of All Preportion by the Media so I’ll pass my sympathies to those affectted and hope you get your claims in and mop up the mess without too much hassle, as to the Media, well they deserve all the hacking they get for oversensionalising almost everything they write.. it’s what makes them money.. init.

Keep the jokes/funnies coming, we love a bit of banter don’t we. 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s recycling day for our street in Newbury and most people put their tubs out last night. I was expecting cataclysmic chaos when I took ours out this morning with rubbish and tubs being strewn everywhere and maybe a BBC outside broadcast van filming it all, but it all looked very normal indeed with nothing out of place 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

but on the whole this storm was Blow Out Of All Preportion by the Media

Links?

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 356 total)

The topic ‘Storm A Brewing Down South’ is closed to new replies.