Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • SPOTY
  • dantsw13

I hoped I wasn’t being too subtle 8)

ransos
    Free Member

Andy Murray just ticks all the BBC boxes though doesn’t he?

More pertinently, he ticks the public’s boxes…

Anyway, it was nice to see the feature on Ben “401” Smith.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Rumoured Laura and Jason are included in Next Years Honours list..

That’ll be nice.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Indeed the first most common reason not to participate was worry about body image. Way out infront of other reasons. The campaign was planned to address that issue first.

aracer
    Free Member

Has there ever been a married couple (in any sphere, not just sport) both of whom have been “knighted” on their own merits?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

It was as bad, cringeworthy and BBC-esque this year as always. And who exactly IS Clare Balding making fun of in this photo?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

The only thing that’s left a memory in my mind after watching/flicking through was the memorial to those two girls who lost their lives after being hit by a car. Horrendous.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Has there ever been a married couple (in any sphere, not just sport) both of whom have been “knighted” on their own merits?

Moving the thread along, I think its time we stopped these knighthoods for successful sports people. Bliar started it all, so that’s a good enough reason right there!

I’m not ruling them out, but its got to be for more than winning a few Gold medals in a minority olympic sport. I mean how many velodromes are there in the whole of the UK?

Nico
    Free Member

re. diversity objectives I think they put all their eggs in the Nicola Adams basket.

Blair started knighthoods for sportspeople? I’m not sure Sir Stirling Moss would agree. Nor Sir Don Bradman. Or Sir Robin Knox-Johnston. And Dame Mary Peters.

convert

And Dame Mary Peters

To be pedantic Mary Peters became a Dame in 2000, the same year Stirling Moss got his knighthood; so in Blair’s era as PM.

Actually it’s quite a good example of what maybe should happen – she got it not only for what she did personally in athletics but what she used that notoriety and experience for in her subsequent lifetime.

Viewing 10 posts - 81 through 90 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘SPOTY’ is closed to new replies.