Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • So… Hardtail Opinions
  • chiefgrooveguru

@fathomer thanks but it’s ok, I checked with Alan at Pipedream! 552mm is a 140mm 29” Lyrik static, 160mm is 572mm A2C, with 25% sag it’s 532mm (not sure why the site says something different). I also spent a while comparing the side-on photos from that recent bikeradar review of the Moxie, BFeMAX and Forge, and they confirm what I’d worked out.

Apparently the newest Moxie (Mx3) has the top tube off the Full Moxie so it’s stronger and ok with a 170mm 29” fork.

If you run it at 140mm once it’s sagged it will be a fair bit longer, lower and steeper than the geo chart.

The only thing I’m not sure about is whether I’ll have enough spacers below the steerer to fit a MacRide for my toddler without my 40mm rise bars putting my hands too high for when there isn’t a baby on board – but I guess I can get some lower bars…

A Sirius would probably be more sensible but I like how I can charge into things on my Levo with a big fork and big wheel up front so I’m hoping to replicate that on a hardtail – the current one has a 150mm Pike, a 27.5” wheel and is almost as slack, even lower and fairly long so it’s not a massive leap to the Moxie, just a logical progression to an even more illogical bike! 😉

(I’m also liking that my two bikes will have pretty much the same build in case something breaks and I can’t get a part replacement/repair in short order).

fathomer

Thanks @chiefgrooveguru clears that up. Might have to look else where, I’m after something with about 475-480 reach, 65deg head angle and 130-140mm travel.

nedrapier

Sounds a bit like the Switch9er? 65.5 HA though, if that doesn’t make too much of a difference?

chiefgrooveguru

“ I’m after something with about 475-480 reach, 65deg head angle and 130-140mm travel.”

Static or sagged? It’s much easier with full-sus bikes isn’t it?!

fathomer

Sagged (I think), I want something slightly shorter reach/travel than my Starling Murmur that I run with a 150mm fork so a smidge over 485mm reach.

nedrapier Full Member
    Sounds a bit like the Switch9er? 65.5 HA though, if that doesn’t make too much of a difference

Bit spendy and there’s something about Stanton’s, they just don’t float my boat. Which is weird as love a steel hardtail.

chiefgrooveguru

At sag with a 140mm fork the long size Moxie will be 65.5 deg HA and 485mm reach. Bird Forge in ML is a bit shorter, similar angles, lower BB.

b33k34

So having gone through this process the *rough* conversion of unsagged to sagged on a 140/150mm fork is +1.5 degrees and about +20mm Reach.

I ended up with a Ragley Big Al in XL. 65/74 and 480 unsagged at 140mm. 435mm chain stays and a lowest BB. Aluminium so significantly lighter than the cheaper steel frames. Cheaper too and the big benefit of being in stock. I’d have probably gone a little slacker and steeper but given it’s going to be ridden as a winter bike it’s not going to be used for the steepest or gnarliest riding anyway

For the money I’m impressed. You don’t get fancy cnc’d bits but they don’t add any function. The cable clips are neat, the paint is shiny. Some of the welding isn’t the prettiest (and the reinforcement tube across the seatstays is slightly off level) but none of that will affect the ride or strength (and it’s got a 5 year warranty anyway)

Northwind

I have a Solarismax and I’m a bit conflicted with it. It’s the best hardtail I’ve ever had by far, so capable, really satisfying to ride, incredibly versatile too. But I don’t love it. I loved my Soul, and my Ragley Ti, and it added a whole extra thing to the rides. The Solarismax is definitely a better tool but for whatever reason it doesn’t inspire in the same way, I don’t look in the garage and get excited at the idea of riding it.

That’s a pretty weird criticism I know but honestly I’d trade a lot of competence and capability for a bit more love.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I looked at a Big Al, but think I missed the stock window as the colours are really nice too!

@Northwind

I’ve had bikes like that (and then some!). Can’t explain why, but they’ve been great bikes that I’ve just never gelled with.

The Phantom V3 frame is going for new bearings this weekend, then I’m putting it up for sale. It rides really nice, looks good but for some reason I’ve just never really took a shine to it.

fathomer

@chiefgrooveguru thanks, I don’t doubt your figures so the Moxie is back on the table!

reeksy

I think the HT love is something you have to work at 🙂
    Every time I get a new one it seems a bit less inspiring than the last one.
    After a few months of riding it suddenly seems to be broken in and I gel with it.

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘So… Hardtail Opinions’ is closed to new replies.