Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Sleeping in your MPV v 1 night camp
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Don’t light a BBQ, then bring it into the vehicle for added warmth will you? will you? 😯

hora
    Free Member

I read about that bloke – post race event. Still sad thinking about it.

alpin
    Free Member

last summer the company van died on me. it would cut out whenever you gave it some gas… not good on alpine roads! i ended up using the bosses Sharan for a week.

worked really well. i removed all but one of the rear seats. had my bike and gear in there plus another 9 suitcases during the day. drop luggage off and goa nd find a spot to park up. in fact sleeping in there was better than in some of the vans since not all the seats fold flat in the vans. i’ve got a sheet of ply that i cut to lay across the seats if that is the case.

really like the convenience of parking up and sleeping without having to faff around with pitching a tent. hence my planned purchase.

binners

Take a tent….

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I think I slept around 100 nights in my Volvo estate. It folded completely flat and was far far comfier than a tent in most situations. Bit of a faff getting everything onto the front seats but in fact no more difficult than it is now with the T5 (though we do have 2 kids now).

It was really really good, so much more handy than a blasted tent and so much quicker. Didn’t have bikes with us much at the time though.

As whatsitsname says, if you open the tailgate a bit then it ventilates without the rain being able to come in.

The light polution wasn’t a problem, just stick a t shirt over the eyes when sleeping.

It was somewhat precarious kneeling down trying to piss out of the back door without overbalancing and falling in a puddle…

brassneck

I used to regularly sleep in the back of my Citroen Dyane in Cornwall for skate / surf trips. I can’t remember ever being that cold since.

hora
    Free Member

As whatsitsname says, if you open the tailgate a bit then it ventilates without the rain being able to come in.

A simple block of wood (or shoe)

The light polution wasn’t a problem, just stick a t shirt over the eyes when sleeping.

As soon as it gets light- I’m awake at home. Its a throwbackto when hora junior used to wake up at 5.00am sharp. So no probs 😀

I can’t remember ever being that cold since.

A few of those comments- must be in part the extra condensation coupled with air temp to create a mini ‘fridge’. I guess put something thick and blanketty under the sleeping bag AND thick duvet.

tomhoward

Slept in the back of a Toyota previa, seats folded flat-ish, with a mate for 4 nights in mid scotlandshire, in September. Used cardboard cut to slot in the windows to block the light. Was cosy, but did the job.

hot_fiat

What you really need is one of these

Dunno what the Picasso’s like, but I modified my boot lock’s mechanism with some string so I could unlock the tailgate from inside the car.

IHN

Oi, that’s Mr Whatsitsname to you.

Doug
    Free Member

Stop over in ours all the time and now use it for our normal camping sleeping accomodation. Every time I do I put the money I’ve saved over Hostels/B&B’s towards something to make it a little comfier.

Wind deflectors so you can open the front windows a little without worrying about the rain to deal with the moisture.

Caravan Bed and cut down an old memory foam mattress. Cut the bed legs down to a height that gets you below the windows but still allows for storage under the bed. Our MPV has a 4ft loadspace so we have 2 side by side for when we both go away. Great for overnight drives on the continent as we take it in turns to get a good sleep. Leave the UK late evening and be ready to ride in the Alps or south of France by mid morning.

Corrugated plastic sheets in black cut with tabs to fit behind trim and a few mm larger than your windows so that they stay in place by friction around the edges to block out the light. One side benefit is that they just look like tinted windows unless you really look close but keep your bike and kit hidden when your in the pub/nip to the shops. Same as the cardboard trick above but more durable and way less obvious from the outside.

We’ve also added leisure battery, split charge, 240v hookup and charge. Cheap electric heater until we can afford an eberspacher. Dome tent awning for living space on multi night stays, plus the usual camping stoves and gear etc Eventula aim is to do a self build camper but this keeps getting delayed as we are more than happy with what we have atm.

Doug
    Free Member

Forgot about the 12v cooler for post ride refreshment.

edlong
    Free Member

what hora really needs to camp in a Picasso is one of these:

Ow, my eyes!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

has anyone ever slept in their car in (fairly) extreme cold? -10 to -20c?

alpin
    Free Member

yes…. at least -10 on the Bernina Pass a few summer ago. fortunately i had both the sleeping bags with me, mine rated to -5, hers rated to -15.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Sleeping in your MPV v 1 night camp’ is closed to new replies.