• This topic has 36 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • So did you break anything on a ride this weekend?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Sadly, I broke my Girlfriend! 🙁

Well technically she broke herself, she let go of the brakes a bit much going down a steep slope in the FOD (brilliant conditions there at the moment by the way, trails in ace condition!), then when she picked up too much speed, panic braked and locked the front wheel on soft ground and it tucked under, and she went down hard on her shoulder.

We find out tomorrow morning whether she’s got to have her collarbone pinned or not, but a clean break right through it, near to the end (so even the nurse suspected she’d only dislocated her shoulder at first). The X Ray revealed all, but there was no mistaking what had happened!

Just as she was starting to get a knack for it too… Ah well, she’s determined to get back on it as soon as she can at least.

djglover
    Free Member

Not broken but 7 hours riding and certain areas of my body are still numb

honourablegeorge

I have a brand new Zee mech that’s all sorts of bent and twisted, and I tore my favourite Sombrio shorts from arse to knee.

Bregante

Nowt broken but a lovely cut across the rbidge of my nose, assorted scratches to my right cheek and my right leg is a fetching shade of purple below the knee.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My chainring snapped. Lateral force when the chain jammed in the device.

PJM1974
    Free Member

A personal best…thanks to drier trails, I managed to complete my local loop in two hours. A month ago it took me three and a half to negotiate the mud fest.

radoggair
    Free Member

chain broke… again.

bobbyspangles

Bent a rear rotor, just riding along.

charliedontsurf

Pinch flatted on the surly krampus at Afan… How the hell can I pinch a 3.0 inch tyre?

steve_b77
    Free Member

One of my mates

MrTall
    Free Member

What are your impressions on the Krampus Charlie?

iridebikes
    Free Member

My shoulder by going sideways into a tree. Oh and my xtr brake lever 🙁

ronjeremy
    Free Member
    trail_rat
    Free Member

Not riding but was in the garage.

During a refurb of my girlfriends race bike – denzildoorknobs on eres old omega.

She asked can you raise the saddle a cm or so it feels a bit low now – shes been yogaing and is a bit more flexible now.

Queue seatpost stuck – when ws the last time you moved this ? – errr never.

Bollocks

Filled seat tube with cola left it for a while , applied some heat , in a vise and rotating it.

Welds at the seat tube / top tube gave out … But then was a triple butted easton scandium frame weighing around 1kg so proably could have predicted the result

Credit cards out and im waiting on dolan to tell me if they can ship today for next day delivery ….. Her first pre season training session with her new team is next week. Oops

mrhoppy

My common sense, I found myself looking longingly at Charlie’s Krampus in the FoD car park.

I broke my grrlfriend too, but only in a very minor way.
    We’re still learning on the tandem. One of the things we found out yesterday is that small overhanging twigs, that I would normally ignore as they brush against my shoulder, whip back and whack her in the face.
    Cut lip for her and a promise from me to try to call out hazards better.

rocketman
    Free Member

No probs this weekend.

Was more stunned by the experience of getting back home with the bike in pretty much the same condition as when I went out apart from a bit of dust

jameso

My off-road ‘distance ridden before a proper break’ PB )

pinch_flat
    Free Member

My seat post bolt. And as always with these things it was at the furthest point from the car! Such a shame as it was a cracking day weather wise

freeagent
    Free Member

huge blowout just over a mile from home, a piece of flint sliced through the tyre leaving a hole big enough to get my finger through. ;o(

First time out on the MTB this year aswell!

thegreatpotato
    Free Member

Yup, I broke:
    – my fork
    – my thumb when it caught on the brake lever on the way otb (was on a road bike)
    – and the Garmin watch when it hit the ground (won’t be Straving for a while anyway).

Plenty other bumps, bruises, cuts, scrapes, scratches and grazes. Even got concussion and a black eye. But those were the only parts broken.

mattythemod
    Free Member

Snapped a Sram chain 🙁

shortcut

One of my riding buddies spent quite a lot of time on the floor on Saturday.

Nothing broken though.

crush83
    Free Member

My PB for Sherwood pines!

alibongo001

I broke my finger at the Morvelo city cross in Halifax, but still enjoyed the event.

How long do they take to mend?

legend
    Free Member

Possibly my brain, had a constant headache since a sizeable OTB yesterday. Luckily had gone for full facer over XC lid on the trails when I never have done before. I’m sure one more head knock wont make a difference though

sobriety
    Free Member

Chain, server me right for being to lazy to downshift and then trying to ratchet my way up a fireroad hill..

brakes
    Free Member

I think I broke my heart and lungs yesterday.
    trying to ride for an hour at zone 3/4 as consistently as possible all felt very good, but then on the ride to work this morning even the slightest hint of effort and my heart rate went through the roof…

Gilles

My ribs. ok it was last week end. Please don’t report me.

mooman
    Free Member

Yep – broke the seatstay on my road bike and pringled the rear wheel. Well not actually me – but the car that hit me did.
    And the driver actually repeated the infamous SMIDSY line too .. that almost got a wry smile out of me ..

julians
    Free Member

Didnt break anything myself , but stopped to help a bloke who had fallen off at cannock and done something nasty to his knee.

Looked either dislocated or broken to me, his kneecap was bulging quite a lot, but he insisted he could walk/ride out, and didnt need any help. so we didnt call the ambulance and left him to it (after I checked he had a phone etc).

rossi46
    Free Member

I broke my Innertube with a big fat snake bite puncture. Needed to rob a new tube off a friend 🙄
    Does that count?

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

My knees. Don’t normally hurt but they’re excruciating today :0(

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Broke ice on the puddles on Penmachno loop2. Then buckled my pride with a stylish faceplant into a hub-deep bog.

cazum
    Free Member

chain on my rocky! 🙁

mboy
    Free Member

My common sense, I found myself looking longingly at Charlie’s Krampus in the FoD car park.

Was that Charlie The Bikemonger at FOD on Sunday on the Krampus?

Sorry mate, I was the guy looking rather stressed out parked just by you (we said Hi) before I jumped in my car still in my riding gear to go and pick my GF up to rush her to A&E…

Noticed the bike, didn’t click that as yet it’s still very rare so it might actually have been you riding it.

EDIT: Oh and a BIG thanks to Liz at the Pedalabikeaway centre for looking after her for probably 15 minutes or so whilst we pedalled like crazy to get back, and to the old Lady (not a clue of her name sadly) who kindly gave her a lift back when we flagged her down on the side of the road like crazed loons! Got her to A&E OK, snapped her Collarbone clean off near the shoulder joint, and is gonna take 6-8 weeks for her to recover sadly! The upside is they don’t think they’ll need to operate though.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘So did you break anything on a ride this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.