Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Soooo – Dyson?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

And how do you make money flogging them at £299?

Same way as you sell coffee for £2 a pop (but usually more) when a whole bag of beans/ground coffee is £2-£3 for 200grams retail price at a supermarket. (lord knows what Costa etc pay)
    Same way as you sell a portion of chips in a chippy at £1.50 when a sack of spuds is £7.00. ( I may be being generous)
    Same way as you sell a bacon sarnie at the UCI worlds for £4.50.
    You charge what the dummies are willing to pay.

frankconway

EGF above ^^^.
    Manufacturing cost has no relation to retail price; Dyson stuff – ex works price is your start point.
    Add the following:
    – manufacturer design costs
    – staff training (manufacturer and retailer)
    – shipping including inbound logistics
    – taxes and duties
    – retailers stocking costs; think warehousing, logistics
    – retailer store costs
    – retailer staff costs
    – overhead recovery and profit margin
    – re-investment in R&D
    and much more.

Generally the same for Costa; as for local chippie, same principle applies – other than re-investment in R&D

If it was as simple as you make out, business – including manufacturing – would be booming.
    It isn’t.

Some people being dummies doesn’t come into it.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Anyway Dyson are soooo old news, why on this very site I am regularly informed that Shark is the UK’s best selling vacuum cleaner.

CountZero

A bit more detail on the car project, and an interesting fact from the 90’s, Dyson came up with a diesel particulate filter to clean car exhausts, and was turned down by everyone in the auto business, which, with hindsight, looks like a major error…

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/dyson-electric-car-cancelled-inside-story

perchypanther
    Free Member

as for local chippie, same principle applies – other than re-investment in R&D

You’ve obviously never been to any of the chippies where I live.

I was in one on Saturday night and they received an online order for a deep fried , battered caramel Wispa.

That sort of innovation doesn’t come for free.

Viewing 5 posts - 81 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Soooo – Dyson?’ is closed to new replies.