Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Single speed road bike
  • kilo

Just been to look at that Pinnacle in the flesh, I be been toying with a single speed that can take guards for winter commuting instead of the Langster. Just a case of whether to get a large or extra large at 6’1″. The blue version looks pretty nice.
    The downside is it’s a shame about the ridiculous brake levers, they really compromise it imho and that’s another thirty quid or so for replacements, cables and tape. A frame only option would be handy given that I’d change the brake levers, wheels, saddle and run it fixed only.

TiRed

OK, I’ll fess up – my Dolan Pre Cursa sports a sub 322g (yes really!) Ritchey WCS carbon monocoque fork, the standard Alpina fork (I have two of those) is a bit of a boat anchor with an alloy steerer. Mine is a 54, so 73 head and 74 seat angles. A bit steeper at the rear than my (perfect) 73 parallel Paddy Wagon. The Seta has a 74 degree head angle, which has all that’s stopped me putting it into summer road duties. My Poyner steel track bike also is 74 degrees, and “a bit of a handful” out on real roads.

The newer PW has slacker geometry than my 2007. The Bowery and the Langster also havea 73 head angle, from memory. Langster is a nice bike, but fitting guards can be a pain. Son1’s now sports the original kona steel fork and yellow wheels, after he wrote both off at UNi.

My PW has an Enigma monocoque carbon fork (with SKS guards), Ritchey Stream bars, -17 Thomson stem, carbon seatpost, 105 165mm cranks and custom wheels (of course). Only the frame and Cane Creek brake levers are original now. It’s my favourite bike (and I have plenty to choose from).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just ridden into town on my plug setup fixed. Still not entirely sold on it compared to SS. I’ve probably got it geared too high for bimbling, but fixed seemed to amplify that, especially on all the small rises and dips where on a SS you would sprint up and coast down and onto the flat, on fixed I’m always moderating that so I don’t hit the crest too fast and end up spinning out on the downs. Probably just needs more practice.

Same with braking. Still got front and rear brakes, but having to coordinate legs as well makes slamming on the anchors a bit difficult.

TiRed

What’s the gearing? Typically 42×16 is the norm for off the peg fixed wheels. I ride 42×1 and 42×14 when fit. Track starts at about 48×14. Off to ride my Dolan on a closed circuit for a couple of hours of testing.

And I only ever use my brake to slow, front and rear. I don’t think about my legs, they just turn over with the speed. Try not to apply back pressure, or skid, just ride it like a bike!

I also found that going to just a front brake did not change the way I ride. Which was a surprise. My folder and the Dolan only have a front brake.

kerley
    Free Member

on fixed I’m always moderating that so I don’t hit the crest too fast and end up spinning out on the downs. Probably just needs more practice.

Same with braking. Still got front and rear brakes, but having to coordinate legs as well makes slamming on the anchors a bit difficult.

As you say, needs more practice. I use a low gear for fixed (44/18 – 64.5 inches) as also ride it off road and also don’t use brakes so being able to spin is critical and after many years of riding fixed I can spin at over 180rpm without bobbing on seat and still maintaining control. The lower gear also makes stopping easier (slowing gradually and skid stopping)
    You will get used to it and it will all feel so natural that a freewheeled bike feels a bit disconnected.

kilo

So having looked at the pinnacle Monzonite Jameso linked to over the weekend I went in to try it for size just now and as it was now only £350 bought one. I think I’m going to swap all the good bits off my Langster – brooks saddle, wheels and brake levers and then see how I get on with it

root-n-5th
    Free Member

@kilo. How are you getting on with it?

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Single speed road bike’ is closed to new replies.