Viewing 40 posts - 2,601 through 2,640 (of 3,015 total)
  • soccerball 22/23, the WC hump season
  • weeksy

It’s ironic given the criticism aimed at the arab owned clubs that right now City and Newcastle are looking like the most well run

Are they really being well run or are they just not having the constraints of other clubs which makes their lives/fans lives easier ?

neilnevill
    Free Member

That. And the danger for them is I think similar to abromivic Chelsea. Either boredom or an external shock that forces change.

martinhutch

I thought I was imagining it, but the PA at Spurs played the Stone Roses as the players were booed off at half time 🤣

PA Man has clearly had enough of Spursiness.

“I’m standing alone, I’m watching you all, I’m seeing you sinking”

binners

I don’t mind Sean Dyche really. Seems a decent bloke but he’s walked into a car crash at Goodison. They look resigned to their fate now.

I think that was the whole point of his appointment and could end up as a very shrewd move. I reckon the board at Everton accepted after sacking Frank that they were likely doomed for the drop and they needed a manager to rebuild a squad on reduced Championship money and mount a promotion campaign, hence appointing Dyche. He’s already done it twice.

I reckon he’s a smart enough bloke to have a lot of clauses put in his contract that its him who gets the final say on transfers etc and what he says go’s, not one of the owners mates

binners

It’s ironic given the criticism aimed at the arab owned clubs that right now City and Newcastle are looking like the most well run,

Theres definitely a lot of envy as we watch Citeh’s owners pour more and more billions into the already fantastic infrastructure of the club and surrounding areas. They’ve just announced yet another massive investment.

All while across town, our owners are looking at yet more dodgy refinancing packages to extract yet more debt-fuelled money from the club. When you go to OT on match days and it doesn’t look like the ground of one of the worlds biggest clubs, because they haven’t spent a penny on developing any facilities since they arrived. Apparently the training ground facilities all show the same signs of years of asset stripping and neglect

and most community engaged football clubs in the league.

To be fair, Manchester United’s Foundation and Everton both have plenty of local community engagement too, as I’m sure are do many others, if not all. How much of this is to do with the owners is, however, questionable.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

When you go to OT on match days and it doesn’t look like the ground of one of the worlds biggest clubs, because they haven’t spent a penny on developing any facilities since they arrived

This could be Newcastle under Ashley. Same with the training ground with its wheelie bins for ice baths and repurposed kids paddling pool. It’s not right to suggest it is all about money though. The board have spent wisely on a new manager (who was out of work remember) and his backroom staff as well as scouts/analysts, the training ground and a bit of cash on smartening up SJP but I still think that would be less Ashley would have blithely spent on a French midfielder in the hope he turned a profit on him in 2 years. Everton have spent something like £600m on players since Moshiri took over and when you look at their squad, there aren’t many players who they could sell for ££s if they go down. Newcastle are very aware of FFP so I don’t expect City level of spending any time soon but more well scouted buys and more effort spent on increasing commercial revenues.

gobuchul
    Free Member

The Newcastle “project” is currently running ahead of schedule.

Most people I know were expecting a top 8 finish, top 6 would of been brilliant.

A top 4 finish would totally changes things, however, the squad isn’t deep enough to compete at that level, so some signings would be needed to compete. The extra revenue would help but it would need more investment from the owners.

Next season is going to be completely different to this one, you would expect to see Liverpool and Chelsea far more competitive and Villa will be up there to.

binners

It’s not right to suggest it is all about money though.

Couldn’t agree more. Its about an attitude. It means the owners don’t any value of investment above the bare minimum to stop things literally falling apart. They don’t see any value in providing better surroundings for the fans on matchdays. They don’t see the point in providing world class training facilities for players and coaches, despite spending vast sums of money on them (this I REALLY don’t get). They don’t see that a clubs ground etc should reflect its status. Its all just about the bottom line and how much money they can make.

To use a phrase often thrown at a certain breed of politician: They understand the price of everything and the value of nothing

For the record, I think what the new owners are doing at Newcastle looks very smart, very well thought through and there is clearly a plan and a solid agenda. Its obviously being well managed at every level. The bottom line is that they’re making this project while playing some fantastic football which is brilliant to watch. Whats not to like? Other than you finishing above us, obviously ;)

argee

To be fair, Newcastle this year have been good because so many of those ‘bad’ players have turned good, last night Joelinton put on a show, Almiron was back and doing his thing, Joe Willock looking like a call up isn’t far away, Wilson on form, Longstaff using this season to reignite his game, it’s been a shock seeing so many players laughed at before playing to their potential, at the same time as the new players come in and hit the ground running.

Problem for them is that they’ve over performed this year, next season will be harder for them, the gaps in the team were obvious last year, not so much this year.

dazh

Are they really being well run or are they just not having the constraints of other clubs which makes their lives/fans lives easier ?

No, they’re simply being very well run. Aside from the money spent on players, the investments they’re making into the grounds, infrastructure, training facilities and the surrounding communities (talking mostly about City as the toon are still in the early stages but have similar ambitions) could easily be made by other clubs. Why are the other clubs not doing that? As binners says it’s because their owners don’t give a shit. Maybe city and Newcastle’s owners are doing all that in response to the criticism they receive, but I doubt it. I think they simply have bigger ambitions than just owning a football club for the prestige, and understand that it’s about more than just what happens on the pitch.

ElShalimo

Citeh often get hammered for “buying the league” but they’ve spent less than others in the top 10 in the last 10 years

People have very short memories. Man Yoo spent fortunes in the Ferguson era and still do.  Liverpool used to win the league in late 70s, early 80s then go out and buy the best 1 or 2 players available and throw them in the reserve team until they were ready for 1st team action.  None of this is new but the sums of money involved are now bonkers

gobuchul
    Free Member

None of this is new but the sums of money involved are now bonkers

Even Sunderland were known as the “Bank of England” club in the 1940’s and had a big financial scandal in 1957. Fined and directors suspended.

binners

Citeh often get hammered for “buying the league” but they’ve spent less than others in the top 10 in the last 10 years

If anyone thinks its easy to ‘buy a league’ than I’d point them in the direction of Everton – 600 million in and nailed on relegation, Chelsea – 650 million THIS SEASON ALONE and presently in 11th and absolutely dismal! and United – Pogba, over his contract, cost us 350 million in transfer fees and wages and was utter shite then left on a free!

Oh, that it was that easy. Like most problems, just throwing money at it rarely does the trick. All the examples above tried it and failed because they all had one thing in common… absolutely clueless owners who thought that throwing money at it was the solution and not addressing the real issue, which is their own appalling management

Caher

There’s still a direct correlation between huge financial backing and success. Prior to their takeover you wouldn’t consider city in the top ten. Same with Chelsea 20 years previously.

MSP

Even Sunderland were known as the “Bank of England” club in the 1940’s and had a big financial scandal in 1957. Fined and directors suspended.

Manchester united needed city fans to have a whip round fund their kits (hence the nickname the rags) before a businessman bought the club and started injecting money.

Liverpool went on a quite remarkable spending spree to buy their way out of the second division in the 60’s to kickstart their success.

Prior to their takeover you wouldn’t consider city in the top ten.

There was a time, within my lifetime, when Aston Villa and Everton would have had the highest average league position. I suspect that even before the takeover city would still have been in the top 10 in the average league position table.

It seems that the people who try and bash city’s history, don’t actually know much history.

ElShalimo

And are not from Manchester… probably from Salford, Staines, Singapore or Stockholm

martinhutch

There’s still a direct correlation between huge financial backing and success.

Except in Reading’s case, obviously. :) Didn’t you get done for financial misconduct by the EFL and docked points a while back? Who owns you these days?

I suspect that even before the takeover city would still have been in the top 10 in the average league position table.

Top ten twice in the previous half-decade, I think. Obviously the investment was transformative, but shrewd management and buying the right players (mostly) made a massive difference as well.

Caher

Mainly Renhe Sports Management Ltd after a succession of dodgy foreign owners.
    No financial irregularities, the money was just resting in the account.
    1-0 down ATM so will playing market towns next year.

MoreCashThanDash

Tractor Boys are Championship bound! 🎉

swdan
    Free Member

Was hoping for a Plymouth cock-up but that can wait until the next game. Fantastic result from the Tractor Boys, what a way to secure promotion!

MoreCashThanDash

Fantastic result from the Tractor Boys, what a way to secure promotion!

Goal difference currently +66 👍

binners

Just popped on to get an update on how everyones got on

Some happy, some not so much?

Well done to the Tractor Boys!

A couple more goal-fests today. The Brighton score? WTF?

Can’t believe United v Villa isn’t televised tomorrow. It should be an absolute corker and I’m not confident at all after the 2nd half collapse to Spuds. Somehow I’ve ended up with a house full of scousers again tomorrow for the Liverpool Spurs game

@neilnevill
    – can you lend me a Spurs top? :D

theotherjonv

Mainly Renhe Sports Management Ltd after a succession of dodgy foreign owners.
    No financial irregularities, the money was just resting in the account.
    1-0 down ATM so will playing market towns next year.

Got a draw in the end so still not officially down, but we’re stood on the chalk mark, the hood’s over our head and Huddersfield are moving to the lever with their 2 games in hand.

But – it’s not over yet. Huddersfield’s games are not nailed on, away at Cardiff and then Sheff Utd in mid week. They need 4 or more from them to make next weekend’s game against us irrelevant. A win and a loss, 2 draws, or less and there’s still all to play for. 2 losses in particular – would make their GD go below ours and then a draw favours us, one win one loss for them could push their GD below or level to ours and make a win still enough for us on the last day by GD. So many permutations.

And then Rotherham have ‘Boro tomorrow but Wigan on last day, so although Wigan are down the professional pride of **** someone else’s season up can be strong. And Rotherham have shit GD too, so they could end up below both us and Hudds.

And then finally –

Who manages Huddersfield?

Who used to manage Sheff Utd and Cardiff and is loved by them?

And who hates Reading?

Our fate is almost literally in the hands of Neil Warnock…..

woody2000

97th minute winner for bradford today, playing second in the table Northampton.  Dented the cobblers hopes of auto promotion temporarily, and definitely boosted our play off position.  Woop 😁

binners

If you’ve not watched MOTD from last night then it’s worth a viewing just for the Pascal Groß screamer which it’s difficult to see not being goal of the season. Gazza-esque!

Edit: Here we are

ElShalimo

I think he’s been watching a Luis Suarez YouTube highlights vid ( not the biting one)

gobuchul
    Free Member

Southampton haven’t read the script here mind!

theotherjonv

In Eddie we trust….

gobuchul
    Free Member

2nd Half – Touches in opposition box – Newcastle 30 – Southampton 0

I would love to know what he says at half time?

sandboy

Spurs showing real consistency!
    Edit, almost a blueprint of last Sunday!!😀

theotherjonv

Spurs 2 down in 5 minutes……they couldn’t could they. It’s beyond Spursey

binners

Liverpool to out-do Newcastle against Spurs? 😂

salad_dodger

I know Romero is a World Cup winner, but he is abysmal. So is Porro. And Dier. And Davies. Kane is the only player we have who could get in any other team in the league. The rest of them are ****.

salad_dodger

I can just imagine Nagelsmann watching this and thinking “yup, Spurs are the team for me”.

weeksy

BBC reporting there are Spurs fans leaving already

frankconway

Another round of refunds for Spurs travelling fans?

binners

Great comment by Gary Neville

“Looks like the Spurs players are going to be reimbursing the fans again. They might as well set up a direct debit”

😂

theotherjonv

Spurs being ever more Spursey, they aren’t out of this yet!

argee

Kane trying to get a fellow pro sent off again, why is he allowed so much access to the ref to give pointers every game?

sandboy

As Spursey as it gets!

Viewing 40 posts - 2,601 through 2,640 (of 3,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.