• This topic has 2,850 replies, 64 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,121 through 2,160 (of 2,851 total)
  • So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

I went down to try the mountain bike track at Redbridge (Hogg Hill) earlier and stayed to watch this evenings road bike racing as some of my clubmates were helping out and one of our guys was also in the 3/4 race (and it looked like he got points).

I was pretty impressed by the speed, especially given how hilly the circuit is – but was also surprised by just how many punctures there were. Also very surprised by just how high end some of the bikes were, including a very nice Ti Moots as well as a Dogma.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Dogmas are pocket change for crazy inflated london salaries aren’t they?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Dogmas are pocket change for crazy inflated london salaries aren’t they?

Sadly not for my crazy inflated London salary!

crosshair
    Free Member

It does look exciting jd77 but I do quite enjoy having nice grass margins for bail out options 😆

I’ve got withdrawal symptoms today!

nathb
    Free Member

Yeah the sound of someone smashing into those metal barriers will be carried with me to the grave, alongside the smell and noise of a doctor drilling through my hands bones, grim!

Week 1 of the training plan done! Today was definitely a testing my mental fortitude, 4 hours alone on a bike with just music. My regular Sunday jaunt now occurring on Saturdays. Must keep the end goal in sight, I think it will help mentally when I can book them on BC website.

306 miles / 16 hours is a fair old whack.

matts
    Free Member

I was pretty impressed by the speed, especially given how hilly the circuit is

One of my teammates did the e12 race last Thursday and the bunch did 43kph for the first 30 minutes before he got dropped. That’s crazy fast for Hog Hill.

epicsteve
    Free Member

One of my teammates did the e12 race last Thursday and the bunch did 43kph for the first 30 minutes before he got dropped. That’s crazy fast for Hog Hill.

They were definitely not hanging around. A guy on a Team Wiggins Dogma was off the front for most of the race and was pushing things on. He came 3rd in the end although it seemed quite odd as with a couple of laps to go he seemed to deliberately slow down to let the pack catch him.

crosshair
    Free Member

I think I was being sarcastic with my aero pose here 😆

matts
    Free Member

Ha! Love it.

You should’ve been in that position for that TT a couple of weeks back. 😈 😉

crosshair
    Free Member

Does anyone know what’s happening with next years Winter Series yet? Have BC found anyone to take it over??

TiRed

Winter series will return with a new promoter. Mark hasn’t said who yet.

crosshair
    Free Member

Cool! Thanks. That’s good news. My Saturday availablilty isn’t as good as last years sadly but I’d like to do some again.

nathb
    Free Member

Imperial aren’t doing it anymore?!

What happened?!

crosshair
    Free Member

So it’s the end of an era for the Imperial Winter series, the event that was started 20 years ago by Doug and developed over the last 12 with Lucy and Rich. We’ve thought long and hard and believe that it’s time to handover to someone new who will bring fresh ideas and make it different if not necessarily better! We’re rightly proud of what we have developed particularly the 4th cat races and continuing to support the women’s events when numbers were low. It’s has also provided the platform for sponsors to raise their profile for new products and emerging services: but in most cases it’s just because they love the sport!

nathb
    Free Member

So just a quick update, 12 days into my plan and I’ve managed to keep it up thus far.

FTP remains unchanged at 316w, but I feel this is low now?! Strava is estimating it at 324w.

My 3 weeks of builds look a little like this, I have built in some variation along the way such as some Tuesday races at Hillingdon:

Monday – Rest or 1 Hour light cycle

Tuesday – 6x 12 mins at 320w with 3 mins rest in between and then a 45min-1hr light session to ease the legs (my HRM was freaking out on this, low battery):

Wednesday – 3 hours light cycling split throughout the day

Thursday – 1hr pyramid intervals and a 1hr leg spin

Friday – 1 hour of 15 secs sprints with 5 mins rest inbetween

Saturday – 3 hours at a moderate to quick pace with random efforts (52.5 miles) https://www.strava.com/activities/1018831992

Sunday – 4 hours gentle spin (c.75 miles) https://www.strava.com/activities/1020798106

So yeah that’s me for a while, hopefully I can keep it up!!

My least favourite are Tuesday’s as it’s 1:45 of pain and Sunday as it’s a bit of a test of my mental fortitude bashing out 4 hours…
    Hopefully it’ll be worth it and I’ll get some more points on my Cat 3 licence this year 🙂

TiRed

On the front next Tuesday for the E123 then?

nathb
    Free Member

Haha no @Tired – when I get to my peak weeks I will potentially venture up. 3s or 3/4s until then!

crosshair
    Free Member

Good luck Nath! You and Jonny should be a good influence on each other 😆
    I pity the rest of the bunch with you two riding 😀

nathb
    Free Member

I’ve got a squeak, it’s ruddy annoying and I can’t figure it out… other than:

1) The gold chain is going, turns out I’ve down 2,048 miles on it and it’s way past .75 – luckily not at .1 just yet.

2) The non drive side bearing looks like it’s gone too, it’s a weird bottom bracket, but looking at it I just need to bash the bearing out and replace with another MR2437-2RS one?!

As you can see it’s not been very effective:

Hopefully replacing both will solve the squeak!

nathb
    Free Member

How bad are my bearings?

This bad:

[video]https://youtu.be/zDajfUmwsao[/video]

New bearings should arrive tomorrow but I’ll only have a 90 min window to replace, not sure I’m going to risk it yet…

Also looks like I’m stuck with a 11-23 cassette as it’s chewed the freehub body up so much that I can only remove half of the cassette… so a steel replacement body is on order….and I’ll take a hammer to the old one to remove the cassette lol.

crosshair
    Free Member

Tense stuff! There’s a theme developing in this thread with pre-race bearing issues 😀

Anyway, good luck with the race! Let’s have some pre race nitty gritty….
    Plan?
    Expectations?
    Predicted result?

I’m getting nervous now. My HR goes up just thinking about it! The one guy in last time’s succesful break who hasn’t moved up to Cat 3 isn’t racing tomorrow so I don’t really have a mark.
    This is my last race for a while so I would like to try something again- even if it’s just a few solo efforts for ‘fun’!
    Matthew from TFC has said he’ll play, so I could even initially go solo and see if he can get across.
    The forecast is for light winds so the pace could be too high anyway- in which case I’ll happily sit in.

On reflection, other than a touch of bad luck in the bunch I was in, I put in a good last lap showing- I don’t think I would have placed any more than one higher if I hadn’t tried my early effort.

nathb
    Free Member

Plan – warm up for 10 mins near the back, work myself to the front and then attack. The race is taking over my 6×12 min 320w intervals so it needs to be tough to build my fatigue lol. May try organise something with Johnny.

Expectations – I pull the bunch along for my workout lol

Result – top half, would be nice to grab a cheeky point or two, depends on numbers though…

Not really put that much thought into it as I’ve got an interview beforehand 😆

blader1611
    Free Member

Nathb those bearings sound like you have put them in a tumble dryer! Shouldnt take too long to replace if you have the tools. Good luck with the race and dont forget to put a report up here.

nathb
    Free Member

@blader – Yep! I could hear it on the turbo trainer but thought it was the tyre against the turbo as I couldn’t hear it out on the road.

I have the right tools, it’s whether or not to gamble the time… I suppose I’ve cycled on them this far 😆

nathb
    Free Member

Almost got my M2 workout: https://www.strava.com/activities/1035050112

The good:
    – Worked hard at the back for the first 10-15 mins, helped a couple of guys get back into the bunch.
    – Moved up and built my confidence riding in a pack, I still like being on the outside though…
    – Cadence is up to an average of 96 = speed drills have been working.

The bad:
    – More people turned up than I was expecting.
    – Couldn’t keep my HR down, maybe less coffee beforehand?
    – By god it was sketchy as fudge!!
    – Some arrogant fools taking stupid & pointless risks such as purposely overtaking on the grass!?!
    – Johnny and I were in a good position with 2/3 laps to go. Plan was for me to launch an attack with him on my wheel, well that was until we got pushed out onto the grass next to the clubhouse – a knock on effect from someone’s sketchy cornering. And that was that, too busy to get back up towards the front.

Sat up towards the end to avoid any potential crashes.

crosshair
    Free Member

Expectations were high for this evening and the pressure was on. This was set to be my last race for a while.

When I first constructed my plan to try and raise my game, I knew pushing this far into June would be touch and go. It’s one of the critical months of my year at work and the luck of the weather largely decides how easy or tough things are.

Thankfully, with the dry spring and early summer continuing, things are generally good and there was nothing to stop me getting away for a few hours. The obligatory ‘what if’s’ did flash through my mind but to be honest, getting home for this evenings rounds would be the least of my worries if I broke a bone! It would be wrong to call this a premonition mind you as I get the same thoughts every race!

My prep was mixed. I was trying to carry through my good form from two weeks ago by doing a race intensity effort every 72hours (either Zwift or XC) with plenty of rest and a bit of endurance in between. Whilst not 100% specific, they all got the HR into the right sort of zones- although the brutal KISS pursuit race on Saturday was a bit fruitier than I was expecting!

The race bike felt like when I used to get into my 306 after a 12hr shift driving tractors as a student- light, nimble and speedy!
    Warmup was sedate until 19:30 when I whizzed back to switch Jerseys and then ramped it up for ten minutes.

I even avoided too much confrontation with the Comms on the start light and slinked into the middle of the bunch.

Matt was here, hopefully carrying good fitness from his big weekend ride and Ben was also here. He had clocked 134miles on the Dragon Ride at 16.5mph so his F+F would both be through the roof!

I had of course done my over-blown research on the entrants and the field was around the same size as usual but the successful break-artists from the last few weeks were missing- mostly because they are now Cat 3’s. This left all the top dog spots to be filled.

Setting off, I felt awful! That’s not just artistic license to give myself a chance to enhance my epic finish either! I had been knackered all day at work and even a crafty afternoon nap from 3-4 hadn’t touched it.

The system was fully primed with sugar and caffeine now though so I knew it was as good as it was going to get.

The pace felt zippier than some races but probably wasn’t yet. I don’t really know what happened on the first lap as I had drifted to the back and couldn’t see.

At this point I laughed out loud at my hopes of getting in a break- I was currently just trying not to get dropped.
    Lap two was even worse as the first attempts started pinging off the front. Again, I smiled at the thought of trying to bridge- this lap was 291w just trying to follow the bunch.

That pretty much set the tone for the race. Attack, chase, attack, chase, chase, chase etc.

Why is it, wherever I race, the crisp, fresh-looking guys in plain Rapha seem to love their solo break attempts! It must be for the Photographer I reckon because they are never anywhere to be seen at the sprint.
    I joke of course, fair play to them for having a go.

A few laps in and Matt was on the prowl. He came past with intent. Sadly, I was still waiting for the afterburners to light up so could only watch initially.
    He moved expertly through the bunch and launched across to the two man break that was hanging just 50m off of the front. Kudos for the move! Finding a surge from somewhere, I followed the wheel of the guy who was following Matt.

Now with hindsight, this is stupid!! I realise as I write this that I should have covered the front of the bunch and defended him but I wasn’t really thinking straight at this point and thus blew both of our chances. A lesson learned perhaps.

Anyway, whatever gap there was before was now a strung-out train of riders linking everyone back together. As Matt’s fuel light came on and he was running on fumes, a couple of guys finally started pulling and I swung in front of him to try and keep him in the move but sadly the hill had arrived and it was all back together.

Now time to cling on! I’m not sure if it was this lap or the next but at one point, I very nearly lost the wheel up past the finish line and had to put a huge sprint in to catch back on- hitting 1900w in the process! A shame I couldn’t have unleased THAT at the end!

The more I race there, the more a few things niggle me about Thruxton. But the timing of the races is a big issue. The only time I saw a good break get away with about 8 riders clear and looking focussed, was just before we got lapped by the Cat 3’s. And the Motorcycle Comm pretty much shut their move down to ensure the Cat 3 break could get past unhindered.
    I’m not saying it ultimately changed the outcome of the race, but it did spoil a good chance of something other than a bunch sprint getting rewarded.

I reckon doing the Cat4 race earlier with the Juniors and then the Woman’s race later with the Cat 3’s would be a far better format.

I kind of hit my lowest ebb at this point. I was still working hard and knew my only chance was a sprint. I started to consider the last lap and a plan formed in my mind. Basically, every lap of this race, we had been reeling in moves up the hill and had pretty much gone full gas. My HR was always 180 by the end of the pit wall. This told me that there was absolutely no point in forcing a move-up on the last lap. It didn’t matter if I hit the base of the final climb (such as it is but you get the point) in last place- if I went any harder than usual, I wouldn’t have a sprint.

Instead, I had to surf. I had been Nathing all race and leaving big gaps at times but it was time to focus and concentrate on holding a tight wheel at all times.

Thinking back to last time, I knew the right-hand side would be a better option. The bunch favours the left and tends to box you in. The pace stayed high from three laps to go this week. I had no answer other than to push the pedals around and follow the best wheel I could.

As we hit the bell, the pace rose further then stopped, then surged again as a few people tried a long distance flier. The plan stayed the same though, sit in and be patient.

At around this point, instead of the panic that I was expecting, a serene calmness descended. This was it. This was the moment. This was the culmination of the year’s racing. All together with all to play for. I looked ahead and tried to gauge where the points finished. With this imaginary line in my head, I knew I had to be up to that kind of region as we tipped into the chicane and after that, it was time to channel every last ounce of energy I had devoted to this since December, into my final sprint. I felt up for it! I felt ready to rip this carbon Chinese frame into pieces! I was 100% focussed on my goal.

Into the climb and I surfed gently up the right hand side. Everything felt good. My plan was coming together and I was moving up for little effort.
    Guys in front were drilling it and just towing us up the slope. My imaginary line of the front 10 places came nearer and with just 80m until the chicane, I was nearly there and felt like I was floating on air.

A quick interlude at this point to say that I am well aware that this also sounds like artistic license. A realisation of my chosen narrative if you like. The old ‘I felt shit, had a cold, missed the bus, blew a tube and still rode away to victory’ routine. But I tell you- whether I could have pulled it off remains forever an unknown but it almost doesn’t matter- the feeling I had at that moment was as good as that illusive point is going to feel I’m sure.

Anyway, back to the final 500m. Ben was well placed as usual, but along with the guys around him, they were coming back to me and the guy I was surfing. I also had a great line through the chicane eyed up and was as ready as I was ever going to be.

I loaded the dice into the shaker, closed my eyes, shook as hard as I could and tipped them out onto the table. I needed two sixes to pull this sprint off.

The first dice rolled just a few moments and landed. A One!!!! Shit. At this point, the closest moment to a crash yet at Truxton played out. Ben and another guy collided and as always, the counter-steer took hold and seemed to suck them towards each other.
    They were going down and hard it seemed. But no! They held it up. The guys in front seemed to accelerate away as all of us behind braced ourselves.

It was back on though and the other dice was still spinning wildly!!!! I could yet get a point with a single 6 perhaps!
    We all re-accelerated towards the chicane and I will say that the sun was awful. That’s all I’m going to say however as I don’t know who reads this. As I stood up and began my assault on the grand finale, the sound of bikes scraping down the road hit my ears and two shapes fell across the Apex in front. My perfect line was now blocked and a good 6-8 riders on the inside were already through, meaning at least 15-20 riders were away. As I took to the rumble strips, I realised one rider was Ben so I pulled over to give him a hand.

The Commissaire ran over from his car and immediately started questioning for blame but sadly the sun means I have no answers to give.

And that’s it for now. No points but another great evening. Yes. it was a bit negative and yes the crash was a little senseless but the passion remains and I can’t wait to get back into it again.
    Needless to say, another plan has been written and my sights are set on Big Events at Hillingdon in October.

crosshair
    Free Member

Well done Nath! That was a quick race! Shame about the riding standard. Hopefully if you do a few more with the same faces, you’ll get a handle on who’s safe and who’s not.
    Did you enjoy it? Did it light a fire under your training plan or make you want to set light to it?? 😆

nathb
    Free Member

Nice write up as always CH 🙂

Yeah I enjoyed it, achieved my objectives for the evening bar the lead out with johnny. My legs felt heavy last night and I’m not sure I’m in a rush to do it again just yet….

Looking forward to having new bearings installed in my bottom bracket!!

nathb
    Free Member

So my plan has taken a bit of a hit this week as I had 6/7 interviews lined up I was madly preparing for. Also woke up feeling a bit ill on Wednesday morning so only managed to get 1 out of the 3 hours done.

This evening I was interviewing until late and so only managed 1hr 20 of the 2 hours, but got the main bit in. Tomorrow is only 1 hour so I think I can manage that!!

The racing bike is out of commission until the new BB shows up: BOTTOM BRACKET So I’ll be using the commuter on Saturday and hopefully testing the new BB on Sunday.

I’m in high spirits as next week is a R&R week which works out brilliantly for me as I start a new job next week!!!! 😆

(which is a bloody good job as it’s just cost me £75 for a new BB and £60 for a new free hub body!!!!)

gray

Congratulations on the new job! Now you can get back to concentrating on entertaining us with tales of racing! 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Congrats on the job nath.

Let us know if the BB is good. Those wheels manufacturing ones look like a good idea.

nathb
    Free Member

Thanks guys!

Focus is the training plan until august, maybe Zwift races 😆

Will do mrblobby, I’ve got high hopes for it 🙄

nathb
    Free Member

New BB fitted, absolute doddle – didn’t even need to use the press fit.

Unfortunely neither of my 16 notch tools were big enough to get around the BB and tighten it properly so it’s as tight as I can get it using hand and *ahem* a screwdriver lol. So need to find a 48.5mm 16 notch tool asap.

Took a lot of trial and error on the spacers front, it’s moved the chainset closer to the frame so I’ve used a spacer on that side for the first time (I’ve got bad tape wrapped around the chainstay hence knowing it had moved closer, it’s on my to do list to change it to vinyl wrap).

Now the best bit: I didn’t think changing the BB would make much of a difference, but by god it feels so much smoother!! Not saying it’s any better than if I’d just been able to fit new bearings in the old BB but angular bearings seem to be so much smoother?

Leigh2612
    Free Member

First crit at Dalton today…ORRL#6.
    (Disclaimer, this write up will be rubbish compared to the above!)
    It was 20+° by 0930 according to weather apps, it was scorching, and fairly still, a bit of a treat given the open airfield.
    Field was about 60 or so 2/3/4. I was in the first third by the time everyone had kicked off. First 2 or 3 laps were pretty intense!
    Around halfway/ 30 mins for some reason I was off the back on the mileish back straight but pulled it back in. Think this is a combination of focus and needing to work on corners, as a short sprint usually had me back in and I could skip up places fairly easily in the bunch. I can’t really remember the order or events but there were 2 crashes fairly close to me, I think both times I was in the middle of the pack (I know TiRed! Sorry), had to take evasive action for one but got back in touch.
    Also on the long back straight I found myself to the left of 2 or 3 others on the front, the break was a bit closer than it had been previous and I felt good so put a little charge in. Took a few others with me who I think made it onto the break, then ran out of power so back to the bunch for me. A couple of hairy close calls here and there with people shifting in front of me unexpectedly but all avoided disaster.
    On a right after the long straight I must have upset someone, I was in space so pedalled round the outside going slightly wider then someone cut right back inside across the front of me, I think I shat it and said wooah/ bloody hell! Or similar and copped a mouthful about outside lines or something. Not entirely sure what message I was supposed to take away but had we touched it would certainly have been the pair of us bouncing down the road…!
    I really enjoyed it though and was pleased to finish my first crit in the bunch. Hoping to get some cat4 crits in before too long….!

crosshair
    Free Member

Awesome Leigh! Sounds brill. What was the course like? I saw the map and it looked pretty technical in places.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Most of the corners were a case of briefly stop pedalling rather then any complex moves. Probably the tightest would have been the right turn before the left/left then finish straight. There was a couple of bits of contact there I think and a crash maybe 2 laps from the end.
    Otherwise they were all pretty quick…the right after the back straight caught a couple out as the signs/ arrows and tape made it quite tight, quite late.
    Think I forgot to say also, they announced an hour +2. I’m sure we did an hour +3, I was super gutted when I thought we were done and had to do another lap!!!

crosshair
    Free Member

I was tempted to go but then got harangued into waiting in for a tumble drier whilst the wife and son went pony riding.
    I’m glad I didn’t if it was 2/3/4 🙂 What sort of speed was it?

TiRed

Surrey League 3rd cat road race this morning in 25C. Ideal preparation included a 140 km ride yesterday and a base of 360 km for the week. So I was already feeling a little tired. Risotto and malt loaf last night. Bircher porridge this morning and more malt loaf.

It’s nine laps of the Dunsfold road circuit. First was fast, and it kind of stayed that way. Two got away and the bunch chased. Reverse race: so back third, then mid third and finally front third for the last three laps.

Jelly babies and four SIS gels, 750ml of SIS fuel and another 750ml of electrolyte. All going fine until a rider hit the back of my frame, stayed up ok but rattled. Best bike too as the Ultegra shifter on the Propel is poorly.

There is is short kicker that has the chance to shred the bunch and it did it’s job on some laps. Last lap, feeling good – jelly baby and gel high. One km to go and my left quad has a cramp as we readied for the climb. So I rolled in at the back of the bunch. Must try and drink more salt I think, as I cramped at about the same distance in the Tour of Cambridgeshire.

Average powerpod power was 220 Watts and NP was 280 for just over two hours of racing. The giant snickers ice cream bar made an effective recovery bar. Well peanuts have protein, no? Rest day tomorrow.

Wore my #fuckcancer socks because I last spoke to my mother exactly one year ago today.

nathb
    Free Member

Races sound good Leigh & TiRed.

I’ve never got cramp during a race, but it’s pretty much guaranteed to strike a few hours after a hard effort. Not sure it’s salt as I’ve had salty lunches (bread) and still got it. I think it’s a case of not stretching properly?

I took the racing bike out today with the new BB fitted, with tape in the bottom to check if it had moved – correct tool is in the post. It hasn’t and what a HUGE difference, the way I can describe is previously cycling through mud but now on the road… hopefully I’ve got a few free watts out of it! No creaking or funny noises either!

I shouldn’t have gone as far as I did today, I had to make an emergency stop at a garage for 1.5L of water and a can of coke (my first can of coke in years). To put how silly I was in perspective I weighed myself post breakfast and came in at 70.3kg. I drank 3L of water, a can of coke while cycling. Plus for lunch I had 4 vegan sausages on 4 slices of high density seeded bread and protein shake. Weighed myself again: 69.2kg! 😳

Found a nice route though, well when the toffs aren’t playing polo: https://www.strava.com/activities/1042656064

So that’s the end of week 3 of my Build 1, next week is a rest week and a FTP on Saturday. The numbers:

Not sure why my estimated FTP has gone down to 304, it’s currently 316 and until recently was predicting 325:

Viewing 40 posts - 2,121 through 2,160 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this’ is closed to new replies.