Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • Speed Awareness Course?
  • priceyboy
    Free Member

Having been nobbled by West Midlands finest (48 in a 40, mobile van)
    I have the option of taking a course, or taking 3 points and a fine. The course is obviously more tempting. Anyone have any feedback, comments regarding these courses?

loddrik
    Free Member

I dreaded going to mine. But it was much more interesting than I thought it’d be.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

My wife’s done two of them now, obviously the first one didn’t work, and she reckons they’re not too bad.

The first one it sounded like the instructor was a bit of a prat and the second one apparently half the group spent most of their time arguing with the instructor! Either way it’s better than points on your license.

oldejeans
    Free Member

I’ve not been caught since I did the course for the second time so I say go for it

Jamie
    Free Member

I found it strangely enjoyable. Mine was run, as I think a lot of them are, by AA Drivetech. Whole thing takes 4hrs. I had fancy mineral water and mint humbugs on my table.

There WILL be idiots you want to punch in the face there. Guaranteed.

Edit: Oh, and you’re a monster etc etc

jam-bo

Worth doing. You might meet molgrips…

xcgb
    Free Member

Done 2, the first one had some of the bitterest people I have ever sat in a room with!

Second one was better, there is some interesting stuff, nice touch was one bloke on the course admitting he is a driving instructor! 🙂

xcgb
    Free Member

Luckily its not like this!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iGDGR9pdIA[/video]

martinhutch

How much audience participation is required, out of interest? Could you just sit there and zone out into a fantasy world of rainbows and unicorns? Or would the instructor chuck a board rubber at you?

Jamie
    Free Member

Was just reading my old speed awareness thread. Guess who said this:

You may not agree with the rules, but they are still the rules, they are very very simple.

😀

How much audience participation is required, out of interest? Could you just sit there and zone out into a fantasy world of rainbows and unicorns? Or would the instructor chuck a board rubber at you?

You have to work in groups at one point, if I remember right, so you can’t zone out all the time. Don’t worry, there will be some know-it-all who will take up all the oxygen by constantly arguing.

Anyway, a bit of info about what to expect here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/im-about-to-start-a-speed-awareness-course

xcgb
    Free Member

Not much, last one they did a bit of putting you into small groups to come up with answers to questions together, like guessing how many people are hurt on different types of roads each year

You can zone out, its not school, and you can just go for a wee when you want!

All they ask is that you participate, there is no test

Bazz

I found the one i did a few years ago tedious in the extreme, and as mentioned that was mostly down to a bunch of idiots with “It’s un-fair” attitude.

Were i to have to do another one (I try not to speed but sometimes you get caught out) then i’d cycle there and sit through the whole thing in lycra just to annoy the idiots.

pk13

Waiting for my date to come through on mine.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve done a couple over the years too 😳

Do it and PAY ATTENTION. My first one was full of arseholes who just wanted to moan about getting caught and all I wanted to do was escape. In the second one, many years later, the room actually listened and paid attention.

geoffj

I did the one on Manchester (Trafford Park). One of the tutors was a sanctimonious **** of the highest order even reducing one of the younger female participants to tears.
    I did the crime etc though.
    I’d seriously consider taking the points if I was offered the same location (tutors) again though.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think, as has been outlined above, it’s a bit of a lottery what sort of 4hrs you have in store. If the tutors and participants are ok, then it passes quite quickly. Luckily, we only had one dude who thought he knew everything, and kept going ‘but, but, but’. After a while I think he sensed everyone glaring at him, and he stopped.

I felt sorry for the poor translator, as one of the participants couldn’t speak English, as they had to sit through it. Although, they were at least getting paid.

andy8442
    Free Member

Very interesting stuff. Everyone should do one………….if they were half an hour long! After that, 3 1/2 hours of my life wasted.

globalti
    Free Member

I did one at Leyland. I did not find it a life-changing experience because the instructors were too silly and tried to be everybody’s friend. I was even distracted by the gales of laughter coming from the course in the room next door. I have not changed my driving style except that I am even more alert for camera revenue vans.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

STW should be given the franchise for speed awareness, 1/2 a day playing Grand Theft Auto on the PS4, beer and pizza.

Think of the knowledge we can pass on to all the cr#p drivers.

Cougar

I did one at Leyland.

I did that one too.

My overriding impression was how dense some of the other candidates were. One woman confessed to recently knocking off a cyclist, her argument was that it was his own fault she didn’t see him because was looking for cars, and she thought the whole situation was hilarious; another young lad explained that he didn’t know any road signs beyond the six he’d learnt because he knew they were the ones on the test. Most of them didn’t have the faintest clue what constituted a single / dual carriageway, and even when told many didn’t know the limits on them.

hora
    Free Member

Been on TWO courses?

Why not just get an upto date prescription and learn to drive better?

jam-bo

Been on TWO courses?
    Why not just get an upto date prescription and learn to drive better?

Are you the new molgrips?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Do the course. It is interesting/useful and the extra cost/day off is worth it to save the 3 points. This is based on feedback from others, I’ve been dinged twice for speeding in the last 30 years but the course option didn’t exist then, I would certainly do it now.

scaled
    Free Member

I did one ages ago (It was £60, that long ago) at the Country Ground for Northants Cricket, it was awesome as there was a 4 day game on 😀

Edit – must have been 8-9 years ago and not a point since.

xcgb
    Free Member

Been on TWO courses

Yes. over 3 years apart (has to be otherwise they dont offer it)

Once 34 in a 30, second 78 on the A3 dual carriageway hardly terrible driving is it? Can you really say you haven’t done similar speeds?????

Any way i did the crime so i paid my debt to society………

footflaps

I feel really, really, sorry for whoever runs that class.

Jamie
    Free Member

Nah. Molgrips is far more subtle.

molgrips
    Free Member

You may not agree with the rules, but they are still the rules, they are very very simple.

I stand by that. Since I was attempting to stick to them..!

And stop trying to wind me up Jamie 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

i learnt some stuff that i’d either never known or forgotten in the ‘cramming for driving test’ style learning bitd.

if you know it all already it’ll be awful and you’ll learn nothing. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I noticed the other day that there are lots of streetlights closer than 183m in 40 limits, with repeaters on.

xcgb
    Free Member

The repeaters overrule any other indicators

hora
    Free Member

No but I have to cycle on roads where people plainly have a lower sense of awareness etc. Slow down, you’ll spot the signs/developing hazzards.

If you are caught by a camera its not scamming you. The cameras ontop of bridges on the M6 for instance- people complain about those- you can spot them a mile away FFS.

They tend to be painted yellow and even the mobile cameras – theres always a fixed sign a mile or so before warning you. If you ignore it or miss it- your own fault.

I aint on a high horse, I’m probably a better driver than some above and probably not as competent as some above also on this thread. I do wear glasses when driving though and I constantly check my surroundings.

If you’ve been on TWO courses- don’t you **** listen or learn?

But as per usual people who are ‘caught’ will attack and say ‘oh get off your high horse’.

bluebird
    Free Member

I love these threads. The instant assumption that the person speeding was driving dangerously. The assumption that they drive really dangerously all the time. It’s brilliant, really well balanced, well informed argument.

No but I have to cycle on roads …

… The cameras ontop of bridges on the M6 for instance

If you’re cycling on the M6, I think speed is the least of your worries.

molgrips
    Free Member

The instant assumption that the person speeding was driving dangerously. The assumption that they drive really dangerously all the time.

That’s not it at all.

hora
    Free Member

I love these threads. The instant assumption that the person speeding was driving dangerously. The assumption that they drive really dangerously all the time. It’s brilliant, really well balanced, well informed argument.

It is dangerous if you don’t have the ability to spot the fixed signs, the road hatchings, the big camera or the camera van. You lack awareness at your given speed.

If you drive through a fixed camera and say ‘shit’! – it shows you aren’t concentrating enough at that moment doesn’t it?

If so, surely you need to drive a bit slower.

We all like to think we are good drivers. NONE of us are. I can improve. Anyone who thinks they are a good driver at speed is deluded.

Having points or having to attend a course just hilights in black and white that obviously you driving fast really isn’t safe of you. Twice and you aint learning.

globalti
    Free Member

There are so few Police on patrol nowadays that the possibility of being caught randomly has almost disappeared and drivers know they can break the law with impunity. However speed cameras and camera vans rely on drivers’ stupidity and lack of observation to work so there’s plenty of revenue coming in from them. The good driver is the one who observes and thinks and drives at the appropriate speed for the conditions and that includes being aware of the possibility of speed cameras. It’s hardly difficult; the rules on the siting of cameras are very specific and they are always in stretches of road that are marked with big camera signs on poles.

bluebird
    Free Member

That’s not it at all.

What is it then? I’ve read a bunch of posts about the course and then the predictable ranty post about having to ride on the road and it’s your own fault for being caught speeding. With a heathy implication of if you’re speeding you’re driving dangerously.

I got caught speeding. There was no other traffic on the road, there were no pedestrians about, it was broad daylight, I’d seen the speed sign and was slowing down, I was doing 36 and reducing speed to 30 as I was caught by a van hidden behind a bush.

I have absolutely no problem at all with being caught, but I get fed up with the idea that all drivers are speedy phycho death mongers – it’s no different to the all cyclists deserve to die cos I once saw one go through a red light nonsense you read.

Cougar

Having points or having to attend a course just hilights in black and white that obviously you driving fast really isn’t safe of you.

You seem to be confusing speed with observation on your soapbox there.

That is to say, if you drive around at 20mph with your eyes closed, you’re still unsafe. Speeding just compounds the issue in that case.

Driving above a posted speed limit isn’t, in and of itself, inherently unsafe, and driving under the limit isn’t automatically safe either. Say a road is reclassified from 50 to 40; does that mean that yesterday it was safe to drive on at 50 and today it’s dangerous to drive at 41? Of course not. It’s a one-size-fits-all solution which isn’t perfect, but until we invent looking-where-you’re-going cameras it’s the best we have currently.

bails

I have absolutely no problem at all with being caught, but I get fed up with the idea that all drivers are speedy phycho death mongers – it’s no different to the all cyclists deserve to die cos I once saw one go through a red light nonsense you read.

I think it’s very different.

You got a speeding fine or got sent on a speed awareness course because you were speeding.

You didn’t get given a fine, or threatened with a fine, because someone else was speeding. YOU chose to break the law, YOU get the (fairly piddly) punishment. Seems perfectly fair to me. If you were being told you deserve to die because some crack-fiend in another part of the country stole a car and did 90mph down the pavement while trying to escape from the police then that would be daft.

aracer
    Free Member

Why? Given the points on my licence make no difference to me whereas a course would have required me taking a day off work.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Speed Awareness Course?’ is closed to new replies.