Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Socks!
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

Been using Lidl MTB socks for about a year now but they need replacing and not seen them do them for ages.

Looking at Wiggle etc it seems socks are like £10+ for 1 pair. The sealskinz ones I looked at were £12 reduced from £16 for 1 pair or non waterproof socks?!

What am I missing here?!

Any decently priced mid rise socks people recommend?

kayak23

On one thicky merino. The only socks I use for riding and work.

theotherjonv

On-one / Planet-x merino have been pretty good for me. Bulk buy to spread the postage costs

weeksy

Planet X carnac ones here.

matt_outandabout

Alpkit Merino for winter.
    MoreMile running socks (£3 for 5 pairs!) for summer.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Planet X Carnac ones for the bill. Where the hell is the size guide lol

CraigW
    Free Member

+1 for More Mile. They also have some cycling specific socks with Piu Miglia brand, not sure if much difference. Cheap enough anyway.

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

Defeet socks are the best I have ever used. Retain there shape and comfort superbly.

jsync

Check out Sportpursuit, there are loads on there for £3 and up

lunge

You’ll not go wrong with Planet-X, they have loads and they’re all pretty damn good. Cheap too.

joebristol

Decathlon aren’t bad for socks either. I’m running either theirs (mixture of thicker thermal ish ones and some lower rise thinner ones for summer) or free
    MBUK socks! As far as I’m concerned socks are socks and as long as they aren’t too thick I’m good. I don’t tend to do much riding off-road in really wet weather for any length of time (Max 2 hours probably) and when I commute to work in the wet I have mudguards front and rear and use neoprene overshoes.

oikeith

I picked up a few pairs of Madison socks from my LBS in the sale, when they’ve worn I just pop in and grab another pair, they’re roughly £7 a pair.

chevychase

Brigdale walking socks – the mid-range merino ones all year round, the thick alpine merino ones for when it’s particularly cold.

They’re bomb-proof, they last years (never worn through a pair), you don’t blister in them and they remain warm when your feet are soaking – and, frankly, they’re designed for people who walk 20 miles a day every weekend.

I don’t understand why a lot of MTB gear (shoes included) doesn’t take a leaf out of a larger section’s of society’s years-long tested technical gear. Walking socks for MTB is absolutely a no-brainer.

augustuswindsock

More mile woollen socks, bargain at the moment from start fitness, just the right length, thickness, wash well too!

molgrips
    Free Member

I never paid much attention, apart from not using normal cotton, but my wife got me some DHB ones last Christmas and I can’t believe how comfortable they are. I’d wear them all the time if I had enough pairs.

A red trimmed summer weight paid and two grey trimmed winter pairs. Don’t know where she got them from mind.

footflaps

Rapha socks are £6/pair currently (in their sale)…

jayx2a
    Free Member

How do the planet x ones size up as see they come in eith S/M or L/XL but doesnt give a guide to what size that take them in to! I’m a wee size 8 so maybe the S/M?

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

On One Thickys are great,especially if they are on offer . I’m size 8 – 9 and use the Large/X Large.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Thanks. Might have to try both sizes and bang in between. £2.99 per pair for the Coolmax ones seems decent!!!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

All the On-one thickies I had wore out quite quickly at the heel and underneath the ball of the foot. The socks I got from Aldi last year have been great.

FOG

I find that having huge feet 12-13 limits my choice. A lot of XL socks are nothing like and I end up putting the toes through quickly. The new alpkit merino ones have a genuine XL which are very comfortable and at £21 for three are good value

anagallis_arvensis

I use decathlon socks

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Bridgedale ones for me too. Tried DeFeet and On One but they wear through at the heel too quickly. The Bridgedales just go on and on.

zilog6128

Was very pleased with the Ulvang branded (but subtle and otherwise plain grey or black so suitable for all use) merino ones I bought on eBay a few years back after a tip-off on here! Apparently 2nds but I couldn’t see anything wrong with them. For the money absolutely fantastic (they were something ridiculous like £6.99 for 6 pairs). Bought 2 dozen pairs but all the thin summer weight ones have pretty much worn through now so currently on the look out for some more! (the thicker ones are still OK but I prefer thin socks unless it’s REALLY cold. Never gotten on with thick hiking-style socks at all, always give me blisters!)

Seller had disappeared for a while but now seems to be back, although only small-sized socks available at the moment.

sirromj

Call me weird but I just wear ordinary socks*… unless it’s raining in which case I wear sealskinz.

* as long as they don’t attempt to strangulate my ankles**.
    ** I ignored all advice given to me in that thread.

superstu
    Free Member

I use Aldi sealskin copies. Keep my feet warm in winter when ordinary socks have turned my feet to ice.

footflaps

Call me weird but I just wear ordinary socks*

+1

If it’s really wet I wear Specialized Defroster shoes, which are waterproof….

ads678

Alpkit have packs of 3 for about 8/9 quid for various socks. Mtb, running and general.

footflaps

Their (Alpkit) dual layer running socks make excellent walking / running socks..

jayx2a
    Free Member

Was just looking at the Alpkit Solvitur coolmax ones.

Did notice they do MTB specific ones but they are pretty short.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Not much help I know, but I got dragged to a ghastly conference by Sophos a few months ago. The only upside was they were handing out armfuls of garish coloured socks, but they’re great riding socks.

jayx2a
    Free Member

More Mile ones look decent price!

chiefgrooveguru

I’d just like to say that I hate cotton socks for MTBing unless it’s totally dry! Synthetic or wool are so much better in the winter that I hardly care about getting my feet wet.

toofarwest

I have a mix of MBUK freebies, DHB Aeron merino jobbies and a pair of long Sealskins for the really bad weather.

And a couple of pairs of Jennsocks #fu**cancer.

kaiser
    Free Member

All the cheap on ones are terrible quality in my experience and not even worth the pittance they charge. All of mine are worn through at the ball of the foot and heel after a couple of months. God knows why people recommend the thickies …they’re thin and dreadful imho.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

PX ftw!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve had a lot of the on one thicky socks tear or wear through as well.

That’s more in everyday use than biking though.

The synthetic ones are really good though. Should have got more when they were a quid a pair.

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

Defeet socks are the best. Last longer and retain there shape.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Anywhere off-road and it’s craghoppers ‘nosilife’ for me.

Durable and available in stripey colours.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Socks!’ is closed to new replies.