Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Stanton Sherpa 27.5+
  • beamishblue

Just wondering if anyone rides a 27.5+ Sherpa? I know that Stanton sell the bike as such with Trailblazer tyres but these look a bit rubbish. The Nobby Nics or new High Rollers look better. What rims and tyres do folks run to get the best out of the bike as a 27.5+?

Cheers,
    Matt

nemesis
    Free Member

What tyres for…?

You’ll get a thousand different answers.

FWIW I like my trailblazers except on the front when it’s sloppy mud.

beamishblue

Thanks mate. I am aware tyre choice is very subjective. Just wondering which tyres folks can fit in this particular frame with clearance!

cokie

bd197, in this thread, was getting a ‘bit of rub on the chain stays even though Stanton now sell it as a plus capable frame but I do mean a bit and only from the slop we were wading through’.

That was with a Trailblazer 2.8 on Scraper 45mm (inner width) rim.

The Trailblazerz, in my experience, are quite a narrow b+ tyre, so you would struggle with any of the others on a Scraper rim. If you go for a narrower rim you might be able to run a wider tyre.. It’s a bit of a guessing game really.

beamishblue

That’s surprising considering Stanton sell complete bikes with that tyre/rim combo! I wonder if it would be much better with WTB Asym i35s (or even i29s as used on Solaris 27.5+ bike)?

cokie

I would take manufacturers 29er specific ‘650b+ aftermarket compatible’ frames with a pinch of salt.

I had a Zelous Divison Mk2 for a while, which is advertised as 650b+ compatible, but at the slightest hint of mud the drivetrain would be seized solid with mud. the chainstay would carve the mud off the tyres, because of the small clearance, and the jam it against the frame and drivetrain. I was only running WTB Asym i35s on Trailblazers with 1×11. I imagine lots of these frame would do that.

ratherbeintobago

Potentially stupid question – what’s the rationale for wanting to put a really fat tyre on the back anyway? Surely a normal 29er tyre would be better (for the same diameter) as the rolling resistance is lower?

cokie

Ratherbeintobago- Grip, lots of grip, and a bit more comfortable.

johnnystorm

….and there was me shot down in flames in a previous thread for suggesting that b+ was popular because manufacturers would just punt out their 29ers with a new label. 😆

beamishblue

Yeah, I have a set of Hope hubs that I could build up for 27.5+ but I just want to make sure it is actually worthwhile first. If there is no mud clearance there seems little point! I’d be keen to give it a try if it can work with particular tyre/rim combinations though.

letmetalktomark

I tried my Hugo rimmed 27.5 wheels in my Sherpa running a TB rear tyres.

Yes it did fit with a reasonable amount of clearance at the tread but the sidewalls looked like they would be a high rub risk!

As above the TB is hardly a big 27.5″ tyre and I’m not sure a 2.8″ NN would fit.

A 40mm rim maybe.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Stanton Sherpa 27.5+’ is closed to new replies.