• This topic has 21,651 replies, 378 voices, and was last updated 18 hours ago by rone.
Viewing 40 posts - 14,641 through 14,680 (of 21,652 total)
  • Sir! Keir! Starmer!
  • kelvin

Simply leave it alone for the time being!

So, avoid a clear policy/position in this area ’till closer to an election? Concentrate on the failings of the government right now? Especially as regards the cost of living, falling living standards, and failure on delivering essential public services?

rone

So, avoid a clear policy/position in this area ’till closer to an election? Concentrate on the failings of the government right now? Especially as regards the cost of living, falling living standards, and failure on delivering essential public services?

An emphatic yes. And more look at the state of everything the Tories have done. Everything they touch is a mess. Everything. This is what we can put right.

We can fix …

I don’t understand the relevance of bringing it up now at all. It’s kind of like fixing the fridge when the roof has caved in.

There are difficult times ahead that will be at the top of the shopping list that the Tories need to own.

It’s an easy target.

The Brexit thinking is born out of some really deprived areas. Fix these first.

“I’m going to fix the UK first. That’s the priority.” That sort of thing if you want a slightly nationalistic approach that doesn’t totally exclude future EU manoeuvres

kelvin

I agree completely.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Many people would be happy with rejoining the the single market to get rid of import/export restrictions and fix the NI protocol rows. But Starmer has reminded them that they can’t have that without freedom of movement, so that’s killed it.

Only 52% of the voting electorate thought Brexit was a good idea. Some of them now regret that, and there won’t be many remainers who think Brexit has worked well. There’s probably a majority against Brexit now, and a bigger majority for the single market (effectively economic union without political union). If Labour won’t support fixing the basket case that Brexit has led us to, they’re no use to me.

rone

If Labour won’t support fixing the basket case that Brexit has led us to, they’re no use to me.

You and lots of other voters.

But people do need to understand the damage that was being done precedes Brexit. Recent times – austerity was one of the big crunchers.

Go for the damage that caused first. It’s really hard for the Tories to wriggle out of that. Decades of damage by contracting the economy,concentrating wealth and decimating the state. Taking more money out of people’s pockets and destroying their services that led us to the pre-Brexit path.

Being in or out of the EU is secondary to a healthy, well-functioning UK. But I’d avoid the discussion as there are other priorities.

EU/FOM debate can come later when it’s palatable.

kimbers

Starmer is saying it now because he was a prominent Labour remain figure & The Tories have been using it against him, its been on Tory flyers in Wakefield

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/06/15/labour-would-seek-rejoin-eu-single-market-says-shadow-minister/

Lynton Crosby is back in No 10 and shifting the debate to immigaration, somnething he has weaponised to great success in UK and Australian election campaigns, its a culture war issue that works perfectly on many

rone

Starmer is saying it now because he was a prominent Labour remain figure & The Tories have been using it against him, its been on Tory flyers in Wakefield

Again just deflect to the mess of the Tories. “We’re out of the E.U – look at the mess we’re in. I need to fix the mess the Tories have created. Here’s how we can fix the UK first.”

Tories will use anything won’t they. They’re controlling the narrative.

And lets face it the Telegraph will just say anything despite what the truth is.

Pandering to the enemy.

Lynton Crosby is back in No 10 and shifting the debate to immigaration, somnething he has weaponised to great success in UK and Australian election campaigns, its a culture war issue that works perfectly on many

Maybe, but the cost of living is the real deal now; and Scott Morrison is no longer running the show.

kimbers

Maybe, but the cost of living is the real deal now.

I agree but theres mileage in blaming immigrants for that too

dazh

Starmer talking about immigration only highlights how naive, weak and incompetent he is. By any measure the tories are on much firmer ground on immigration than labour. They can send a clear and firm message to voters without having to dance the line that labour do. Just as with brexit labour will tie themselves in knots and end up pissing off everyone. So why the hell is Starmer even talking about it when there’s much more important stuff that people are worried about? The answer to that is that he doesn’t have any policies on the more important stuff so has nothing to say. Johnson’s running rings round labour at the moment, which is pretty astonishing given he had a vote of no confidence in him a couple of weeks ago.

rone

I agree but theres mileage in blaming immigrants for that too

Yes – so economy was rubbished when Austerity (Tories) took hold and now the economy (post-EU) is properly trashed. (Tories)

The Tories are in charge of all of this. The Tories always mess up the economy. It’s that simple.

I know the immigration thing sticks. Friends around me are full blood red wall. But you’ve got to keep pinning the blame on the Tories style of economics. Because that’s reality.

You know LBC will keep giving Starmer things for their audience to be outraged at. It’s that mentality.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Decades of damage by contracting the economy,concentrating wealth and decimating the state. Taking more money out of people’s pockets and destroying their services that led us to the pre-Brexit path.

Agreed. The real con trick was convincing people that was the EU’s fault.

The thing that worries me is that the Brexit mess is about to get worse unless Boris is stopped. The single market is the only real fix for Northern Ireland, anything else is short term fudge. Unless we can convince the EU that there’s the prospect of a sensible outcome, even if not immediately, we’ll have a trade war with the EU; the damage to the Horizon science programme is already serious.

dazh

Kier Starrmer telling his MPs not to join picket lines. He no doubt thinks he’s being very clever in avoiding a tory ‘trap’. Instead all it does is demonstrate to voters that his words are empty and he’s not prepared to actually do any opposing. It’ll feed into the narrative that he’s pointless and useless, and further piss off anyone on left of centre who will call him Scab Starmer. Christ, even binners supports the rail workers, that’s how much Starmer has misread the room.

dissonance

Its an odd display of “leadership” to not do anything.
    I am sure binners will switch soon now the glorious leader has spoken and start condemning those nasty rail workers. It just needs pointing out to him they are probably left wing.

asbrooks

If Labour won’t support fixing the basket case that Brexit has led us to, they’re no use to me.

Agreed, this lead me to vote for the greens in the last GE. Labour are quite safe in Leicester city, but I made my point to the Labour canvasser who knocked on my door asking for my continued support.

kelvin

very clever in avoiding a tory ‘trap’

I think it’s dumb. But necessary. A story of “Labour’s strikes” is the gift the government are chasing. All while trying to set up the idea that inflation this winter is the fault of workers wanting to eat and eat their homes… how selfish are we!?! Anyway… that boring chap leading the Labour party is trying to make it about “Tory strikes”… good luck to him, I’ll be surprised and impressed if they can make that stick.

I’m with the unions on this by the way, and it won’t stop with railways, other public sector staff are going to be forced into taking action if they want to simple reduce the rate at which their members are getting worse and worse off in real terms.

Agreed, this lead me to vote for the greens in the last GE.

Labour aren’t going to go near anything that looks like “fixing Brexit”… too many people still think they want things to stay broken. Give it a few years… and yes, Labour will probably be last to support any fixes, at least if in opposition… it’s far too easy a stick to for the government to beat them with at elections. Given PR, or a super safe Labour seat, I’d consider joining you with that vote.

dazh

Labour party is trying to make it about “Tory strikes”… good luck to him

Pissing in the wind. The tories are already all over news ranting about union barons and their donations to the labour party. Instead of trying to deny that labour would be better off standing along side the unions in calling for realistic pay rises etc to combat the cost of living and defending the rights of workers to take collective action in the face of threats to their jobs and incomes from employers. It’s a simple case of who’s side are you on, and Starmer is on the wrong side.

rone

Well the sentiment against Starmer – about this very discussion was strong on this on LBC this morning. That’s saying something.

As the damage starts to affect a good chunk of people – being ‘centre’ on the economy will look preposterous.

dazh
    rone

kelvin

Pretty clear what the strategy is (no, I don’t think it’ll stick either)…

rone

Where is Starmer?

I mean there’s currently sentiment for the strikers.

Surely he could have an opinion on wage suppression? Natural working class territory.

rone

Polly Toynbee rant coming soon

last seen citing Labour have shelves of ideas/policies.

rone

Also calling themselves a government in waiting!

rone

What’s the deal with Starmer and Lammy being investigated by the watchdog gifts/financial shenanigans?

Missed this.

Amazing that these statesman always cock-up their financial reporting. I’m assuming they’ve got access to decent accountants.

dazh

Where is Starmer?

In hiding while Mick Lynch does his job.

dazh

Do we need a Mick Lynch thread? Seeing as the self imposed STW censors say we’re not allowed to talk about political issues unless it’s focused on a personality.

ctk
    Free Member

Mick Lynch is bossing it in every interview he does.

rone

Media can’t deal with straight talkers.

rone

Do we need a Mick Lynch thread? Seeing as the self imposed STW censors say we’re not allowed to talk about political issues unless it’s focused on a personality.

I genuinely can’t get my head around that position.

I would say it’s nigh impossible to draw a line as to what is just exclusively about Boris Johnson.

I simply suspect certain people are just embarrassed about Starmer and previous positions.

If they win the by-election let’s see if Starmer is kept out of the Johnson thread.

kerley
    Free Member

Mick Lynch is bossing it in every interview he does.

Bloody marxists and their honest answers.

rone

Bloody marxists and their honest answers.

lol. Did you see the Madeley one?

dazh

This is currently my favourite, for no other reason than I despise Jonathan Gullis with a passion I’ve not felt in quite some time.

rone

An app on your phone so you can communicate better with your workers.

What an amazing idea!

That will definitely deliver a good train service and make up for wage suppression.

The more people like Mick Lynch kick back the more ridiculous these **** look.

kelvin

Lynch has been brilliant this week.

How’s the “blame Labour for the strikes” campaign by the Mail and Tories going? Starting to wonder if Starmer has handled it pretty well…

Contrasting the government response to bankers and rail workers at PMQs was a sound political move by Starmer. And he’s right.

kimbers

Gullis strikes me as one of those inherently unstable guys you meet in the pub at closing time, 50/50 chance he’ll try & beat you up or end up sobbing on your shoulder about his ex

ctk
    Free Member

Bullseye kimbers

ctk
    Free Member

SKS better in PMQs today. He’s trying to be funny which of course is hit and miss but if it means he references Bojo’s mistresses then great imo.

If I was LOTO I’d ask him questions about his mistresses and corruption every week but Starmer for whatever reason hasn’t so if jokes allow him to do that then its a positive.

colp

Gullis is like the PE teacher who gets promoted to deputy head.

BillMC
Viewing 40 posts - 14,641 through 14,680 (of 21,652 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.