Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • So… Hardtail Opinions
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

Fancy having another hardtail and I’ve been narrowing it down to a few available options. I’ll be building it up with my current components and do a good mix of riding from trail centres to days out in the Lakes/Rivington and stuff like that.

I have an idea on what size to go for based on previous hardtails (and not trying to make it the same size as a full sus).

So far my list is as follows:

Yeti ARC (XL)
    Banshee Paradox V3 (L)
    Cotic SolarisMax (L)

The Yeti is at least 2 x the price of the others as a frame only and I’d have to also get a headset and BB, but I do love the feeling of a light carbon hardtail, which I experienced with my Ibis DV9. I only got rid of that due to the seat tube being so big that I could only squeeze a 125mm dropper in.

The Banshee gets good reviews and a really like how my Phantom V3 rides. It’s cheaper and a headset is included in the price.

Similar story with the Cotic SolarisMax. I’ve still yet to scratch the Cotic itch and everyone loves a steel hardtail. I had a Pace RC529 in XL, but it just felt way too big for my style of riding.

FWIW I’m about 6′ 2″ with a short 33″ inseam.

As always experienced opinions are appreciated 🙂

bearGrease

Bird Forge

johnw1984
    Free Member

I have thought about the Forge, but there’s not a lot of info out there on how it rides and it would essentially be a blind purchase.

I have no doubts about Bird though as I really like the company (and my Aether 9).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Of those three, I’d go for the paradox. They’re very well regarded.

Hardtail Party Steve reckons its more comfy than alot of steel frames, the geometry is good and it will build up lighter.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I must admit the Paradox has been on my list for a while, and I even nearly got it before the Phantom.

This was when I sold my DV9 as I was going to replace it with another hardtail that was more “trail” orientated.

It’s a nice problem to have I suppose and I haven’t even considered the fact that I’ve never had a ti bike… Started down that rabbit hole now.

eddd
    Free Member

To me, a hardtail is a deliberate step away from complexity/ the ‘best’ that can be built. For that reason, I’d avoid a super expensive carbon one. If I wanted the stiffest, fastest etc I’d either get an XC full suspension or a gravel bike.

In STW fashion, I therefore recommend what I have – a Cotic Soul. So from your list, a Solaris I guess!

johnw1984
    Free Member

I know what you mean @eddd

A factor of me wanting one is reducing the complexity of the bike, but to be the Yeti is no more complex that any of the others, they’re all just hardtails at the end of the day.

From the review of the Yeti (from Steve), he reckons it’s nearly/just as compliant as the Banshee. I know it’s expensive, but I love the zippy feel of a lighter bike.

I’m just on the fence about if it’s worth double or a third more that the others.

The other factor for me is tyre clearance. I want the ability to go up to 2.6 (30mm rim) with enough clearance. I think these 3 choices tick that box?

misteralz
    Free Member

In the best stw tradition of recommending what you have, I utterly LOVE my Scandal.

davros

Recommended what you have: XL signal Ti. Not as light as the yeti but 10 year warranty on the frame. Not that you’d keep it that long 😉

johnw1984
    Free Member

Haha @davros you never know, people change man!

I’ve eliminated the Yeti due to price + having to buy all extra bits (headset, BB and olives and barbs for Sram brakes).

May have put in an offer for a Cotic SolarisMax…

On the fence with the Banshee due to tyre clearance. A 2.4 with a 30mm rim is more realistic, 2.6 is reaching to be honest.

If I don’t get the Cotic, I might have a look at my ti options as it’s one box I’ve never ticked.

danti

On One Vandal in stock and you could sell the parts you don’t want off it.

didnthurt

What type of riding are you planning on mostly using the hardtail on?

This would be the biggest factor in choice for me.

Followed by:
    – Fit
    – Geometry
    – Cost
    – Availability
    – Aesthetics

I was after a hardtail recently for riding steep downhill type trails and general playing about in the woods. I ended up with an On-one Hello Dave and this fitted the requirements perfectly. I wouldn’t have chosen it if I was intending of doing big days out in the hills, instead I’d have gone for something like a Salsa TimberJack

johnw1984
    Free Member

It’s a good question…

Basically a good all-rounder I’d be looking for. Days out that involve just as much climbing as it does descending. Think Rivington/Lakes/Peaks, trail centres etc.

So something in between the Hello Dave and a Timberjack I suppose hehe.

I’ve had quite a few different bikes so I have a rough idea on what I’d feel comfortable on. It’s just nice to get opinions from others though to balance it out.

I think it might be time to scratch that Cotic itch though!

Have you considered a PP Shan?

I have the 26 and love it. I’m 6ft but long legs and it’s just about big enough – you’d probably be an XL

shan

didnthurt

Ps that Banshee looks lovely 👌

crashrash

Cotic all the way – I have the Solaris and its very capable – even with a 120mm fork. Great for long days, faster than me downhill and good fun to ride. The team at Cotic are great to deal with too.

ogri
    Free Member

Stealth ad; I have a 18″ long Stanton switchback which is unmarked that I’m planning on selling.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Ohh I’d forgotten about the Shan! Might have a look now.

Sadly, I’ve discounted Stanton due to the 30.9 seat tube (my dropper is 31.6). Wouldn’t be an issue, but it’s a Reverb AXS and I don’t want to get rid of it to have to buy another hehe.

moonsaballoon

I’m a bit of a cotic fanboy but I do like the look of the Nordest frames .

johnw1984
    Free Member

I did like the look of Nordest, but won’t they be a lot more expensive to import now?

I’ve not looked for a while to be honest.

stewfrance
    Free Member

Hi there,

Another possible bike for you Santa Cruz chameleon maybe?

Very versatile bike, 31.6 seat tube
    27.5 or 29er

Just throwing another bike in the mix 👍🏻

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

XL Forge just popped up in the classifieds at a good price, if of intrest. No connection to seller..

I’ve got a Zero29 on order, better suited to compliment the AM9 I have by my reckoning. Hopefully arrive this week 😬

johnw1984
    Free Member

I was close to buying the previous Chameleon last time around. I do like the look of the new one, but wonder what the frame-only availability is like?

Xl would feel way too big to be honest. If I got one of those, it would be large at maximum for a hardtail for me.

I have a large aether 9 and it’s a good fit. I’d want things slightly smaller on a hardtail.

filks

I’ve just got a Pipedream Moxie. 31.6 seat tube and easily does 2.6 rubber. It’s brilliant

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I love my Zero 29. Versatile and an absolute blast. I do everything on mine, long xc rides, enduro trails.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Ah yes, a Moxie was another I’ve been pondering on. I think I’d want the Long size, but it’s sold out 🙁

The biggest one would feel too big to me I fear.

lewis75
    Free Member

Stif Squatch? I’m 6’2 and have an XL. The 500mm reach feels shorter because of the steep seat angle. I’ve barely ridden my FS bike since getting mine.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

You definitely want a downcountry hardtail, like the Pipedream Sirius or the Nordest Britango. Only because someone needs to buy one and tell the rest of us what they are all about. Save the rest of us spending money in an experiment.

moonboy
    Free Member

Would sir consider a slightly more rowdy option?

Absolutely adore my gen 3 Stanton slackline. Wouldn’t swap it for anything other than a Ti version of the same thing.

Classic suggest what you have. Not sorry.

TheGhost
    Free Member

I ride a Banshee Paradox V3 in XL a d I’m 6’2” – it’s ace but you are correct 2.6s are a stretch. I had a 2.5 Aggressor on a 35mm inner width rim on for the summer but thats as big as you can go. The geo is brilliant and great fun.

I can also recommend checking out the RSD Middlechild Ti – mine is set up single speed at the moment. 2.6 Tires fit fine on 29er wheels.

The new Chameleon looks great but can only take up to 140mm forks so you can’t fit Zebs or 38s – madness.

Cotics are always ace. I’ve had 4. The back end is a good 20mm longer than the banshee though so its a very different ride. Not bad, just different.

I like the look of the Bird Forge and the Stif Squatch.

reeksy

Mate has the Banshee. He’s happy with it. Almost sold it but then swapped the DT forks 160mm out for Fox 150 or 140 i think and it well happy.
    I’ve got the SolarisMax and a Switch9er. I’d buy them again having had a Highball previously. I much prefer the solidity of steel than the carbon, despite the weight penalty.

alan1977
    Free Member

Nearly bought a paradox a few times…
    would have bought a forge but I was staying 27.5..
    then it went wrong and I bought a sonder signal TI, and i’m glad I did, its rowdy enough (29er, 130mm) yet not ridiculous that it makes an excellent stable mate to my Bird Aeris 145, and im slightly happy at keeping them both UK based.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve just been going through this with gnarly 29er options. Am pretty much set on a Moxie. The Forge and BFeMAX were also in the running.

I’m ridiculously particular about geometry (what works best for me, not everyone else!) and I’d discounted the Moxie for being too steep at the seat tube. However it’s not as steep as the chart says because the seat tube has quite a bend, so the longer your legs, the slacker it gets. Apparently at my saddle height it’ll be about 75.25 deg static with a 140mm fork, which is about 76 deg sagged with a 160mm fork – so similar to a full-sus with a 77-78 deg seat angle. That’s the other thing to note with the Moxie – the chart is with a 140mm fork but it can take up to 170mm.

I was super close to buying a Forge a couple of weeks ago but some compatibility issues on the full build with the stuff I already have and the BB height just stopped me. My current hardtail has a 307mm static BB height and it’s just that bit too low, the Forge would be at 306mm, the Moxie at 316mm. The BFeMAX would be at 326mm with 20mm less fork travel, which is just that bit too high, and the seat angle is a bit too slack. Paradox is a bit steep at the front and short at the back but looks amazing otherwise.

I really do have a geometry problem…

The Moxie’s adjustable chainstays appeal (short in the summer for snappy turns, long in the winter for drifting). And I’ve heard good things about the ride feel. And hopefully it’ll come in awesome pink again (pre-orders this month for Feb arrival apparently).

nedrapier

Another happy Ti Signal owner here. A mate tried mine back to back with a Yeti Arc and bought a Signal – just a funner, more engaging ride, apparently.

As above, 10 year warranty is very reassuring.

Uplift days, local ragging, longer rides, does it all brilliantly. Took it to Wales on holiday – one day riding the Elan Valley reservoir loop towing the kiddy wagon, next day 10 laps of Dyfi Bike Park (reds and the techy rather than sendy blacks), then back on wagon duties the next day picnic, boys and beach stuff along dunesy singletrack

10/10 would recommend – If you want to scratch the ti itch, and you’re looking at these sorts of bikes, you’d be very happy with a Signal.

sandwicheater

Similar dimensions to you OP and I’d suggest you consider the Stif Squatch (XL) and it’s in stock i believe.

Think i’d still like to give the Solaris itch a scratch but been really pleased with it.

Bike parks, 100 mile bivy rides, local woods, been a hoot.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I considered the Squatch, but I think the BB would just be too low for me. I’d probably adapt quickly but I’ve really wanted some sort of Cotic for a while now…

Ended up winning a SolarisMax frame on eBay so I’ll be building that up when it arrives 🙂

I will tick a ti bike off my list one day though…

scotabroad

Just had my solaris max frame XL built and it looks the badgers nadgers, cant wait to ride it – coincided with catching the lurgy so waiting for that to pass before taking it out.  Its a looong bike so at 6 2 it should suit you fine.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Ah @scotabroad bet you can’t wait to have a go at it!

I went for the large after having a Pace RC529 in XL and it just felt way too much for a hardtail. Would have been fine as a full sus at that size though.

fathomer

@chiefgrooveguru

the chart is with a 140mm fork but it can take up to 170mm

Are you sure about that, the Pipedream site states:
    The Moxie is optimised for 29er forks between 140-160mm travel and the geometry table is based on a axle to crown measurement of 552mm . This approximates to a 160mm 29er fork, sagged 25% (rider on board).

I only ask as I don’t want you buying something wrong and I’ve been looking at them with the intention of running a 140mm fork which would increase the reach the bit and steepen the head angle a degree ish.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

The Moxie can take a 170mm 27.5 fork which puts the ac at the same as a 150mm 29er. It is such a fun bike in that guise. Its a very fast frame. See the Enduro reviews. It needs a very beefy build though.

The Sirius may be better. You can xc build it for miles and also enduro it up and it will not hurt the capability of the frame. The Moxie is pretty num with a shorter travel setup.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘So… Hardtail Opinions’ is closed to new replies.