Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Simple household tasks which are extraordinarily difficult
  • kayak23

I’ve been wanting to rant about modern mixer taps for ages… They splash water everywhere

One word. Get a tap diffuser.
    Game changer.

reluctantjumper

Cleaning a ‘Self Cleaning Non-stick’ oven. I just get a man in now every 6 months or so to do it with wizardry out of the back of his van.

Opening those hard plastic blister packs with heat sealed edges that gadgets sometimes come in. You need to buy an angle grinder to do it and pray it doesn’t come in one too!

Old school can openers, work perfectly and don’t come packaged in the infernal stuff to start with.

funkmasterp

Getting a five year old Funkette to eat her breakfast. Or is that just this morning.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Can I just ask, why the heck does anyone rinse stuff that’s going into a dishwasher?

Are you my parents? Scoffing and tutting whenever they see me pre-rinsing dishes, despite the fact it’s always me who has to come round and unblock their dishwasher drain when they block it…

soundninjauk

Getting the month old baby to stop crying and go to sleep.

stwhannah

Getting the month old baby to stop crying and go to sleep.

That’s a task I like! I recommend singing. You can’t sing properly if you’re tense, they feel your body relax and they relax too. Also a sort of mr motivator style side to side step with squat dip in the middle. Aww. I could trade you my dishes for the crying baby, but there’s probably rules about that sort of thing.

blackhat
    Free Member

Removing a Weetabix biscuit from the paper wrapper without scattering flaky crumbs all over the kitchen worktop. I could swear that each comes with a spring loaded scatter gun.

stumpyjon

Putting the bins out obviously. As for the pre-rinse thing, it’s a good idea if you don’t want your plastics staining with tomato soup, curry or Chinese red sauces. Also find if the plates go in caked in food they don’t come out properly clean although that leads me on to another simple household task which is extraordinarily difficult, stacking the dish washer so that the water can actually get to everything……

ji
    Free Member

Years ago I was in somewhere pretentious like Lakeland where they were selling a special knife for opening those blister packs. It was in a blister pack.

Opening those hard plastic blister packs with heat sealed edges that gadgets sometimes come in. You need to buy an angle grinder to do it

Simply use a tin opener on the edges. You’re welcome.

soundninjauk

I could trade you my dishes for the crying baby, but there’s probably rules about that sort of thing.

I’ll take it.

Sandwich

Garlic should be sliced thinly.

Depends on the amount of garlic “punch” you need in the dish Slicing/chopping for a milder approach, crush for moar garlic flavour.

EDIT Crying baby needs a non-marking white rubber mallet. One tap and quiet returns. 😀

martinhutch

Changing the **** duvet case.

This is the only answer on this thread that makes sense.

Goodfellas prison-style.

tjagain

Garlic should be crushed with the flat of your knife blade then chopped in two directions

Crushing breaks the cell walls to release the flavour

mert
    Free Member

Yarp, crush then dice. Only way to do it.

Depending what it’s going it determines how finely you dice it.

I give you pizza scissors.

I’ll get these when my park pizza cutter breaks, which by all accounts should have been 15 years ago. But it’s still going strong.

Cougar

Can I just ask, why the heck does anyone rinse stuff that’s going into a dishwasher?

Because you’re supposed to?

Would you pre-rinse normal crockery etc before washing by hand?

Yes. You might relish sloshing your hands around in foody farage but I don’t.

RustySpanner

That’s a task I like! I recommend singing. You can’t sing properly if you’re tense, they feel your body relax and they relax too.

I recommend 1952 Vincent Black Lightning.
    Probably why the 4 year old calls anyone with red hair ‘Molly’.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Those evil packets that have the little “peel here “ tab on them, only works if you have a pair of pliers or scissors to hand. Do the idiots who design these things ever test them? Oh, and the resealable pasta bags that instantly split from top to bottom when opened, Grrrrr.

Sandwich

@Cougar have a like for correct use of farage in a sentence. (Johnny & the Baptists?)

thepurist

I expect that pre rinsing will correlate with poor portion control. All that’s usually left for us is a smear of jus, veloute, reduction or plain old gravy.

Cougar

have a like for correct use of farage in a sentence. (Johnny & the Baptists?)

I don’t recall the source, there was a thing a few months back where people were trying to come up with a word for the detritus-laden horror water oft found in the bottom of toilet brush holders. Might even have been on here.

cheers_drive

The weekly meal planner.
    The moment my wife says we got to do it my brain empties of the hundreds of different dished I’ve ever had. I like food but I can understand why some people eat the same meal everyday.

desperatebicycle

Peeling a piece of clingfilm off the roll.. they always start ok, then seem to get bashed on the end and you peel an ever-shrinking piece, then you have to find the end and pick it with your fingernail… its worse than dented sellotape!

Sandwich

The definition I know is the secretions at the bottom of the kitchen bin = farage. From the aforementioned Johnny & The Baptists

tonyg2003

The blister packs for those little CR2032 (or whatever they are called) batteries that go into lights and HR straps. Bloody impossible to get into and then you have to remember to remove the little peel off tab on the battery or your HR monitor won’t work and you will be left wondering why… I’m told😉

eyestwice
    Free Member

100% this. And then crushed with the side of the knife to release the oil

funkmasterp

That’s a task I like! I recommend singing. You can’t sing properly if you’re tense, they feel your body relax and they relax too.
    I recommend 1952 Vincent Black Lightning.
    Probably why the 4 year old calls anyone with red hair ‘Molly’.

I used to use Neil Young’s Harvest or After the Goldrush. Singing along to Out on the Weekend worked a treat.

eyestwice
    Free Member

@cougar – rinsing before the dishwasher.

No you aren’t.

Unless you’ve left an entire chicken kiev on there. Or half a stroganoff etc.

sockpuppet

One word. Get a tap diffuser.

Counting seems to be trickiest, given the evidence!!

tjagain

Eyetwice

Crush then chop you heathen

frankconway

I’ll just settle for remembering – anything…

Rich_s

X2

View post on imgur.com

zippykona

Regarding the garlic comments above.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Turning lights off when you’ve left a room. Seems impossible for everyone bar me

Still pondering this. How do you turn the lights off after you’ve left a room?

Cougar

No you aren’t.

Most of us aren’t in the US.

Cougar

Still pondering this. How do you turn the lights off after you’ve left a room?

“Alexa, living room lights off.”

Ambrose

Or push the lightswitch. It’s really easy.

ampthill

The instructions with our dish washer were really clear. You have basically bought a huge rinsing machine. Pre rinsing just wastes time , energy and water. What’s encouraged is scraping.

I’d say matching plastic boxes and lids can be a challenge in our house

tall_martin

My 3 year old did not like Vincent black lighting 1952 sing at bedtime this week. I did 🙂

They Johnny cash version of hurt did work. I’ve stopped singing it as he learns to talk.

Now he mostly asks for ring of fire

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Taking used crockery to the kitchen and emptying any waste into the kitchen bin that you pass on the way to the sink sideboard.

mrchrist

Putting washing away.

I have no idea which clothes belong to which child so take ages to check labels.

My working memory skills are very low.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.