Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • I'm about to start a Speed Awareness Course…
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Will it be a waste of time? Will it be a wonderful learning experience? Will I end up freaking out and taking everyone hostage?

Only time will tell 8)

zokes
    Free Member

Try cannabis rather than speed. It’ll make you chill out.

wwaswas

It’ll be like this;

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or6CwOyx30I[/video]

slowmart
    Free Member

Be ready to be amazed and horrified when you meet the other attendees of the course.

You then appreciate these people are driving on the same roads you and your loved ones use which is truly frightening as the standard is woeful.

Then accept your there for a reason and take it as a positive experience

boblo
    Free Member

Driving round Peterborough is indeed a dangerous place to be with reckless speed freaks like you…. 🙂 Presumably the Marriott? Wife went recently, said course was OK, attendees mainly moronic.

scrambledeg
    Free Member

Be aware, you will soon likely suffer ‘Death by View foil’

Oh and buy lighter shoes 🙂

granny_ring

Put your foot down or you’ll be late.

samuri
    Free Member

Remember to deny all culpability.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

what were you riding ?

poly
    Free Member

Will it be a waste of time? Will it be a wonderful learning experience? Will I end up freaking out and taking everyone hostage?

Presumably you thought it was worth doing to save the three points… so not a waste of time even if it might be an inconvenience?

Be ready to be amazed and horrified when you meet the other attendees of the course.

and then realise that you’ve been caught broadly speaking doing the same thing as them, and whatever ‘justification’ you use for why you speed is probably not that different to theirs, and you are part of the problem not just a really good driver who got unlucky whilst everyone else in the room is an idiot.

spacemonkey

Some of the stats (if they’re true) you’re presented with are quite alarming, especially regarding fatalities and where they occur etc. As is some of the red tape re where speed limit signs are “permitted”.

Most annoying attendee I met was a lorry driver who was pretty “in yer face” to begin with but was made to settle down by the arguments of the tutor.

wooobob

Thwock! POW! OOOF!!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Just treat it as if it was a typical STW mass debate and act/comment accordingly.

rickmeister

Thought mine was good, doesnt need declaring to insurance folk, pretty up front and no big attitudes by the folk delivering it… Worth doing and informative, keep an open mind and it was actually enjoyable.

Room filled with folk like me, not young 18 – 20 yr olds with a death wish, just people commuting and the like. Car drivers, bikers, bus drivers all there…

Had to go to England for mine as Scotland dont do this course, having been caught just south of the border..

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Interesting that they seem to ask what offence you did and ask other questions. One of my engineers at work got done for 55mph in a 50 mph dual carriageway, although admited to doing over 260 mph , to which there was big sighs. He was on his drag bike at Santa Pod, which he failed to mention mind……….until a while after 😆

spacemonkey

It’s also worth nothing that when these course first kicked off you’d often (always?) have to appear at a centre within the jurisdiction of the offence. E.g. you live in Cornwall but get clocked in Northumbria = you’ll have to trek up to the northern wastelands (and incur all the extra time/expense etc). At least now you (always?) attend a centre near home.

TooTall
    Free Member

which he failed to mention mind……….until a while after

What a japester. 😐

geoffj

Unless you get clocked in Englandshire and you live in Scotland 😳

portlyone

Bloody foreigners coming over here and… 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Half time.

Thoughts so far? Quite interesting, if a little repetitive, but not too preachy.

Bonuses so far are free fancy fizzy mineral water, and a bowl of humbugs on each table.

Random nugget: Apparently someone got nicked and went on a course for doing 32mph. Harsh.

samuri
    Free Member

That’s our tax payers money paid for those humbugs!

Jamie
    Free Member

That’s our tax payers money paid for those humbugs!

I think my £87 covered them. As such going to fill my pockets with them.

lilchris
    Free Member

Presumably you thought it was worth doing to save the three points…

Cost twice as much as fine when I did it a few years back!

Theory aspect was done by and angry feminist, not fun.
    Practical, treated it as an opportunity to have someone genuinely assess my driving, and it was great. Picked up a couple of pointers, and the woman doing it was a great laugh.

Made up for the morning. Glad I went.

32 in a 30 by the way. Mobile van. Down hill.

lilchris
    Free Member

Apparently someone got nicked and went on a course for doing 32mph.

Feminist got all argumentative when I told her I was done doing 32.

“Impossible” she said.
    Glad I brought all my paperwork with me 😀

Zedsdead
    Free Member

make sure you do a huge burnout when leaving the car park to go home at the end of the day

wwaswas

Now you have to tell insurance companies about going on a course is there any financial benefit over taking the fine/points?

maxtorque

We have “speed awareness” courses, which basically are handed out after someone exceeds some arbirtory velocity.

What we really need are “Look where you’re Fricking Going” courses………

Jamie
    Free Member

Now you have to tell insurance companies about going on a course is there any financial benefit over taking the fine/points?

So far I think it is only Admiral who ask you outright. I imagine this will change.

Anyway. All done. Here are my spoils:

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘I'm about to start a Speed Awareness Course…’ is closed to new replies.