Viewing 32 posts - 721 through 752 (of 752 total)
  • 650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,
  • jamiesilo
    Free Member

is anyone running a 29er Sektor, with what rim/tyre combo?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Bit of a thread resurrection.
    I’ve finally started on my 27+ build.
    Codeine 29 with Pikes, Alpkit wheels and initially 2.8 Trailblazers to see how they fit. All clear except it’s a bit tight on the (asymmetric) driveside chainsaw. So, going to stick to 2.8s. But I do want some tyres that look like they’ll actually work, got my eye on Apex lined Nobby NICs.

Anyone gone from Trailblazers to NNs on a 50mm rim? Are they much wider?

I’ll share a pic or too later.

jam-bo

If anyone wants to try 650b+ cheap, I have a set of alpkit rumpus wheels that I’m planning on selling. 2.8 NN set up tubeless. Rear tyre has been repaired a few times but holding air. Wheels/tyres have done about 600 miles but not showing much wear. £160 posted. Email in profile.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Jam Bo, I’m not going to buy them, but what’s the max width of the NN on the Alpkit rim?
    Any pics if it?

jam-bo

72mm from memory. There is another long thread on 650b with loads of info in.

I found the NN too fragile on the rear.

Edit: it’s this thread, look back a few pages and you’ll find widths for a few different tyres. I’m off 650b+ until some tougher tyres come out. Maybe 2.6 maxxis.

nemesis
    Free Member

Funny, I just fitted a 2.8 NN on my i35 wheels and they’re 68mm at the widest (the knobs) with the carcass around 64mm

That’s pretty close to my measurements with TBs but the TBs knobs don’t extend beyond the carcass.

PS I have a 3.0 purgatory for sale – great tyre in pretty much anything including mud but slightly too wide for my bike unfortunately (I still have one on the front)

scotroutes

If you’ve only just fitted them then measure again in a day or two. There can be some growth once inflated.

nemesis
    Free Member

I know but it gives a reasonable idea and ime growth if any is only 2mm (I measured them pumped up to 25psi which is a good bit higher than I’d use them at)

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Thanks.

I’m hoping the apex lined version of the NN will be tougher than the normal one. Just need to find some in 2.8

nemesis
    Free Member

Nextdaytyres

firestarter
    Free Member

Anyone seen a 2.8 27.5 ranger tough in stock, I seem to have missed out on them

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Nextdaytyres

Thanks
    Ordered.

breadcrumb

Bit of a thread revival!

I’m guessing plus sizes won’t fit a 2014 Kona Unit? Not exactly bags of room for a 29*2.25 Ardent on the rear and the stays are pretty much parallel where the tyre sits.

nemesis
    Free Member

Seems unlikely then..

jamiesilo
    Free Member

Anyone fitted a 2.8 nobby bic on a 29er Sektor/recon (same lowers)

jamiesilo
    Free Member

breadcrumb, i had a unit and i could never get very fat tyres on it.
    what nemesis says…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Anyone fitted a 2.8 nobby bic on a 29er Sektor/recon

I’ve got one in a non-boost 29er Pike with no problems. On 30mm internal width rims.

breadcrumb

Just to add to the thread-

I’ve put a 29*3 Chronicle (mounted on a 40mm internal rim) on the front of my Unit in the OE P2 29er fork. It’s got about 3mm clearance either side. Put about 20 miles on it with no issues.

Just stuck with 2.3 in the rear but I’m confident it could take a 2.4 maybe even a 2.5 but it would start getting tight.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Where do people recommend to get there wheels built these days?

I’m looking at either DT Swiss XM551 40mm internal or Hope 35W on hope fatsno hubs, but don’t know where to get these built, usual Merlin’s and CRC don’t list the parts for starters.
    Hope don’t seem to list any wheelset using there fatsno hubs.

What’s the recommended rim width for 3.0 tyres?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I build my own. Dead easy following Sheldon Brown’s instructions.

For a 3″ tyre, I’d say you need 40mm internal minimum. I’m running 50mm for my 29×3, and 30mm for my 27.5×2.8 (which is probably too narrow)

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

Any word on tyre clearance for Exotic/Carbon cycles rigid forks? Havent got very helpful answers contacting them directly..

Recently gone 650B+ (rigid 29 before) and this stuff is grin inducing!! Tyre pressure is an art though, had a few wipe outs already..

frogstomp

Anyone running a 2.8 Rekon+ or Nobby Nic on a non-Boost 29er Revelation (2015/16)? Looking at a 35-40mm rim but thinking it might be a bit too snug..?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Anyone running a 2.8 Rekon+ or Nobby Nic on a non-Boost 29er Revelation (2015/16)? Looking at a 35-40mm rim but thinking it might be a bit too snug..?

Excuse to post this photo again:

2.8″ Nobby nic on a 30mm internal width Halo Vapour rim, sitting happily in a non-boost 29er Pike.

frogstomp

Thanks ir_bandito but the Rev has different (32mm) lowers and, I think, less clearance.

Anyhow, I think I’m going to take the plunge on a set of the new 35mm Boost Debonair Revs so I can confidently go 3″ if I want to.

PSA: I know they’re not overly sturdy but I imagine fine for the lighter (riding) rider / trail centres.. CycleStore have the 3.0″ Specialized Purgatory Control for £22.49. Works out at £20/tyre for a pair if you use a £5 new customer voucher.

devs
    Free Member

I’ve finally decided to give 650b+ a go. I saw that Alpkit had the Love Mud wheelsets for sale for £149 last week so I ordered one. I got 2.8 HR2 from Germany and set them up tubeless to see if they will fit in my Tallboy LTc. They do quite comfortably. I have 150mm Pikes on the front. Discs and cassette will be getting fitted this week and I’ll give them a test on saturday. I’ve just finished a week with Ciclo Montana in Spain in 29er mode with Smorgasbord and Chunky Monkey so the differences should feel apparent very quickly. I’m concerned about pedal strikes but we’ll see how it goes. Can do pics if anybody is interested.

nemesis
    Free Member

OP here, back to check on my thread 🙂

So, how are people getting on with b+ two years in? Are people sticking with it or heading back to non-plus or to the mid-plus 2.6 sizes?

I’m still on plus and interestingly have recently been setting PRs on several segments with near enough back to back comparison to my 29er (both bikes are hardtails, 29er has trail tyres and is a good 2+ lbs lighter than the b+, trails dry and consistent between rides) – not significantly quicker (uphill or DH) but strangely not slower even up the climbs that are fairly non-technical.

It’s left me scratching my head a bit tbh. I think I’m heading towards running the b+ rigid as a good way to provide some cushioning. I still hear about b+ being no good in mud but I find it fine – definitely drifty compared to normal tyres but controllable so a bit of a different style but I find it really good fun.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m still running b+ on my Transmitter. Currently a 2.8 Minion DHF front and a 2.8 Rekon+ rear. Pretty good on anything from dry to medium conditions, still not something I’d ride in mud, but as I mostly ride in the Peak, that’s generally not an issue as trails range from rubble to sludge, but not gloop generally.

I run a 120mm fork up front and it seems like a good balance with the fat, squishy tyres. I probably run around 2psi more than optimum to ward off rear wheel pinch flats and I still haven’t fitted the Pro Core I keep meaning to fit. Brilliant for straight-lining rubble and chunder and deceptively fast rolling. I still have normal bikes too, but the Sonder gets ridden a lot especially when it’s dry and loose.

I had the chance to ride a Trek Full Stache the other day. It’s 29er+ with 130mm front and rear and that was a steam roller / monster truck horror show of a bike. Too much for my brain to cope with… not much trail feedback at all.

Overall I’d say b+ on a hardtail works really well as a sort of compromise between full sus and hardtail. Kind of like a hardtail on steroids if you will. You still get some trail connection, but more cushioning and traction and better roll over on small to medium chunder. Still loving the Transmitter, total hooligan bike, but the Full Stache made it feel like a BMX…

Plus sized and full sus felt like overkill to me – though I’d really like to try a Cotic Flare Max just in case I’m wrong – but on a short travel hardtail it works really well.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m a little intrigued by 29+ but for the reasons you seem to have experienced haven’t really been willing to spend the money to try it (my b+ frame/fork will also take 29+) though I did wonder if b+ rear and 29+ front with a rigid fork would work well.

TheGhost
    Free Member

I’m still liking 27.5+. I just love the grip  with a DHF on the front and HR2 on the back.

I have a SC Chameleon with 2 sets of wheels. I enjoy riding it with both sizes but prefer 27.5+. Its great having the choice especially with the difference in conditions between summer and winter.

BadlyWiredDog

I did wonder if b+ rear and 29+ front with a rigid fork would work well.

I guess it might. I think one issue wth + tyres generally is setting up suspension. Because there’s appreciable, undamped cushion from the tyre itself, filtering out what’s tyre and what’s shock or fork seems really hard. With the Full Stache it was almost like some sort of hovercraft. The overall effect was quite pleasing in a slightly detached but very efficient way, but it was hard to say what was doing what, if that makes sense.

I did briefly, before the Transmitter, run a 2.8 b+ front end with a rigid On One carbon 26″ fork on a singlespeed hardtail with a 26″ wheel out back. It worked pretty well in an odd way – decent cushioning and very good roll over – and I suspect a scaled-up take might be quite entertaining.

eviljoe
    Free Member

I’m curious about 650b+ in a 29er frame also-

Frame in question being a Titus Fireline and rev forks. Anyone tried it?

Also, anyone in Devon got a set of 650b+ wheels/tyres (non boost/20mmfront /10mm rear or qr) I could have a go with?

Cheers,

Joe

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So, how are people getting on with b+ two years in? Are people sticking with it or heading back to non-plus or to the mid-plus 2.6 sizes?

Tried it, went back to ‘standard’ 650b.

Reasoned that whilst it seems a good investment on a Hardtail, it’s kinda pointless on FS, and tyres are too much of a compromise. I’ve no intention of buying a HT again at the moment, so it’s gone for me now.

Viewing 32 posts - 721 through 752 (of 752 total)

The topic ‘650b+ (and other plus sizes if you like) – rim, tyre, frame, fork combinations,’ is closed to new replies.