Home Forums Bike Forum Squeaking shoe/pedal

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Squeaking shoe/pedal
    matt_outandabout

It’s driving mrs_oab and I nuts…80km of it today.

Specialized Recon 1.0 and Shimano M520.

I’ve cut away as much of the rubbery sole as possible.

A wee wiggle of shoe while pedalling stops it for 30 seconds, then it restarts.

Different shoes time?

Stevelol
    Free Member

Put a bit of light lube or oil on your  springs in the pedal.

tall_martin

A wee bit of grease silences my commuter bike. For maybe 80 miles/ two weeks.

One pair of SPD (basic Shimano) are silent with those shoes. Xt platform pedals and saints squeak on each rotation without grease.

trail_rat
    Free Member

How old are cleats.

stanley

Specialized Recons on Shimano xc pedals…the squeak drives me mad. Doesn’t do it on XTR pedals or Shimano pedals with larger platform. I think it’s the slight pronation/ rolling of the foot that causes it. Lubing makes very little difference ime.

clubby

Have this with one particular bike and shoe combo. Only one foot squeaks and only on one side of the pedal. Unclip and flip the pedal and it goes away. Tried light oil, silicone spray but nothing makes a difference. Have been tempted by the Finish Line cleat lube but for the price of it, I’m currently solving the problem by just not riding.

qwerty
    Free Member

I get this on dry summer days with my 520/540 pedals and Shimano & Spesh shoes.

I do a little anti shoe squeak dance in a muddy puddle and I’m squeak free for the ride.

johnstell

Silicone spray?

susepic

How close are the cleats to the side of the shoe? Can you change the angle of attack- is there some lateral movement in your pedal stroke that you could eliminate. But also lube the pedal springs, and a dab of grease under the shoe cleat contact points……

Also, I have some old 520s and 540s on the pub and junk bikes, and these are a right pain, but the newer XTs on the road bike and Xc bike are much less cluttered and easier in/out and feels like more float.. ..

joebristol

Might be a daft comment but are you sure the sole of the shoe isn’t rubbing against the crank? My Shimano AM7s do this just on one foot with Nukeproof Horizon clipless pedals. Took me ages to realise what the noise was – mostly does it in wet conditions ?‍♂️

timba
    Free Member

I’ve got this, Shimano shoes and pedals. Be careful what you put on the sole, silicone spray cures the squeak, but can lead to a comedy dismount/Bambi on ice

fazzini

I get this on Recons and m520 pedals but only on the LH side, which happens to be the side I unclip from.

No solutions I’ve found but at least I know it’s not just me (laugh emoji as assuming ‘we’re still broken here?)

matt_outandabout

@fazzini – LH here too which creaks and the side I unclip.

It’s a year old pedal and cleat. Shoes 6 months or so.

I’ve played all the tricks I can think of to make sure cleat is central to the ‘tunnel’ in the outsole, tried some silicone spray etc.

IHN

Are you sure it’s not your hip? 😉

sheck

My favourite shoes (giro) squeak… Silicone spray immediately before each ride has largely cured it, but it has caused moments of questioning whether they are really my favourite shoes!

NormalMan

Slight hijack but hope you don’t mind me stepping in (pun intended) to ask:

These the latest recon 1.0 or the older version?

I bought the latest ones as a gravel shoe but they kept coming loose under power. Not the boa coming undone but seemed like the lace slipped a bit. Has replaced under warranty and now 5 rides in these are doing it.

Any similar issues for those with the same shoe?

Should add – friend of mine, old school roadie, keeps some Mr Sheen in his tool box for stopping squeaks on his spd SL. I’ve not had the issue so can’t comment but he swears by it.

robertajobb

I’ve used some wax lube, and also previously rubbed the end of a candle into the contact points to stop this

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.