Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • SPOTY
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d venture that the majority of folks in the UK that watch NFL tennis aren’t particularly sporty, and watch it for the sheer amount of snack opportunities.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Andy Murray just ticks all the BBC boxes though doesn’t he? Nick Skelton great advocate for his sport etc but a better shout than farah?

scotroutes

genesiscore502011 – Member
    More people participate in MTB than American Football and or Baseball.

More people drive than MTB but no Hamilton…..

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

I believe the show to be a celebration of UK sporting achievment and sadly the achievements of Miss A have been deemed less worthy than an American Baseball team winning for the first time in admittedly along time

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sometimes I’d like to punch the BBC! Others it’s untouchable. That’s probably half the problem!

lunge

I’m amused that 10 years ago we’d never won a Tour de France and now the guy who’s just won his 3rd isn’t even nominated. I voted for Laura Kenny but Murrays a good and worthy winner.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

More people walk than ride horses but no mention of the current UK race walk champion. Whoever that maybe be!!!

Jason
    Free Member

From one of the trailers at the end it looks like the BBC will have some coverage of American football and baseball in 2017. Which is probably the reason those two sports got mentions this year.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Ah missed the 2017 sports coverage advert. BBC coverage of American Football and Baseball. Makes some sense now.

wrightyson
    Free Member

American sports woohoo!
    Let’s compile a list of the sports the BBC have lost/given up the rights to in the last 10 years. Starter for 10….

pondo

Let’s compile a list of the sports the BBC have lost/given up the rights to in the last 10 years. Starter for 10….

The word you’re after is “outbid”.

mikey74
    Free Member

The word you’re after is “outbid”.

Or, to put it another way, rather focus their money on rubbish like strictly and the apprentice.

Northwind

lunge – Member

And as it’s 2016 I have a horrible feeling that Jamie Vardy will win it, once again proving we don’t deserve nice things.

You know the saying, if you’re not sure who to vote for, just imagine which victory party will be the most fun?

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Also the lack of acknowledgment, in particular for ladies downhill, is annoying with 3 of the top 4 being from the UK.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Or, to put it another way, rather focus their money on rubbish like strictly and the apprentice.

They could have spent it on “sport” instead.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sorry, outbid, on the only channels we’re forcibly made to pay for…
    Edited with a s for gratitude!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the lack of acknowledgment, in particular for ladies downhill,

NO
    ONE
    CARES

I agree, it’s annoying, especially when we have someone as excellent as Rachel Atherton out there. It’s bloody annoying, in fact. However, the fact remains, in the general scheme of things, no one cares about MTB in whatever format. It’s a tiny, tiny minority sport. Given how small it is, the superb coverage Rachel has had over the last week (As mentioned earlier, R4 Today etc) has been excellent, and she has been excellent in all of it. Good luck to her, but sadly, no one cares.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Agreed with the atherton side of things. She is simply awesome but not in the public eye enough.

bex
    Free Member

Closed for having an opinion on having an opinion (mutters…could change the world, obvs)

unknown
    Free Member

Given that I’m a mountain biker and have been for 25 years, and even I don’t give a stuff about the racing side of things, what hope do you think you have with getting the general public to care? I gather from here that she’s had an excellent year but I couldn’t even tell you what Atherton won.

convert

Also the lack of acknowledgment, in particular for ladies downhill, is annoying with 3 of the top 4 being from the UK.

I heard we are kicking butt in tiddly winks and conkers too and yet nothing.

Put it in context – the bloke who dominated (for the 3rd time) the world’s most ‘spectated’ sporting event (12 million – with a mere 4 billion tuning in to watch on TV) couldn’t get a nomination. And no offence to Miss Atherton but the depth of field desperate to beat her is mind numbingly small in comparison to Froome’s.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Always a pleasure.

HughStew

I find it astonishing that Mo Farah wasn’t even in the top three. What has he got do?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I find it astonishing that Mo Farah wasn’t even in the top three. What has he got do?

Skin bleaching, according to some earlier posters.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Some do care though. Rather than No ONE

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Trying to get female role models into the mainstream media is the second part of this project

atlaz
    Free Member

Trying to get female role models into the mainstream media is the second part of this project

In an olympic year there are lots of female athletes in the media, it’s just that outside this, they seem to vanish a bit so it’s obvious the media need to keep the support rolling. I don’t know that you’re ever going to get “normal” people in the media as role models, male or female though.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Sorry did not explain correctly. The research for This Girl Can highlighted that one reason young girls and women did not participate in sport was they felt they had no or little few female sporting role models.

MoreCashThanDash

And interesting that nearly every female sports star on the show talked of the importance of being a role model. And practically none of the blokes did.

It takes a long time to turn round an oil tanker. Maybe we should do more to support it rather than moaning it isn’t going quickly enough.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Mo Farah wasn’t even in the top three. What has he got do?

Run shorter distances. Folk get bored before he’s done the distance. If Usain Bolt was a Brit he’d be a shoo-in.

The research for This Girl Can highlighted that one reason young girls and women did not participate in sport was they felt they had no or little few female sporting role models.

Pity they can’t just do sport because they enjoy it; rather than to be like someone else…

theotherjonv

Role models don’t have to be successful as in winning medals and the like. If I understand properly, part of the ‘this girl can’ program is to create different role models and one of those is the ‘not particularly good but bloody enjoys it’ role model. Which – let’s face it – is the category 99% of male sport participants fall into; all those sunday league footballers, Tuesday night 5 a siders, 20 miles to a cafe then back again cyclists, crap sunday social cricketers, hour of squash followed by a beerers….. none of who will ever win a medal for it but still get the benefits.

Letting ladies know that sport for fun is far more important than sport for reward – I’ll bet you the vast majority of the female athletes on last night took it up and still do it FTLOTG. I have two daughters, one is sporty and one less so, but the role models I have in mind for them are the realistic ones – and if they turn out to be good, then we’ll modify goals at that point.

davedodd
    Free Member

I seem to remember that a number of years ago the fishing paper “The Angling Times” had a feeling that the results were rigged, and started a campaign to get anglers to vote for the then world match fishing champion Bob Nudd. Apparently over one million anglers voted for him, yet he didn’t get a mention on the night (this was before the preselected BBC lists)
    I think Murray deserved the win for a brilliant year. Everyone will have their favourites, and reasons why they feel one person should win and another shouldn’t but I think Murray’s win was great.

convert

Role models don’t have to be successful as in winning medals and the like. If I understand properly, part of the ‘this girl can’ program is to create different role models and one of those is the ‘not particularly good but bloody enjoys it’ role model. Which – let’s face it – is the category 99% of male sport participants fall into; all those sunday league footballers, Tuesday night 5 a siders, 20 miles to a cafe then back again cyclists, crap sunday social cricketers, hour of squash followed by a beerers….. none of who will ever win a medal for it but still get the benefits.

Agreed. The role model thing should be a bit of red herring and not why young people make sport and activity part of their everyday lives and a life long habit. Sadly we seem to live in a celebrity driven society and a population of sheep that only believe something is worthwhile if it is ‘endorsed’ by someone famous. Independent thinkers we are not.

I would argue in the long term linking sport with elite role models is a bad thing as it does not take most of us long to appreciate we will never be elite ourselves and it can give the impression that sport is only for the elite and therefore not for us.

hooli

Rigged or more subtle than that? Surely the video clip they show and the dramatic music has a huge impact on how people vote?

As humans we are very good at remembering the bits we want to remember forgetting the rest. For example an athlete could be shown hugging baby orphans with very dramatic music in the background or he could be shown smashing his racket info the floor while f’ing and jeffing. It doesn’t change how many medals or tournaments they won but would make a big difference to how people vote.

Not to mention the coverage somebody gets during the year, look at how much we saw Laura and Kenny on telly compared to Rachel, Chris Froome of several other very impressive athletes.

dantsw13

For the “mainly” Olympic sports, we just have too many to chose from. I was hoping the ladies hockey team would win TOTY, but the achievements of Leicester City last year were remarkable.

Having met Andy Murray on one of my flights, he is a shy, but very likeable guy.

theotherjonv

What do we think of this ‘role model’ video?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toH4GcPQXpc[/video]

convert

Very good. It would inspire me. Sadly I’m not part of the demographic that needs inspiring.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I think Mo being tainted by having a coach with a background in drugs, didn’t help his cause….nuffin to do with his colour.

I think Froomey doesn’t really come across a a Brit, plus he fell out with Wiggins, so doesn’t have the popularity, who now has let down a lot of people with the revelations about his timely injections…plus a lot of people are peed off with roadies clogging up the roads….so didn’t even make the list.

I’m no fan, but think Murray’s win was deserved and Brownlee’s second too.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

For the “mainly” Olympic sports, we just have too many to chose from. I was hoping the ladies hockey team would win TOTTY, but the achievements of Leicester City last year were remarkable.

They already have from where I’m standing.

MoreCashThanDash

That is an awesome video, both I, and my daughter, loved it when it first came out, gets the right message out there about activity and fun regardless of ability or “conventional” views of athletic body shape.

Sadly I’m not part of the demographic that needs inspiring

I’m not normally, but I’ve struggled to find the time and energy to get out and ride or run for about a month, and I’m suddenly 4-5lbs heavier than I thought I was (and a stone heavier than I ought to be!) Just watching that again has reminded me what I’ve been missing.(In the exercise sense, not the middle aged weirdo perving at women sense)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘SPOTY’ is closed to new replies.