Home Forums Chat Forum Sky broadband

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sky broadband
  • marcg868
    Free Member

Any thoughts on them? Currently with BT as they were the only provider when we moved in back in 2018. Property has fibre to property and current speed is 300mb and never drops below 100mb. However price has gone up from £58 to £66 per month.
    Looking at changing to sky who have ultrafast 65-150mb for £32 a month or
    Gigafast 600-900mb for £52 a month.

razorrazoo

I’m on Sky broadband, in my area it’s the same network as BT, if I get and issue it’s an Openreach engineer who turns up.

martinhutch

It’ll be exactly the same as you get now. The only difference is the router, and I’ve found the Sky one to be fine in a normal sized house.

jeff

I find no difference in speed/reliability, but the Sky Router is not as good at the BT one.

TheGingerOne

It costs an extra £3 per month to get a better router, but it is part of an upgrade that makes no mention whatsoever of it including a better router, so typical Sky shyteness to deal with.

midlifecrashes

Had it since last Autumn, replaced Virgin 200MB. Openreach came and cut down our copper to the pole and replaced with fibre, and did all the setup on the phone & broadband side. Separate Sky dish guy came for TV setup.

My router similar range to Virgin, ie blind spots in house, but Sky tested on install and provide a mesh booster at no extra, which is pretty good over 3 storey Victorian solid house.

Package is TV without extra sport or movies, phone, broadband 900MB. Don’t think we often hit 900, but never slow enough for buffering or issues with Zoom stuff. Touch wood, have had no issues, and happy with the introductory price of £50 p/m we’re paying. At the end of contract we now have multiple fttp options so should be able to keep price down by either threatening to or actually switching.

dannybgoode

For reasons I’ve never quite fathomed given the back end service is all Openreach I’ve found the reliability of ISPs differs with Sky being right at the bottom.

Every few days the service septic slowly slow down then keel over requiring a router reboot. Tried different routers and even moved house (not in an effort to fix the broadband) and it was the same.

Sky could not fix it so I moved at the earliest opportunity…

fatbrad
    Free Member

We had the full Sky package. The Q boxes kept losing connection whether wired or wireless. Bandwidth was terrible. Came to the end of my contract and called them up to get a better deal and they offered me £5 a month off. After 7 years of being with them. Went to BT get a faster connection 3 Discs and much better service. The Q boxes never drop connection now either. Plus I’m paying £10 less than I was with Sky. The TV is going next month too

robola

For reasons I’ve never quite fathomed given the back end service is all Openreach I’ve found the reliability of ISPs differs with Sky being right at the bottom.

The backend being the same is a myth. The local infrastructure from your house through to the exchange is common. So issues like contention with your neighbours etc will always be the same. There is another step though where BT hand off to your ISP and then your ISP connects you to the wider internet. There are more differences here than you might think. I’ve been with Sky fibre to the premises for nearly 18 months and in that time there have been 2 major outages that lasted most of the day that were entirely limited to Sky, nothing to do with openreach. That is a pretty poor record IMO, especially when working from home.

I work in an IT role, when I told my boss I couldn’t work due to internet problems he was less than impressed when I told him I was with Sky. He used to work for them, his response was ‘what do you expect buying broadband from a TV company’. There is a grain of truth in there as at the time they were launching that Sky glass thing, so I expect they were buggering about with their service extensively.

I’ll be leaving when contract up for renewal.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sky broadband’ is closed to new replies.