Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Petition for cycle tax or whatever
  • langley
    Free Member

Somebody at work thought it would be most hilarious to send me this petition

Linky

It got me wondering how they’d police it especially as there are so many car drivers without tax, insurance, MOT etc. How would it work for the cyclist?

Personally, i’m for it if there is a dedicated cycle path similar to the Netherlands. That way it would get us terrible people off the road……….

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’d be happy if there was say, a £10’er put on top of all new bike sales that went directly into infrastructure for bikes.

But that^^, that’s just clickbait..

rickmeister

I had that too…

Wrong on so many levels… Its a struggle for the police to enforce phone use and I think it has been mentioned that the scheme would cost more to administer than it would raise.

A petition to “Keep an eye out for each other and share the road, calm down and not be aggressive or in a rush”
    might be useful but not gain a lot of votes…

therevokid
    Free Member

tax for my bike … based on the polution … yep. I’ll pay that.
    Mr. Tax man, here’s my cheque for phukk all … **** !

As one of the BC I also already have insurance, so probably more
    “legal” than half the cars that give me no room each day.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

I do think 3rd party/public liability insurance is a good thing for cyclists. Difficult to make it mandatory though.
    The description of cyclists throwing themselves into the back of vehicles is a weird concept. I suppose the only time I’ve been close to that is when a vehicle overtakes pulls back in and immediately slams on the anchors on a wet day. Anyway this Owen chap must have too much spare time on his hands.

bails

I think there’s a fair chance that there are more uninsured drivers on the road at any one time than there are cyclists (1 million uninsured drivers vs, what, 2% cycling modal share).

As West Midlands Police said in that blog, cyclists aren’t killing people every day and mostly aren’t responsible for the collisions that they’re involved in. “Fixing” something that causes virtually zero harm seems odd when you can’t stop the ~20,000 KSIs caused by motor vehicles each year. Might as well start a petition asking the police to enforce regulations on sandwich dimensions at the local WI.

jimjam
    Free Member

This shit again? Must be Tuesday.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

With the stuff that’s been happening in the political sphere this year, it would not surprise me if this actually went somewhere, depressing as it is to admit to that. Politically, common sense and decency seem to be giving way to “he who shouts loudest” and the anti-cycling brigade don’t half have a gob on them.

DezB
    Free Member

There are some real **** idiots in this world. Most of them drive cars. Some of them start petitions.

oldnpastit

With the stuff that’s been happening in the political sphere this year, it would not surprise me if this actually went somewhere, depressing as it is to admit to that.

Only a matter of time before the DM picks it up, it then gets up to many millions, and Theresa May seizes on it as a way to distract attention from the Brexit shambles and rushes anti-cycling legislation through parliament.

It becomes illegal to cycle without a license, and STW gets shut down under anti-terrorism laws. Premier members are rounded up and sent to an internment camp for re-education. Chipps becomes the first person to be executed for treason in a century. The Sun, Daily Mail and Express are delighted.

MSP

I would like to start an different petition, something along the lines of

Modern cars are too fast and too insular for the drivers to be aware of the damage they can cause to more vulnerable road users. Every year thousand of people are killed on our roads, not by pedestrians or cyclists but by drivers.

In order to create a connect between drivers and the very real danger they create, we would like all cars to have a 6 inch sharpened spike fitted to the centre of the steering wheel, thereby creating a very real danger to the driver of the consequence of poor driving, aggressive driving and the mistakes they make daily which can cost life, every time a driver gets in a motor vehicle they will know they are no longer just gambling with a strangers life but also their own.

How would I go about that?

spursn17
    Free Member

Good luck with collecting a bike tax from my 4 year old grandson! 😆

philjunior
    Free Member

I do think 3rd party/public liability insurance is a good thing for cyclists. Difficult to make it mandatory though.

It would be a good idea for pedestrians too, or indeed anyone in public, but given the chances of cyclists or pedestrians causing significant damage are so low that most home insurance and both major cycling organisations in the UK throw insurance in for free, I can’t see that it would be worth enforcing.

richmtb

What an absolute muppet

A recent video created by the West Midlands police has lead me to creating this petition:

…links to video showing motorists being arseholes

somehow this means cyclist need insurance

what
    an
    utter
    rocket

philjunior
    Free Member

What an absolute muppet

A recent video created by the West Midlands police has lead me to creating this petition:
    …links to video showing motorists being arseholes

somehow this means cyclist need insurance

what
    an
    utter
    rocket

Indeed I think there may be a certain lack of introspection there.

richmtb

New petition

Motorists should just admit, once and for all, that the majority of moaning about cyclists is just petty jealousy and either shut up or get on their bikes too

Mackem

How about some sort of universal vehicle tax based on emissions, seems fair to everyone that.

phiiiiil

I think there’s a fair chance that there are more uninsured drivers on the road at any one time than there are cyclists (1 million uninsured drivers vs, what, 2% cycling modal share).

Didn’t somebody do some research that demonstrated that the percentage of cyclists with insurance was actually higher than drivers, as most household insurance covers cycling and most cyclists are the kind of people with household insurance anyway?

I can’t find it now… :-/

plyphon
    Free Member

Having an argument with my brother over this –

My point is the insurance industry needs to adapt to a changing world – a world where there are multiple forms of road users, many of which aren’t insurable vehicles (through practicality or otherwise).

Popularity of cycling will only increase as climate change becomes a larger part of social awareness, and infrastructure continues to get better. The model needs to change. The concept of “blame” needs to change. The fundamentals the model is built on don’t work in a world where there are multiple uninsured road users.

It’s either that, or we just invent a blanket “living insurance” we all pay a regulated sum to once a year, in case we ever damage anything that doesn’t belong to us.

ads678

It’s either that, or we just invent a blanket “living insurance” we all pay a regulated sum to once a year, in case we ever damage anything that doesn’t belong to us.

That’ll be a nice world to live in…..

plyphon
    Free Member

Yup. But at least my Finance-Through-The-Roof EcoBollox 2.3 can sit safely on the road now!

parkesie
    Free Member

We should all have a number tattooed on us and a badge to let people know we cycle.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Petition for cycle tax or whatever’ is closed to new replies.