So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this

Home Forum Bike Forum So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 2,851 total)
  • So I want to try road racing + build a bike specifically for this
  • crosshair

How do you buy a day license? I have bronze so can race with no points right? (As if πŸ˜‰ )

TiRed

you pay on the day

crosshair

Perfect thanks. Excited but nervous. Gonna be an eye opener I think.

nathb

Where are you racing @crosshair

Thanks @Tired, I was going to message a couple of clubs this week to see if I can join their beginner rides out over the next couple of weeks. I’m hopefully going to head over to Hillingdon this Saturday to watch too!

crosshair

Hillingdon.

As I understand it , from the fast boys at my road club , its as much about position in the pack,watching the breaks , power conservation ( winding your neck in )and avoiding trouble as it is w/kg.
    Can you ride in a fast paced group at 18 – 20 mph , and do a through and off safely ?
    That would be a sensible start point .

mtbtomo

I read up on racing lots and lots before having a go and I hadn’t joined a club much before my first race either. You “just” need to remember not to overlap wheels, don’t weave, hold your line in corners and, similarly, shout out at anyone riding dangerously or not holding their line etc. You’ll be lucky if anyone does through and off in a 4th cat road race [whether they have done it on a club run or not, who knows?!] πŸ™„

Premier Icon Haze
    Subscriber

No rush to start scoring points, that will happen soon enough but for now just sit in and watch the guys who know what they’re doing, you’ll soon get it.

Be smooth and calm.

Don’t be the tit who tries to out-brake everyone into every corner.

nathb

crosshair –
    Hillingdon.

Without sounding stalkery add me on strava – I’ll try keep an eye out for you.

singletrackmind –
    As I understand it , from the fast boys at my road club , its as much about position in the pack,watching the breaks , power conservation ( winding your neck in )and avoiding trouble as it is w/kg.
    Can you ride in a fast paced group at 18 – 20 mph , and do a through and off safely ?
    That would be a sensible start point .

I’ve never ridden in a fast paced group bar the Eisberg cycle a few pages back and regents park (which can get very busy) so I’ve never done the through and off – but I can do 52 miles solo @19-20mph (cringe sorry!) and get the principle of it. But yes experience like that would help.

mtbtomo
    I read up on racing lots and lots before having a go and I hadn’t joined a club much before my first race either. You “just” need to remember not to overlap wheels, don’t weave, hold your line in corners and, similarly, shout out at anyone riding dangerously or not holding their line etc. You’ll be lucky if anyone does through and off in a 4th cat road race [whether they have done it on a club run or not, who knows?!]

Haze
    No rush to start scoring points, that will happen soon enough but for now just sit in and watch the guys who know what they’re doing, you’ll soon get it.

Be smooth and calm.

Don’t be the tit who tries to out-brake everyone into every corner.

Cheers for the advice guys!

Premier Icon Haze
    Subscriber

Yeah pretty sure you won’t be doing any through and off in your first 4th, unless you accidentally find yourself in a break then you’ll learn quick enough!

Get yourself on some reliability rides over winter, usually Feb/March time. Much more likely to come across some co-operative riding with some good riders.

But for now no harm in dipping your toe in a few crits.

crosshair

Added Nathb

nathb

Added you too crosshair.

Took out silver membership and applied for my racing licence too this morning, which is pending.

Exciting times. πŸ˜†

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

nathb – Member

Added you too crosshair.

Took out silver membership and applied for my racing licence too this morning, which is pending.

Exciting times.

I’m going to be spectating at Hillingdon and cheering on Crosshair if you make it off Nath.

david jey

I’ve never ridden in a fast paced group bar the Eisberg cycle a few pages back and regents park (which can get very busy) so I’ve never done the through and off – but I can do 52 miles solo @19-20mph (cringe sorry!) and get the principle of it. But yes experience like that would help.

If that’s the case, your first objective should be just to sit in the group/hold a wheel safely. Watching a race to get an idea of the dynamics before diving in would not be a bad idea. At least you are aware of your group riding limitations, which is more than can be said for some people in 4th cat races! Until you are comfortable with it, don’t get involved in the finish, just roll out the back. 4th cat sprints can be (often are) chaos.

Forget about through and off/any other kind of structured group riding – racing is completely different*

Good luck, have fun, don’t worry about trying to score any points for the time being!

*it can happen – either if you’re up the road in a break with a group who know how to work together, or say if a couple of teams get organised and decide to use their numbers on the front of the peleton to bring a break back. But you aint going to see much of that sort of thing in a 4th cat crit!

david jey

Good racecraft and a well practiced sprint more likely to get you points than a lot of watts.

This sums up 4th cat racing really. Bar the odd exceptional talent who has just started out and has the strength to go solo off the front and stay away – but you won’t have to deal with them for long, cos they’ll be cat3 in a couple of races time….

EDIT: attacking is a lot more fun than sitting in though.

nathb

weeksy
    I’m going to be spectating at Hillingdon and cheering on Crosshair if you make it off Nath.

Yeah I’ll be there, aiming to get there for about 1pm.. I’m cycling and terrible at following directions so hopefully I will see the start! πŸ˜†

david jey
    If that’s the case, your first objective should be just to sit in the group/hold a wheel safely. Watching a race to get an idea of the dynamics before diving in would not be a bad idea. At least you are aware of your group riding limitations, which is more than can be said for some people in 4th cat races! Until you are comfortable with it, don’t get involved in the finish, just roll out the back. 4th cat sprints can be (often are) chaos.

Forget about through and off/any other kind of structured group riding – racing is completely different*

Good luck, have fun, don’t worry about trying to score any points for the time being!

*it can happen – either if you’re up the road in a break with a group who know how to work together, or say if a couple of teams get organised and decide to use their numbers on the front of the peleton to bring a break back. But you aint going to see much of that sort of thing in a 4th cat crit!

Yeah I know now that on paper I potentially have the power to finish somewhere near the front, but I’m completely happy aiming for mid pack in my first few/year if it means not coming a cropper! Cheers for the advice.

Would be a dream if I turned up and could just mind my own business at the front though, but that isn’t going to happen anytime soon! πŸ˜†

On a side note I need to stop eating junk food, damn waitrose with their chocolate torsades, and lose a couple of KG to say 68kg. πŸ˜•

crosshair

Guys, I may have missed this information somewhere but is there any chance of a sighting lap at Hillingdon on Saturday morning? I can get there nice and early if so.

nathb

crosshair
    Guys, I may have missed this information somewhere but is there any chance of a sighting lap at Hillingdon on Saturday morning? I can get there nice and early if so.

I’ve just looked at the calendar, someone has it booked until 12:30. The imperial series starts at 12:30, but the race isn’t due to start until 13:10 so there must be time?

mtbtomo

I don’t know how long the lap is but every crit I’ve ever done, you get at least 10 minutes rolling round/warming up on the circuit. Not just a blind start from the gun.

mtbtomo

Don’t be the last one to roll up on the line, or you’ll be on the back foot from the start. There’s no shame in lingering near the line until the comissaire stops people rolling round. Then you can get a good start….or at least time to miss clipping in and not be fighting off the back straight away trying to attach foot to pedal πŸ™‚

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

The few I’ve done they usually have an area in the infield you can roll around before the start. And they’ve not been full gas from the line so start position not critical.

david jey

Don’t be the last one to roll up on the line, or you’ll be on the back foot from the start.

I wouldn’t worry about this TBH*. Crits often start off very slow and cagey – more so in cat 4s where everybody just waits for the sprint and breaks are less likely to stick. Make an effort to move up early on while its slow tho and don’t linger at the back in general – if you’re near the front it’s easier to respond to accelerations.

*unless you’re an idiot like me who likes to attack from the gun. In which case wear MTB SPDs to ensure a smooth clip-in** and attack the start like it’s a cyclocross race

**i’ve never actually done this

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

Make an effort to move up early on while its slow tho and don’t linger at the back in general

Re this, you do quickly realise that the old saying that “if you’re not going forwards you’re going backwards” is very true. Easy to find yourself at the back of the pack very quickly. Something to keep in mind.

nathb

Good tips. πŸ™‚

The hillingdon races are 25 laps (23.5 miles) aren’t they? Does someone do a lap counter?

Looking forward to watching tomorrow. 8)

TiRed

Races are time-based. I think the 4th cat race will be 40 or 45 minutes plus 5 laps. That equates to about 25 laps. Average pace is typically 2:00 (fast) to 2:20 (modest) per lap. You will have time to warm up on the circuit. It’s not really a crit because there are no sharp corners, you can actually pedal the entire circuit (it was designed as such). Brian’s Bends is the only slightly technical left- then right-hander. You can take that at full gas.

Say Hi. I’ll be in my blue TCC Twickenham kit with a black and yellow helmet, white Giant Propel and with Teen 2 in tag as a course marshal.

nathb

Will do.

I’m hoping to be on THIS, if I can figure out the bearings in time, if not then THIS with a Black/white kask helmet (black cap underneath), thick gloves and probably looking lost! πŸ˜†

mtbtomo

Crits often start off very slow and cagey

I must come and race down south sometime in that case πŸ˜‰

Maybe they haven’t felt like a slow start cos I’ve been grappling to get clipped in….

crosshair

I’m used to Zwift race starts at the moment so I should be leading for the first 50y πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜€

crosshair

I think I’m a little bit early πŸ˜€

nathb

Haha a bit!

Setting off shortly, hopefully the twicks traffic isn’t too bad!

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Good luck all!

nathb

I’m here now, some really nice bikes!!

crosshair

Ouch! that was tough. I got lapped 4 times and pulled off when they had 2 to go. I got a new FTP so not all bad I suppose!

Great atmosphere though and some great blokes. I did my best to keep out of the way but the bunch were polite, courteous and vocal when passing and it never felt at all sketchy.

I reckon I might get light enough to hang with the bunch by this time 2017 πŸ˜€

nathb

@crosshair what kit/bike were you out on? Good show!

I’ve got some videos of you all flying by, I was the guy sat on one of the benches just passed the start line with my bike and a bright neck thingy on lol

crosshair

I was in my shiny new TFC Kit from Zwift. Bright yellow with short sleeves and bib shorts riding a tasty Triban 5 with MTB SPD’s πŸ™‚

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

Much like my first crit, it looks like you used up a lot of your effort staying out of trouble πŸ™‚ Worth checking out the data from those with a PM who finished in the bunch, generally much less effort expended.

I reckon I might get light enough to hang with the bunch by this time 2017

With that sort of effort and a bit of experience you should have no trouble. Less weight wouldn’t make much difference.

So you signed up for round 2? πŸ™‚

crosshair

Sadly, winter Saturdays off are almost unheard of. I need to carefully check the dates.

I actually loved it! I found the people friendlier than say the XCRampage crowd and certainly felt less intimidated than at CX.

Sorry to the kind guys who worked with me for a few laps- I would have taken more pulls if I wasn’t so knackered and dejected πŸ˜€

Yes, definitely inefficient but I sat in quite well for the first lap. Down the start finish straight, I remember them stringing out in front and of course, I was rolling into the next corner whilst the front runners were half way up the hill and then PING, that was that!

nathb

Ah I remember seeing a guy on a silver/grey Triban chapeau!

Are you doing it next weekend?

Start:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7DFOrhs6bA[/video]

Slow mo finish (I’d turn the volume off/down): πŸ˜†

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3ZY5MUfYJQ[/video]

TiRed

Rode the 4th cat at the back wearing my YGA#. Shouted a bit, coached a bit, encouraged a bit, helped a few riders get back into the bunch. Overall, it was a reasonable race. Pace was not too high. A lot of bunching into the wind past the clubhouse, brakes were applied, but largely the riding was of a good standard. The rider who attacked stayed away for 10 points. A good move given the windy conditions.

Then I raced the E123 race (I’m yellow 48). I’ve had a kidney infection and not ridden for two weeks, so this was always a training race. Team mate attacked on lap 1 so I blocked for a lap or so, then dropped back to midpack and stayed there. Not much for the sprint and it didn’t matter as riders were on the grass on that last lap. Think I was 33rd , middle tritile. Happy with that. Teen2 is happy because he earned Β£30 as a marshal.

Well done all. Say hi next week.

#yellow gilet of authority

nathb

Yeah the guy who won was on his own for at least the last 5 laps or so? Took me a lap or two to realise he was leading as he suddenly had such a large gap.

@tired did you have something dangling of your helmet? or was that someone else? If it was you I think I passed you near the club house but you were deep in conversation with someone and I was shivering and dying to get back on the bike to warm up!

If my licence shows up next week then I’ll book in for the Saturday, unfortunately I’m not around the following Saturday.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 2,851 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.