Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Single speed road bike
  • kcal

I had a fixed gear road bike for a while and really enjoyed most of what it gave. When I say road bike it was an old MTB alloy frame with drop bars, P2 forks and 26″ slick tyres.

It did take some getting used to, but “just pedal” eventually came to make great deal of sense. I also have SS MTBs, the fixed gear was an order of magnitude of a workout harder – SS freehub allows you to back off and coast, there is no coast for fixed.

It eventually was moved on, but for simplicity it had a lot of plus points.

winston
    Free Member

“I have a wealth of experience to draw up to decry that claim”

Me too, had plenty of fixies (in fact I even sold one to Bez!) but not sure leaving the pub three sheets to the wind in light drizzle and feeling that unexpected kick in the back of the leg is an ideal experience…

tthew

How is clipping in on a fixed gear?

Night and day easier! Trying to reach down to tighten/loosen straps is a complete PITA when your feet won’t stay still. Don’t know how old roadies managed it back in the day.

cookeaa

The bike does have some rolling inertia when up to speed but you can resist that and control your speed via the pedals quite easily it’s quite direct. I can bring the bike to a stop with just the pedals, but obviously stopping distances using that method are much longer for me (My fixie skids aren’t that awesome TBH), it’s a whole lot more effective combined with a bit of front brake, which is definitely the way to avoid a dozey driver pulling out on you.

I’m not going to say it’s better or worse, you can control a bike’s speed pretty much as effectively either with or without a FW (IME).

It’s OK out in the country, but TBH if I’m going more than say 15 miles I’d rather have gears for the ups and a FW for the descents.
    My old flat commute from Reading to Newbury was pretty good fixed, the bike rolled well along the A4 and traffic at either end wasn’t too hard to navigate, these days I get to mix it up on everything from tow paths to dual carriageway round town…

Oh and I’m riding with SPDs, big old red M636 DX jobs, so I’ve a nice big platform if I do miss getting clipped in and I can pop round to the local shop just wearing some Vans or whatever, I’m not keen on faffing with toe clips and straps…

Bez

I even sold one to Bez!

Did you? What was that then? (I may have owned too many bikes in my time.)

cynic-al
    Free Member

I prefer freewheel (having ridden both) and the efficieny difference, even to gears, is insignificant.

winston
    Free Member

Pompino (it was a few years ago). We met in a darkened carpark….

hardtailonly

I ride SS (MTB) just for a different challenge & variety, and as the winter-slop bike. Feels lighter, less draggy, more efficient than a geared MTB. I like the challenge of what uphills I can clean, and of balancing the in/out of the saddle with traction conundrum. It is said that you are never in the right gear, but actually, on a MTB particularly, in local general XC riding, the single gear works pretty well across the range of speed you are using most of the time (most of my local trails are undulating; it would be different if the ups & downs were all steep!).

I turned my commuter SS to liven it up a bit. Since I got my nice gravel bike, I’d been using that for most of my commuting too, which meant the commuter had sat in the garage mostly unused. It’s shed a bit of weight (about a kg), and with the wet weather we’ve had recently, because it has guards & a rack, I’ve used it more in the last month than the preceding 18 months. Simplicity, lower maintenance, variety, and a different challenge (gurning up a long slog of a hill, just slightly too steep for the gearing to be comfortable).

Haven’t tried fixie, and don’t really feel the need. But love SS.

Bez

Many a bicycle/frame/wheel exchange has been done in a dark car park 🙂

Mm, I thought the Pompino must have been it (apologies, terrible memory for forum names). It was a shame but that didn’t work out, it was too small for me. I built it up with some nice kit and sold it for a healthy loss.

flange
    Free Member

I used to commute through London on a fixed track bike – loved it. Yes, it does take some getting used to but you soon get into it. I used to ride with Look road pedals which on reflection wasn’t the brightest idea but you soon get good at clipping in.

Things worth noting – keep on top of chain tension, you don’t want a slack chain. Don’t try and brake with your knees as it screws them up. Stretch your hamstrings a lot. Oh and be amazed at the number of times you freewheel on a geared bike – see a drain cover, freewheel. Reach for your bottle, freewheel. Trust me, you’ll only make the mistake once..

Daffy

All of this talk of zero maintenance.

My Niner RLT with its Di2 Alfine 11 has had a nothing bar an oil flush, tyres and a set of pads in over 23k km. I think it needs a headset, but there’s a CK waiting in the drawer for when it dies.

EDIT – I also have a Kona Bandwagon (2010) SS roadbike. It’s on its second set of wheels, second BB, second headset, etc.

They’ve all been replaced with Phil Woods, Royce, CK etc, so should last a while.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Love singlespeed, thinking of getting a fixie too (with a front brake). I found having a belt drive just felt so much better than a chain. All in my head I’m sure but it’s nice not to have to bother with clips on yer jeans when you pop down the pub.

Bank Holiday Monday-1

Bez

All of this talk of zero maintenance…

Yeah, but no-one said all other bikes were high maintenance. Derailleur systems are high maintenance. Good hub geared systems are low maintenance.

TiRed

All except my folder sport Look keo pedals. Clipping in becomes second nature and you will become good at it – when fixed you have no second chance, as you can’t just coast to engage that second foot! I do it instinctively and don’t notice a difference to my non-fixed bikes.

On the folder I use flat pedals and no straps or toeclips. I’m not spinning as fast and normally wearing work shoes.

The Paddy Wagon had some robust (read heavy) wheels, good sealed bearings. but heavy. I ride low flange Miche hubs with Open Pros and have two sets on different bikes. I also have track wheels and nice heavy set of campag for anther bike with MA40 rims. The dream bike is a Rourke fixed road bike in stainless steel with TCR compact geometry and Royce bling. One day…

plus-one

@tired you want a giant Bowery(treat it to a bling paint job) awesome ss/fixed bike 🙂

ajf
    Free Member

Thinking of fixed wheel for my surly crosscheck, it’s been many guises but that’s one it hasn’t had.

Will it improve stopping distances in bad weather? I’ll have front and back brake as well but kinda assumed it would help in those car pulling out of junctions over cycle lane moments?

Also anyone recommend a cheap decentish wheelset? Preferably flip flop hub?

avdave2

It’s an interesting notion to equate being in the wrong gear with efficiency, I shall try constantly driving my car in 2nd and see how my fuel economy goes `:-)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Back when I was only commuting, like many I bought one of those bargaintastic Specialized Tricross Singlecross that were available 2008-2010, think it cost me something like ~£325 from Hargroves. In hindsight, I kind of regret never trying fixed on the flip-flop hub, or trying anything like ~40mm tyres it had clearance for. But then I had my RTA on it, lost all confidence in rim brakes and sold it on here.

Problem is that bike prices have risen sharply since then, while trying to source an SS with hydraulic brakes under £1k is almost impossible. I still can’t believe that I was early to spot the Charge Grinduro editions at Wiggle for ~£510 back in 2017, but failed to spot the brakes were “proper hydraulic” TRP Hylex and so didn’t snap one up! 😆

Still, every cloud has a silver lining and all that, a few months later I got my Cube for the steal price of £900 as one of the final ones left at Rutland in their May bank hol promo.

kerley
    Free Member

It’s an interesting notion to equate being in the wrong gear with efficiency, I shall try constantly driving my car in 2nd and see how my fuel economy goes

The drivetrain is more efficient not the gearing choice. You would need to remove the gearbox and directly drive the wheels from the engine if you want to try fixed in your car. I would guess it may not be worth it.

kerley
    Free Member

I have ridden fixed for almost 20 years with a bit of single speed in between but always go back to fixed (road, gravel and off road). This year I picked up a bargain 29er with 1×11 and the novelty was great at first (being able to ride fast on off road downhills) but 2 months later I am selling it and back on fixed again.
    I just don’t like gears or freewheels or brakes.

epicyclo

plus one

@tired you want a giant Bowery(treat it to a bling paint job) awesome ss/fixed bike

I had one in Oz. Can also recommend it.

Lovely direct feel to the pedalling. Also it has nice handling at almost zero speed when you’re busting a gut up a nasty steep bit, ie flowing zigzags no problem.

I used to take mine up Mt Nebo in Brisbane, and Lake Morris in Cairns – both similar climbs to the Bealach na Bah.

kilo

Also anyone recommend a cheap decentish wheelset? Preferably flip flop hub?

I use halo wheels on my Langster, think they’re flip flop but I only ever run fixed and it’s at work so I can’t check. Run true for commuting, cope with London streets on 25c and spin up to speed well. If money’s tight you can always just stick a normal road front wheel in and save any fixie / hipster tax

jameso

monz

£400. DB Cromo, nice lugged fork, good kit. Takes big tyres or guards. Silly brake levers imo but fashion said.

Bez

Bah. Extrapolating the geometry chart for that, I’d be spot on with an XXXL. I won’t hold my breath 🙂

ajf
    Free Member

@kilo cheers, looked at halo wheels but not sure about full painted rims as I want a decent braking surface.

Gave it some thought and I want bombproof and ability to monster cross single speed and road tyres for fixie, also ideally 130 oln rear. Oh and cheapish so I was thinking a bit moon on stick but went to the original bearded bike fiend, where fixies were the preserve of old men and audax riders. Spa cycles 😀

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s178p1817/SPA-CYCLES-Handbuilt-Wheelset-Exal-LX17-System-EX-Track-Hubs

Can take between 25 and 55mm tyres built by person with Original hipster beard, hand built and tough as old boots.

cookeaa

It’s an interesting notion to equate being in the wrong gear with efficiency, I shall try constantly driving my car in 2nd and see how my fuel economy goes `:-)

It’s more like being stuck in 3rd or 4th but you’ve got a reasonable diesel engine with a decent power band and plenty of torque at low revs, you’re just a bit slow away from the lights, but it’s not a race you know 😉

krixmeister

@nobody:

with hydraulic brakes under £1k is almost impossible. I still can’t believe that I was early to spot the Charge Grinduro editions at Wiggle for ~£510 back in 2017, but failed to spot the brakes were “proper hydraulic” TRP Hylex and so didn’t snap one up! 😆

I bought mine here in the USA in early 2017 at $799 thinking that was a damn good price. Then they dropped to $599 – I should have bought another one, just because.

Horribly blingy graphics and the cranks are made of cheese, but otherwise what a stonking deal that bike was. Shame they don’t do it anymore, but getting great use out of mine. In fact, doing a gravel race on it this Saturday!

oddnumber
    Free Member

Is the Plug Grinduro fixed, @krixmeister?

krixmeister

Nope – Singlespeed

four
    Free Member

Thanks all much appreciated.

The Pinnacle and Dolan look pretty decent choices.

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/urban/bikes/urban-aluminium/dolan-fxe-aluminium-fixie-bike-black-gloss.html

Worth the extra dough over the Pinnacle?

tthew

With the carbon forks and nicer wheels, and probably a decent chunk lighter I’d go for the Dolan. As Jamso suggested himself with the brake levers comment, the Pinnacle is trying to appeal to a more fashionable market. Dolan is a speed machine.

jameso

^ it’s also easier to swap to flat bars or go fixed with a front brake only using those cross top levers. I’m just grumpy as I like SS road bikes with normal levers.

TiRed

Dolan, no question. That pinnacle has slow handling geometry and a heavy frame. Butted, not double butted steel. By contrast, the Dolan has classic road geometry, light alloy frame and decent spec. Worth every extra penny. Have one set up as a fixed TT bike.

jameso

It’s double butted crmo TiRed, light gauge. Frame’s a pretty good weight for a steel bike esp at that price. Handling isn’t quite as steep as a race or track bike, more city and winter road use, I know you prefer race geo though.

tthew

Sorry Jamso, I feel a bit bad for liking the Dolan better, but for balance I like my own Dolomite a lot and a bloke at work purchased a Laterite on my recommendation. 👍

roper
    Free Member

I ride a Specialized Tricross (mentioned above) and love it. Great for cx/gravel riding and exploring over most surfaces. Great fun to ride and is my go to bike when I ride on my own. I’ve not ridden it fixed as the need to dab is a constant and I’m not sure how quickly I could unclip with spinning legs.

Bez

the Dolan has classic road geometry, light alloy frame

The Dolan isn’t that light: mine (60cm) is a bit over 2kg for the frame*, which is 250g or so heavier than my Trek Crossrip (61cm) and 500g or so heavier than my CAAD9 (63cm). The fork is a bit heavier than both the others as well, though only about 50g.

The 75/74 angles are pretty keen, too, even by classic road standards; the 72/73 on the Pinnacle will probably suit most people better, I’d have thought.

* NB looking at Surly’s quoted frame weights for the Steamroller (1.9kg for the 53cm, 2.0kg for the 56cm) it looks like the FXE may be only about 100g shy of an equivalently sized Steamroller 😬

kerley
    Free Member

The Dolan isn’t that light

It certainly isn’t. I have had quite a few Dolan pre cursa frames over the years as they are almost disposable at £100 for the frame. A 54cm frame weighs 1850g and the carbon blade fork weighs almost 600g. I had a 531c track frameset that was lighter and my current Langster Pro frame is 1500g with a 360g fork. The Steamroller frame is 1.9kg but the for is almost 1kg (I have had a few of those too)

The geometry is steep but the fork offset is 30mm so the handling is actually a bit more stable than a road bike due to increased trail. Having ridden quite a few of the available track frames on the road and gravel I would go for a Dolan for a budget option.

jameso

tthew – don’t, very different bikes, it’s all choices, all good 👍

jameso

(2x post fat fingers)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Single speed road bike’ is closed to new replies.