Viewing 40 posts - 2,361 through 2,400 (of 2,459 total)
  • Sick of the incessant snow updates
  • crazy-legs

Looks like Cumbria is getting hit hard the next 24 hours.

Lots on Twitter at the moment showing heavy snow fall in and around Ambleside.

slowol

@hot_fiat

Skiing was indeed to be had in Weardale today. Thin but frozen and got quite a few runs in. About a dozen or so people there and only snow on the road up for last few hundred metres. More snow coming down as we left. Wait and see if they’re open early in the week.

IMG_20231202_112212_HDR

IMG_20231202_112339_HDR

mert
    Free Member

6-7″ of snow, still bloody freezing, pointless skiing/boarding yet, need a lot more snow first!

Drac

Lots on Twitter at the moment showing heavy snow fall in and around Ambleside.

Yeah I’ve just seen PostieRich’s Facebook post. That’s a lot of snow. 

crazy-legs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cyj29lwyg93o

Ambleside snow.
    There was a rally stage at Grizedale today so I think the traffic situation is much worse because of all the spectators who’d been up in the area.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

There was a rally stage at Grizedale today

Yep although cancelled after the 2nd stage

Snow in Shropshire too at the minute 

CountZero

It was very foggy earlier, which cleared by about 8pm, and now it’s raining. Lovely. 🙁

imnotamused
    Free Member

Well me and Dan Atherton could have done with some more accurate snow updates this weekend to be fair. Me and a mate drove 6hrs down to Dyfi last night, stayed over in a b&b and turned up at Dyfi This morning to be greeted by a stressed out Dan announcing the closure of the bike park due to snow and high winds. Gutted. We turned round and did llandegla instead

bigfoot
    Free Member

near newby bridge and got about 4″ but its still coming down last time i looked. walked to the pub at tea time and A590 was at a standstill heading east, people came in that had taken 2.5 hours to do the normal 25 minutes from barrow. someone else ha been to grizedale for the rally and ended up walking most of the way to the pub to wait for a lift home.
    a mate who went to the rally last i heard he abandended his van and started walking from brockhole to windermere for the train to kendal.

z1ppy

Oh, snow here in the west mids (Shropshire border) 🌨

doom_mountain

I work in Grasmere, had to take the long way back home to windermere (via the A66 and M6) as the road to Ambleside was closed. 70+ mile round trip 😀

I’ve never seen so  much snow in the uk.

bigfoot
    Free Member

I’ve never seen so much snow in the uk.

about the mid nineties, was living in staveley at the time and we had over 2 foot one night. didn’t cause as much chaos though as everyone just got up and thought **** that i’m staying at home.

frankconway

Really?

Northwind

crazy-legs

There was a rally stage at Grizedale today so I think the traffic situation is much worse because of all the spectators who’d been up in the area.

Guess I’ll look forward to rally crash footage on chopito rally then 🙂

dyna-ti

Yummy. Heavy fall of snow yesterday covering Glasgow, temp -2c and forecast to be in the minus for at least 3 days.

Could actually do with some rain, then another drop in temp to turn that to sheet ice. Marvelous 😀

This has been a happy surprise to me, as I was only expecting to see snow and ice around the new year.

rsl1
    Free Member

2-4cm on the side roads in Sheffield now and snowing pretty hard. Looking like waking up to a good covering

crazy-legs

2-4cm on the side roads in Sheffield now and snowing pretty hard.

A light dusting on the other side of the Pennines (couple of centimetres at most here).
    Higher up should have more but it seems to be melting already at this level.

Why is snow in this country so shit?!
    Get to -5, snow like a bastard, stay below freezing. Come on, it’s not difficult.

Actually it’s only because of that rally stage that I wasn’t up in the South Lakes, I really fancied a MTB or gravel ride around there. Checked online just to see forest updates and it said about the rallying. Without that, I’d have driven up there so I suppose it’s a lucky escape!

MoreCashThanDash

A 3-4 centimetres here in the Ilkeston Alps, best snow we’ve in years.

Snow Studs on the gravel bike so I think a pootle to a cafe is called for before it gets shitted up.

doom_mountain

The A591 between Windermere and Ambleside is still closed. Lots more snow overnight.

Windermere is so quiet, no traffic 🙂

mert
    Free Member

Trying to get from Bradford to Huddersfield on the bus in about 1995, driver got to Brighouse and announced that there was no way on this earth or the next that he’d be getting up the Woodhouse hill.
    So we walked, 4 of us IIRC, all the way to Huddersfield, knee deep snow at the top of the hill. M62 was closed and absolutely empty as far as we could see in ether direction. Also saw about 2 dozen crashed/abandoned cars on either side of the hill going up to the M62 and then down the other side.

I didn’t stop snowing until the following afternoon.
    That was a lot of snow.
    Unfortunately i didn’t get paid for the two days i couldn’t get to work.

Drac

Are you still in primary school?

matt_outandabout

I’m guessing you’ve not seen much of the UK further north in a proper winter, or indeed the Pennines near yourself…?

welshfarmer

Just watched the footage of the snow in Ambleside. Really? Is that it? That is just a normal light snowfall here in the hills of Wales and I bet it’s nothing that special in much of the Lakes either. Just first of the year so lets all get excited. Now Munich on the other hand appears to have had a massive dump!

crazy-legs

Just watched the footage of the snow in Ambleside. Really? Is that it?

I think the issue with it was how quickly and heavily it fell yesterday afternoon. 2-3ft in places in <4hrs apparently and with narrow roads all it takes is for a few stranded cars to back everything up, that’ll prevent any ploughs and gritters getting through and the chaos just snowballs (sorry…)

doom_mountain

Drivers had to be rescued from their cars after up to 3ft (36in) of snow fell in parts of the Lake District on Saturday, when the area was busy with day-trippers.

Mike Margeson, a mountain rescuer with more than 40 years’ experience, said his teams worked with police and firefighters to help pull people from their cars overnight.

“It was a very unprecedented rate of snowfall and heavy snow. I don’t remember seeing that amount of depth of snow falling for a very long time,” he said.

From the Guardian article https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/dec/03/snow-leaves-hundreds-of-people-stranded-in-lake-district-overnight

Normal light snowfall… 😀

ratherbeintobago

Sleeting here for the last couple of hours which has dealt with the snow. Assume it’s more snow on higher ground…

bigfoot
    Free Member

my dad lives in staveley, they had about a foot and think windermere was similar

scuttler

about the mid nineties, was living in staveley at the time and we had over 2 foot one night.

I was staying in a place near Wray at the time. Was nuts, it took me a while to walk to Windermere to get the train home. I have a pic of the postbox at Wray with a massive snow cone on top.

lowey

I was in the moho on a site near Staveley and was out on Saturday in it. Started about 9am on Saturday and didnt stop. easily 15″ fell on the site and the access road was stuffed. Stuck there for another night till they could clear the access. Never seen so much snow fall so quick in the UK.

scotroutes

It’s snowing here in Aviemore.

kimbers

bit of a flurry in London atm

andy8442
    Free Member

They’ve had a flurry of snow in the saaarrth, expect the Six o’clock news to lead on the travel chaos.

CountZero

I went along the chippy earlier, and it was just starting to snow a wee bit then. Sodding cold, with a brisk NE wind. Thinking about going down to the Somerset Levels later to see if there’s any Starling action, there were quite a lot of them a week or so back, and the really cold weather in Scandinavia and Eastern Europe, Latvia, Belarus etc might well have a lot more coming here for the milder conditions. Fingers crossed, it’s been a while since I last saw some major murmurations.

matt_outandabout

It’s looking like snow here in Dunblane on Tuesday – -8 overnight and 4cm of snow.

matt_outandabout

It turns out that it’s -11 at outandabout towers….

mert
    Free Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67911371
    Drone footage shows snow blanketing Kent as temperatures plummet across UK

Thinnest blanket i’ve ever seen… More like a sheet.

Been -25 here over the weekend, 30m/s winds and another 40-50 cm of snow, amber alert on the weather forecast. Schools still open, buses still running (but some rural services are delayed).

andy8442
    Free Member

There’s snow on Baildon moor! Just saying.

sharkattack

White stuff coming down in Sheffield city centre right now. As visible here…

https://peregrine.sites.sheffield.ac.uk/

It’s too wet and miserable to lie. I can’t wait for the first proper snow day so I can sneak out to collect Junior from nursery and go sledging.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,361 through 2,400 (of 2,459 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.