Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Simple household tasks which are extraordinarily difficult
  • markgraylish
    Free Member

Splitting open a new bin bag…grrr

Is there a special technique for this?

I’ve been twiddling a new bag between my thumbs for nearly ten minutes now and there isn’t the slightest hint that the opening is gonna open…

Houns

Try the other end then

You’re welcome 😉

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

lick you thumbs

jodafett

Working from home!

matt_outandabout

Simple household tasks which are extraordinarily difficult

Loading the dishwasher, according to our kids.
    #ThereIsOneRightWay

kilo

Turning off the cold water feed to the cistern by turning the tap put there to turn off the cold water – doing that didn’t involve an emergency call out plumber as the tap started pissing water all over the floor and a £140 bill oh no.

thepurist

Opening a bag of flour without ripping a hole in it.

funkmasterp

Turning lights off when you’ve left a room. Seems impossible for everyone bar me

oceanskipper

Opening a bag of flour without ripping a hole in it.

Ditto  cereal, pasta, Bisto and that ridiculous new packaging on Tesco own brand cheeses – work of the Devil all of them.

kayak23

Taking the sticky label off the one cell thick, perforated bread bag on fresh bread and hoping that it won’t instantly rip to shreds.

Spoiler alert.
    It will rip to shreds and suddenly appear much smaller than the loaf that you’re trying to get back into it.

blokeuptheroad

Opening those hard plastic blister packs with heat sealed edges that gadgets sometimes come in.  You need to buy an angle grinder to do it and pray it doesn’t come in one too!

Removing stickers from fruit, or not noticing them and eating them.

zippykona

Changing the **** duvet case.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Removing stickers from fruit, or not noticing them and eating them.

I recently learnt that those stickers are (supposed to be) edible…

beej

Inside out method!

oceanskipper

Finding things where you left them. See also looking for something in the place it has been kept for 10 years only to find it now lives somewhere else for no reason whatsoever…

binners

Inside out method!

Yip. My mum taught me how to do this in one move. As far as I’m concerned this makes me some kind of ninja 😃

binners

Remembering what I came into the kitchen for

sirromj

Remembering what scissors are for.

stwhannah

The dishes. They sit there waiting to be done, just when you’ve done the day and eaten some food and just want to zone out and relax. Then they glare evilly at you in the morning, starting the day off with a dose of regret. I hate dishes.

Kryton57

Finding any of the 3 pairs of scissors that I know are in the house.

kayak23

Girl I used to share with cut her pizzas up with scissors.
    Crazy world.

bigdean

Getting a slice of ham out the packet.
    I’m convinced they deliberately fold the ham slices in the packet opposite to the peel direction.

Tearing the corner neatly off any packaging and it not tear the length of the packet leaving the kitchen covered in dry pasta/ rice.

Also children and light switches

singlespeedstu

Trying not to run with scissors in hand.

Girl I used to share with cut her pizzas up with scissors.

Harry Tuffins cafe in Churchstoke they used to cut breakfast sandwiches in half with scissors😮

The badlands between the west midlands and mid wales is a very strange place. 🤣

Northwind

stwhannah

The dishes. They sit there waiting to be done, just when you’ve done the day and eaten some food and just want to zone out and relax. Then they glare evilly at you in the morning, starting the day off with a dose of regret. I hate dishes.

I pile dishes in the sink bowl. And then I pile them on the worktop. So by the time I actually think “I’ll do the dishes” it’s all a complete pain in the arse because there’s no space to put everything and there’s too much in the bowl to actually wash them. So I decide not to and then make it even worse.

And then when you do finally do them, there’s only bloody more the next day!

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

With 4 young kids – every single **** one of them.

Daffy

What’s wrong with all of you? 10mins on a bin bag? How do you not fall down more?

Ambrose

Wiping down the worktops. I just give up at this stage. I’ve already scraped and rinsed everything, loaded it into the dishwasher, put away stray bits of food etc. The last step is always the worktops. I absolutely hate it. Dunno why, but I do.

dti

On the other hand is there anything more satisfying than putting the wrapper label in the first bin bag of the roll

cheers_drive

Definitely duvet. Especially superking as its nearly but not quite square

sandboy

This 100%! Definitely my least favourite job. I can do the inside out technique, it’s just fastening the buttons with my big thumbs that is the problem. Takes me an age!!

riklegge

Cleaning the garlic crusher. I hate them. My wife loves them, because it makes it easy to use garlic. She doesn’t wash the **** up though. Little silver bastard.

maccruiskeen

I perfected a technique of putting the duvet cover on and making the bed, with me in it, in just a few seconds. Its a pretty hectic, violent action and requires a bit of space and a big wingspan. On occasion a light fitting gets broken. The lie down afterwards is appreciated though.

I recently learnt that those stickers are (supposed to be) edible…

Everything is edible at least once.

sirromj

I’ve been wanting to rant about modern mixer taps for ages… They splash water everywhere. No matter what is laying beneath them, the water from a modern tap will instantly find it and use it to eject water upwards and outwards in some random direction either covering me or the **** wooden worktop. And not just that but having to plan ahead for when you want hot water or cold water because when you want different temperature water it takes at least 30 seconds to come through.

tthew

Cleaning the garlic crusher. I hate them. My wife loves them because it makes it easy to use garlic…

They’re not as easy as the garlic that comes in a squirty tube.

mattyfez

Jesus christ.. Garlic crushers?

Garlic should be sliced thinly.

Bloody animals.

I want my STW membership refunded!

MoreCashThanDash

Jesus christ.. Garlic crushers?

Garlic should be sliced thinly.

Bloody animals.

I want my STW membership refunded!

You need to stay and educate the heathens

Cougar

Opening those hard plastic blister packs with heat sealed edges that gadgets sometimes come in. You need to buy an angle grinder to do it and pray it doesn’t come in one too!

Years ago I was in somewhere pretentious like Lakeland where they were selling a special knife for opening those blister packs. It was in a blister pack.

Rich_s

I’ve already scraped and rinsed everything, loaded it into the dishwasher

Can I just ask, why the heck does anyone rinse stuff that’s going into a dishwasher?

Would you pre-rinse normal crockery etc before washing by hand? No? Then bung it in the magic washy cabinet and let it do its stuff. Pro tip, the dishwasher probably has its own pre-rinse cycle.

Also to answer the OP. Picking up *literally* anything in this house.

markgraylish
    Free Member

…blister packs…

Yeah, those as well. Which “profession” decided they’d be a good idea?

crazy-legs

Changing the hoover bag (yes, yes bagless hoovers, whatever…)

Did the people who design vacuum cleaners never actually sit down with the people who design the bags to find designs that actually complement each other?!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.