Home Forums Chat Forum Slow broadband speed – dodgy wire?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Slow broadband speed – dodgy wire?
  • nasher
    Free Member

Just been on along and very diffcult to understand discussion with BT in India.

Basically my broadband connection is slow, but BT said that the speed from the exchange is OK.

They said that the fault could be dodgy wiring or connections on my end. so I checked the connections – all Ok but the wire (phone wire) that comes from the incoming box in the wall to the BT home hub has a kink in it.

could this be the cause?

igm

Could be. It was the local line from the BT exchange that did for mine. Water in one of the joints I think. If it’s better in cold (I mean sub zero) weather then water in the cable may well be causing attenuation of the signal – ice causes far less attenuation (which is why bits of your frozen dinner boil in the microwave before other bits have melted – if you care)

Iain

MrNutt
    Free Member

could be, ours was shitetastic and eventually an engineer came out, moved the main socket to the living room, killed the broadband off all the other sockets but one (wireless works fine, well, it works but thats another story) and fitted a hard wired microfilter, its probably the shitty microfilter see if you can get a hard wired microfilter/socket fitted. speed went from 3meg up to 7meg (but now its crapped out since we’ve refused to renew our BT contract).

GrahamS

Take the faceplate off your master socket and plug directly into the hidden socket. That bypasses all your extensions and internal wiring. If it improves then the problem is with your wiring.

coffeeking
    Free Member

which is why bits of your frozen dinner boil in the microwave before other bits have melted – if you care

I’m not 100% sure, but I think you’re putting 2 and 2 together and making 5 there. Your ice requires energy to change state (latent heat) so raising temp from -2 to +2 in ice-to-water takes far far more energy than to go from -2 to +2 in the same water under pressure (when its liquid all the time). Thats why your ice bits remain while watery bits boil (the microwave energy is not evenly mixed, one bit has to start melting first). Your line attenuation due to water is usually caused by the water shorting the wires and causing corrosion > bad connections, freezing – ice has a much higher resistance than water, although water is still remarkably high resistance:

Net effect is the same though :)

nasher
    Free Member

Graham

do you mean the master soket is the box on the wall?

Is there another socket in there?

Sorry I am a numpty with wires and PC, could you explain.

Cheers

MrNutt
    Free Member

yep, unscrew the two screws on the front of the master socket

bigyinn
    Free Member

Master socket has a horizontal divide in it.

igm

Coffeeking – if I recollect, and it is a long time ago, it’s not just the resistemce that changes. One of the professors used water in TV aerials as an example in my junior honours year. Though I agree with your comment on the heat required for the change of state – why those blue ice packs work don’t ya know.

Iain

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ah, the old ‘our equipment is fine it must be your equipment’ line. In other words, ‘the truth is that we have put too many people on the same ADSL line as you, to increase profits, but we’re not actually going to tell you that, instead we’ll just say it’s your fault, and not actually do anything to rectify the problem’.

Further to my broadband speed thread, a bit of digging around reveals average BB speeds in some parts of London have actually dropped quite a lot, as more and more people are subscribing to BB packages. Line contention has increased a lot, even in the last 6 months or so. It seems that the increase in services offering HD streamed tv, via tinternet, have meant that the bandwidth available per customer has actually shrunk. ‘Up to 8 meg’ is virtually a blatant lie. Average max speed in my area is only 3 meg. What a **** rip-off.

Sorry, but it pisses me off, you know?

showerman
    Free Member

now i am having this problem with plus net… took of the anti virus as instructed and did a line test via bt whole sale only gettind 135kp on a line which will take 8meg, have tried everything except the router which will be changed tonight with a tried and test modle. come home today now i have a speed of 6meg and this is the way it has gone all week up and down like a whores draws and to cap it all think i have picked up something of the internet as i seem to be emailing people now

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Slow broadband speed – dodgy wire?’ is closed to new replies.