Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Will this tool save the day?? (Bottom bracket bearings issue)
  • nathb
    Free Member

I was bashing out the old bearings of my bottom bracket earlier as they were fubared.

Out popped the drive side:

However the real pain the backside is the non drive side, I hit it hard and out shot all the bearings…so I’m just left with the outer case of the bearing and my tool is no longer gripping it, it’s one like this:

From the inside; the BB is stopping me gaining access:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r129/nathb89/Bike/oops/09D2F9B9-B6D4-4B82-94D9-2205FCDA482B.jpg%5B/img%5D

As you can see it’s just the bearing case that’s left:

So will this tool:

Save the day? or should I dremel it out!?

wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t think they sit on the outer race, it would probably miss. I’d sooner get creative than use a dremel though!

nathb
    Free Member

Yeah I’m probably looking at removing the entire side of the BB aren’t I… 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrecker
    Free Member

I’d try and knock that out with whatever after applying some penetrating oil. I do have a fairly decent toolbox though!

nathb
    Free Member

Cheers.
    I’ll stick some WD40/GT spray in it tomorrow morning and try using a hammer and punch – I think that’s my best option. Before removing the entire BB…

wrecker
    Free Member

GT85 is better than WD40 if you don’t have any penetrating oil.

sr0093193
    Free Member

Used a blind bearing puller when I did it to a frame bearing.

scaredypants

If it’s budged out at all (and it looks like it has to me) I’d be after levering that with a strongish flat blade screwdriver or maybe old chisel to increase the gap and then using your existing tool to get it right out

nickdavies

Your park slide hammer won’t get in, you need a blind bearing puller for that.

Or… I’ve had success with similar on a headtube by forcing the splayed drift into the recess. The gap looks a bit thin, but using the inner bearing which is angled, put the drift where you want it and use the inner bearing and a washer or something similar to force the splay into the gap from the inside. I’ve also used suitably sized washers, cut through them on one side so they compress a bit and dropped them behind the race using circlip pliers and hammered that.

onewheelgood

When that happened to my frame pivot bearings I was able to dremel them out without damaging the frame. Just needs a steady hand and a couple of cutting discs.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I do have a fairly decent toolbox though!

Does it bring all the girls to the yard 😉

tillydog
    Free Member

That isn’t a loose sleeve between the bearings, is it? i.e. will it slide out from the side with no bearing to give you a clear shot at the other side?

nathb
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions!!!

Will get back on it in the morning 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Does it bring all the girls to the yard

That would be nice!
    Maybe I need to work on my marketing?

survivor

As mentioned a blind bearing puller is the kit for the job. Can be used on frame bearings as well. Good bit of kit to have if your a home mechanic who likes buying tools. 🙂

nathb
    Free Member

I was looking around at bearing puller sets and for a decent one that could do 37mm bearings the price was £100+

So I decided to cut my losses and ditch the BB:

Looking at getting something like this:

So no potential for creaking and easier BB removal..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Will this tool save the day?? (Bottom bracket bearings issue)’ is closed to new replies.