Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 206 total)
  • Sierra Cycling Holidays Fuengirola Southern Spain
  • drwato
    Free Member

I think it’s about time somebody posted something (Positive) regarding Sierra Cycling over in Southern Spain. I went away twice with them last year, 10 days in April and a week in early October, which in a sentence speaks for itself.

Alan collected and returned me my bike and my belongings at Malaga Airport both times Free of Charge. On arrival at the Beach House there is always some food – biscuits/peanuts or a drink alcoholic or none alcoholic in the fridge which is perfect after a tiring flight and spending hours queuing.

Last time Ash one of the two British guides put my bike together for me and took me to the BMX track for an afternoons advanced skills coaching session and blast back down San Anton – even though it was his afternoon off – again Free of Charge. (Other companies charge £220 a day for a skills session)…

Alan and Mary are always up every morning to make a full cooked breakfast, fruit, cereal, fresh bread, orange, porridge or whatever you ask for – this is included in the price of the room. The riding is extremely varied and the guides have an extensive knowledge of the local area. The routes range from XC, technical single track to smooth fast techy enduro/downhill. A highlight for me was the El Chorro, Bob Astro and Holy trails out in the mountains behind Malaga. This is a truly stunning place with some great riding. (hoping to ride the Telecom Tower next time out)

Any technical or bike queries or issues are always dealt with and nothing is too much trouble. The fridges are always kept full of drinks pop, beer and there is freeview and internet access with a wash facility for cleaning your dusty clothing after a ride. If you want to cool off there is also a nice clean shared pool located in private secure gardens.

The accommodation is 100 meters walk from the Promenade which stretches down along the Mediterranean. From there you can walk in to town to find a decent cheap Tapas/Italian/Spanish restaurant or (Tahiti) bar where you can get a drink (cocktail) or game of pool. Last time this was all arranged by the guides and we all went out as a group – which was great for me being a single traveller.

I’ve just booked another week with Sierra as they cannot be beaten on price, value, accommodation, guiding/coaching, atmosphere, location, weather and riding. The reason I will go back again and again with Sierra is because I get a feeling their primary interest is with catering for you the customer and making sure you enjoy your time with them.

This is a lot more than can be said for another allegedly leading UK outfit that I have recently been away with where the relationship seemed strictly materialistic.

Keep up the good (hard) work Sierra,
    looking forward to September!
    🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

took me straight up to the BMX track for an afternoon(Other companies would charge £220 a day for the skills session)…

wheelz
    Free Member

I’ve done a couple of trips with Sierra Cycling as part of a group and I’ve always found them to be excellent, even when we made Ash ride in a torrential downpour because we only had two days of riding and didn’t want to miss out!

Very welcoming, very accommodating and the free beer in the fridge was very much appreciated after a day on the trails.

The trails are excellent, with plenty of variety, and the guides know them like the back of their hands.

My only complaint is that Alan beat me up every hill, despite being at least 15 years older then me!

We will be going back later this year.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Id like to think Alan took the feedback on board, I noticed a recent reply from him where his Sig mentioned money back guarantee. Didn’t stop him initially threatening legal action, but maybe with time to reflect he lowered his defences and took stock.

We had a fantastic trip with mike at mountainbikekerala and could draw direct comparisons between where Alan failed and Mike excelled. Glad to hear he seems to have got his mojo back, and we liked Ash but he was new (arrived after us) and was still learning the trails.

We’re of to bikeverbier in a few weeks time, only ever heard glowing praise for them.

drwato
    Free Member

Just giving an HONEST and accurate opinion of my 2 stops with Alan.

I don’t do arguing I just want to be honest with this review as this is how I spent my time with the great staff ENJOYING myself…

I don’t like people who go around bigging up how good they are blowing their own trumpet and name dropping places in the French Alps…

This is a review of my Holiday and not yours… So politely BORE OFF!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

?
    Not sure where I bigged myself up? Your post implicitly referenced our critical review so you had to expect a reply. And like my original review I have been reasonable. I referenced bikeverbier and kerala to point out we have ridden with other outfits and will continue to do so. Some of the positive reviews I’ve seen or heard of SC were from novice riders with no reference point. It’s a public forum, we’re all allowed to post.

Your review comes suspiciously early in your posting history. Were you prompted?

And verbier isn’t in the French alps.

Duggan

Creating a thread on a subject on a public forum and then getting annoyed when someone else offers an opinion 🙄

Dobbo

Am I allowed to post on your thread, maybe you should have asked for the thread to be closed after your post.

You come across a bit too positive for me, make it sound like you’re a bit of a PR man or part of a cult! 😯

It’s a bit hard to see if you’re always this positive as it’s only your 2nd post on the forum.

johnners
    Free Member

I don’t think I’d like the kind of holidays you like, you sound an utter twerp.

footflaps

This is a review of my Holiday advert for my company and not yours… So politely BORE OFF!

FIFY

captain_bastard
    Free Member

drwato

was there any reason to be rude? nothing i can see, suggest you cool off and apologise

seavers
    Free Member

Totally uncalled for. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and may not have such a positive experience like you with that particular company. In contrast they may have used a different company second time round and had a very positive experience.

I for one have been thinking about a biking holiday in Spain and welcome all input so I can make an informed choice who I book with.

Unfortunately your review does read like an advert, maybe that’s just your writing style, maybe not.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Unfortunately your review does read like an advert

+1

Seems like a lot of keywords to stuff into the title to get it up the rankings in google (now above that ‘other’ thread)

WillC9999
    Free Member

Hmmmm I smell something…

Dobbo

Seems like a lot of keywords to stuff into the title to get it up the rankings in google (now above that ‘other’ thread)

Plus a bit of bold font tagging.

And the title “sierra-cycling-holidays-fuengirola-southern-spain” I mean, come on, it’s a bit blatant.

Was this the other thread you meant? A shambolic week with sierra cycling.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I thoroughly enjoyed a holiday with Sierra Cycling, a good while ago now right enough, and would recommend it based on that, but there is an advertorial quality to the OP’s glowing review and subsequent adversarial responses which has my spidey senses tingling.

WillC9999
    Free Member

If it looks like an advert and smells like an advert it probably is an advert. I don’t like the (failed) attempt at subterfuge.

hugor
    Free Member

I’d hate to be a LBS or tour operator in Britain. Sites like this have way too much power and not enough quality control. No wonder the LBS is dying in the uk whilst online retailers with F all responsibility and accountability thrive.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

this is just painful and fairly sad, fair enough to big up your or someone else’s business – nothing wrong with that, but at least make an effort to engage and encourage, not some transparent and amateurish attempt at an impartial review

cb

OP – read your post and was aware of the previous “episode”. Actually went to the SC website and thought uhmmm, does look pretty good. Now I have doubts – whoever you are – you are an Idiot. If you are genuinely just a customer – you are now a customer and an idiot.

crazy-legs

Reads strangely doesn’t it?
    Second ever post on here, registered a month ago but obviously aware of the old Sierra Cycling post which is 8 months old.

Long time lurker? Second account? Someone trolling/hoping to re-open old arguments?

imnotverygood

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hugor – Member

I’d hate to be a LBS or tour operator in Britain. Sites like this have way too much power and not enough quality control. No wonder the LBS is dying in the uk whilst online retailers with F all responsibility and accountability thrive.

In fairness for every specific “my LBS is crap thread” there must be 10 CRC are rubbish, raped my pet cat then delivered the wrong part threads. If anything LBS’s get an easy ride on here!

I once paid £35 for some shimano brake pads and complained about it on here, the response was that I should continue buying them as if I bought enough stuff they’d start to offer a discount as I was a regular customer, what a discount when they’re chargeing 8x more than discobrakes?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I wont reply to the OP as others have covered it but to hugor;
    After the other thread we were threatened with legal action for defamation, and someone else threatened to complain to my employer (?!). The company owners have a right to reply on any forum, and there are plenty of examples of problems being solved or addressed to the satisfaction of the complaintant and the credit of the supplier.

I’d also say that if owners take part in forums (ie. Free promotion) they accept the consequences. Brant, Richie at silverfish, mike at dialled, Cy at cotic, loco and many others have a fan base on here as they actively engage, take criticism, and respond. Alan at sierra used to be fairly regular on here which is why I was happy posting “that” thread. Alan replied and people judged us both accordingly. I’ve posted more positive reviews than negative which I think is consistent with forums generally so on the whole Service suppliers benefit. Forums make suppliers accountable more than they do empower unjustified grievances.

Dobbo

hugor
    Free Member

Opinions are obviously subjective. I read the original Sierra thread too and before someone accuses me of anything I am not associated with the cycling retail industry in any way. As opposed to other online retailers like eBay/ amazon etc this place does not have a formal rating or voting system. One voice is extremely powerful. I recall your thread but I don’t know if your bad experience is the exception or rule. I’m not in any way suggesting that your account was inaccurate but perhaps various mitigating circumstances resulted in your bad experience. I haven’t read the thread recently but this was the message that I got when Alan eventually replied. I recall that some of his responses weren’t the best but he’s in a highly competitive industry and his livelihood depends on sites like this so he would have been pretty stressed.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

We live in a world where Human Rights rule (freedom of speech etc) we are entitled to opinions and in posting our own experiences and reviews on a public forum. If you don’t want a response/someone else’s opinion then don’t bother posting. Either way Drwato, glad you enjoyed your holiday.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Hugor, can’t say I disagree with your last post too much, only from personal experience the vast majority of my reviews are positive (see Kerala thread) and that’s my observation. Whilst “that” thread still sits high in google the thread itself contains a mix of positive and negative reviews, and the reader can make their own mind up (some thought our complaints trivial).

The review cat is long out of the internet bag and its now how suppliers manage it and respond. Trip advisor is allegedly full of self testimonials and people sniping each others businesses but its still a source of information.

The old thread was locked when some of the comments about Mary got personal and offensive.

hugor
    Free Member

I haven’t looked back into your other reviews but I’ve read what I think we’re undeserved negative appraisals of my LBS on this site and it seemed everybody got on the bandwagon. Perhaps I’m nieve but I actually thought the OP was legitimate and I would have given Sierra another go. The excessive nature of it seemed logical to me as an act of retribution and overcompensation for their previous sins.

The only reason I posted was because the overwhelming number of responses were suggesting an inside job, but as far removed as it might be to some, it might actually be that someone had had a good service from them and if so Sierra should be commended for sorting themselves out.

imnotverygood

I don’t think it is an inside job. Bu I do think it is an incredibly clumsy attempt to refute a thread in which someone posted a negative review. All the OP had to say was ” I know that some people had a bad time with this company, but I went with them and it was great.” The tone of the first post and the subsequent OTT response comes across as a bit too tendentious (to put it mildly.)

Mark

There’s too many keyword placements in that for me to think there’s not something very dodgy going on. Type ‘Sierra Cycling Review’ into google already and this thread has knocked the previous thread off top spot. But the discussion has progressed to cover the general topic of user reviews and as such it has it’s own value now. So, luckily for SC this thread stays, for now.

footflaps

Very generous of you Mark. I’d delete the thread for blatant advertising. If they resort to under hand means they don’t deserve any custom, let alone free advertising.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

To me – this is a good example of shooting yourself in the foot.

I cant believe that this whole post hasnt been removed as spam?

Having followed the original 10? page post – how is this allowed as non-spam?

Sadly OP – you come across as an extremist. Marketing doesnt seem to work like that in the 21st century.

drwato
    Free Member

No I’ve never done PR but maybe it’s a career I should pursue… My review is probably a little biased as I had a great time… It’s also amateur as I’m no professional just an average schmo like most other people who book a biking holiday hoping to have a good time. I wasn’t there so cant comment on the other guy’s bad experience and I’m not going to pay it any air time as I think it’s probably had way too much anyway.

At the end of the day I’m not the one on here slagging people off at the detriment to their lively hood and name dropping other companies – which sounds very suspect to me?

In April this year I used an alleged leading UK outfit for a holiday to Africa and paid twice the amount for allegedly “some of the best single track in the world”. From my experience the guide was smug had a resentful and arrogant attitude and the accommodation was very low rent, damp and dirty. A couple of afternoons were spent climbing a tarmac road and riding a fire roads???… I’ve come back feeling totally ripped off and would not pay them another penny for a holiday or training or whatever else it is they offer!

I used Sierra twice last year and both times I came back thinking – I’ll go back with them again – which is what I’m doing in September. The people who I met where friendly and mostly regulars who go back every year and I can understand why. The atmosphere was laid back and not competitive and the mixture of people I met ranged from relative newcomers to the sport to advanced technical riders – in my opinion.

The riding is good and can be dusty, loose and rocky and very different to the conditions in UK – which took some getting used to. Some of the trails are really technical and feature sections that are off camber, slick rock, with baby heads, switchbacks, compressions, woods and steep mountain sided sections. One trail that featured most of these was Allurin Woods – which we slogged back up twice to do again.

Like I say Allan always puts out a good breaky and makes sure the fridge is stocked. Town is on your doorstep if you want it so you’ve a choice of how to spend your evenings. The guides are spot on and will take you a decent cheap or expensive restaurant, depending on what you want.

I’m happy, I’ve put my money where my mouth is and know where I will spend my next biking holiday…
    😀

drwato
    Free Member

Sorry about the spelling mistakes…

drwato
    Free Member

Sorry for being rude!

walleater

Which holiday companies charge 220 pounds a day for instruction?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Tarmac and fireroad..Yup that’s SC..add in a bit of self guiding whilst guide sits in caff and you are sorted. Glad you enjoyed it though, it would be boring if we all liked the same stuff.

jimification
    Free Member

You don’t, by any chance, write those restaurant reviews in local free newspapers do you? It reads just like one of those.

http://www.framleyexaminer.com/pages/fron011.php

bamboo
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to Alan posting on this thread but forgetting to change his user account back from drwato…..!

Better be careful what I say though, wouldn’t want to end up in court!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 206 total)

The topic ‘Sierra Cycling Holidays Fuengirola Southern Spain’ is closed to new replies.