• This topic has 54 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Sleeping in your MPV v 1 night camp
  • hora
    Free Member

I’ve worked out the rear of my car (sans rear seats) is over 6ft2 long and flat floored-no lips/brackets etc. I can stick the single mattress in- if I stick a few towels over the tops of each window/close em- surely better/less hassle n windy that packing my huge tent etc etc for just one night??

Anyone done this?

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve slept in a few cars over the years rather than pitching up for a few hours (especially in summer when that means braving midges).

I don’t know what it is about it, but I never seem to get a good sleep at all (not that I sleep very well in a tent either mind you). I’m always a wee bit worried about the electrics too – two people in a relatively closed up car all night, can’t be good if you do it regularly?

If you can get the mattress flat I’m sure it will be fine. My mat never seemed to be flat due to the way the seats folded.

It is pretty convenient getting up and just jumping in the drivers seat and getting on the road though!

Junkyard
    Free Member

should you not get a small car that you dont fit and then say its a perfect fit then search for the ultimate small car sleep vehicle?
    Dont forget to test the suspension

I have done and its ok at best not sure why it just seems wrong for some reason and I am not that fussy where I sleep [ you can do the punchline there fella]

They do warm up quick and can get damp and let the light in so dont expect much IMHO

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    loddrik
    Free Member

Always sleep in my cars, touran now and 3 series touring before that. Drove round Europe for two weeks in the BMW and slept in the car every night. Brilliant just sleeping where/whenever I needed. Must do it again soon.

nickdavies

Do it all the time – never chuck a tent up these days unless it’s a few days stop. I have a small roll mat which is always in the car and a sleeping bag, bosh the larger back seat down, headrest out, turned round and back in again as a pillow job done. takes about 10 mins either end. I specifically will only buy a car with fold flat rear seats for this reason!

Only minor issue is when it’s raining – then water gets through the open window but i normally just open the back window where the bikes are a bit so it’s not a massive issue. I keep meaning to get wind deflectors cos that means you can crack the windows without worrying about it.

The only thing i’d say is try not to do anything to avoid condensation towels etc, wiping – just give it 10 minutes to air out the next morning if you do get any. Obviously crack a window and lock the car from the inside and don’t alarm it. My new car is a bit of a pain, as when you have finished with music etc and turn the ignition off to go to sleep, you have to open the drivers door and close it to kill the car, and then every light on the bloody thing turns on and illuminates everything around you… can be awkward on a campsite!

hora
    Free Member

Loddrik how did you (if you did ?) block the light?

nickdavies

Oh – and i’ve only ever done it in estates with dark privacy glass rear – i’d feel a lot less comfortable if it was clear glass.

hot_fiat

Used to sleep in my old marea all the time. Not convinced it’s any warmer than a tent and they do get condensation. Bought three karrimats from lidl or aldi and cut them to the shape of the windows to block out the light. Need to think about what you do with your stuff while you’re sleeping in the back.

loddrik
    Free Member

Can’t block it out completely but sleep with feet at tailgate, and put two towels/blankets etc over the rear windows just held in place with the windows up. Does a surprisingly good job. Rear windows are also privacy glass which helps.

rich-c
    Free Member

I’ve done it plenty of times before races, it saves drying out a tent as well as cleaning bikes etc if there’s not much time left on a Sunday.

Insignia estate gives just enough room for two 6 footers, crack the windows and if you don’t want to be awake early in the summer then get a pair of these,
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/design-go-the-nightshade-p295806?gclid=CMOR4-yv1L0CFSMYwwod2ygAig

Roll mat and a sleeping bag and you’re good to go.

hora
    Free Member

Hot_fiat its quite a wide car. I can actually sleep alongside but I’d stuff the bike in mateys van

loddrik
    Free Member

What car is it btw?

rich-c
    Free Member

oh and if you want privacy just leave the windows closed, they’ll soon steam up 🙂

unovolo
    Free Member

What about getting one of those snow/ice protectors that just cover the top half of the car like this

That should block plenty of light out.

PePPeR

I sleep in our Kia Sedona all the time, take all the seats out, throw a sleep mat in the back and off I go.

I’ve got blacked out windows which makes it easier though!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I have spent many nights in my pug 306 estate. Pillow, roll matt and sleeping bag and jobs a good’un. It has somewhere to charge my phone and a stereo. In fact I prefer my motor to a tent.

br
    Free Member

Just buy an easy pitch tent?

loddrik
    Free Member

Or sleep in the car. I know which I’d rather do.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Done it a few times and condensation was always annoying, that and it’s significantly colder than a tent and the light comes in early (or late if people are still around). The Van was lined, insulated and much more comfortable.

We had a cheap tent from Argos that was tough and easy to pitch. If it ever got that bad it was only £20 so no issue with binning it.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

To keep the light out and eyes just spray the window with water and cover with tin foil also works to keep the car cool during the day if sunny

loddrik
    Free Member

To keep the light out and eyes just spray the window with water and cover with tin foil also works to keep the car cool during the day if sunny

I believe this method is also an effective barrier to muslamic ray guns.

Scamper
    Free Member

Hassle pitching a tent? Sounds like you need a T5 Hora 😆

hora
    Free Member

😆

My car

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I had one of those once. Tried to convince myself it was practicable and a solid work horse.

Then I realised I was just being stupid, got rid of it and got a proper car

loddrik
    Free Member

Blanket over front seats and put bike there will leave nearly all rear for sleeping quarters.

trail_rat
    Free Member

looks like you should have bought a pope mobile …

bike with wheel in down one side and sleeping on the other.

for one night as one person its ok ….

i lived like that for 4 months ….. it gets claustrophobic in there after a bit – esp when your stealth camping.

skiprat
    Free Member

Agree with loddrick, put your bike in the front of your car. If you think its going in my van so you can wake me at 5am asking for my keys to get your bike so you can go home think again.

IHN

Others have said it, but make sure you leave at least one window open a bit; you’d be amazed how much moisture will build up overnight. A good tip is also to not quite shut the boot (if it’s a hatchback, estate or tailgate-doored van), this leaves a nice gap to let the car ventilate but means that rain won’t get in.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I sleep in my berlingo – much better when it’s warm enough to leave the boot open but I sleep better in that than a tent. We do have a camping conversion kit that you can take in and out which has nice thick cushions and blackout blinds. Condensation does build up a bit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

should add that getting up off the floor makes a silly big difference to your heat loss . i found in winter even in a -20 sleeping bag on a thermarest i would get cold – consistantly cooled big floor area thats a pretty good conductor ….

putting in a foot of air gap by raising my sleeping platform – the same sleeping bag – still in -10 at strathpuffer the following year i was too warm.

hora
    Free Member

Booo skip rat. You could chain your bike up outside and keep my bike safe? Guess thats a no 😀

hooli

I would say go for it, if it isn’t comfortable or you wake too early then you didn’t drink enough the night before 😀

hora
    Free Member

Thats one thing I don’t like about drinking when camping- fight your way out of the sleeping bag, find the zip, hold enclosure straight whilst using zip, quickly shut zip or migs will get in, fall over, fight another zip, return, (repeat) and then try re-arranging airbed etc.

Repeat again in 2hours.

IHN

You need to learn the art of the en-suite empty plastic 3pint milk bottle with lid 😉

skiprat
    Free Member

You just don’t like putting your tent up!! Long Mynd proved that. Rich is with me so i’ll have 2 bikes and stuff in there anyway plus your 5am wake up calls don’t even come with a cup of tea.

Seen this http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/santa-cruz-blur-xc-frame-size-large-upgraded-kashima-shock-260

Just strip your bike down, take your bits home and leave the boxy frame there.

skiprat
    Free Member

IHN or a Comfort bottle, safer lid incase you roll over during the night 😉

IHN

IHN or a Comfort bottle

I hope you mean my idea, rather than me 😯

skiprat
    Free Member

Yes the idea, not you. Eeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d be sleeping in the car, saves fannying about putting tent up and tbh I never sleep well on first night camping anyway.

hora
    Free Member

I hope you mean my idea, rather than me

Why? I’m a kind, considerate yet powerful lover.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Sleeping in your MPV v 1 night camp’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts