Viewing 40 posts - 1,801 through 1,840 (of 2,459 total)
  • Sick of the incessant snow updates
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Harrogate Stray at midday today. I have just measured it at our house (at the top of Otley Road where the World’s circuit went up several times in 2019) and it’s 7.5 inches and still snowing.

matt_outandabout

This lunch walk:

somafunk

Humph….been nothing but glorious all day sunshine yet still freezing for the previous 7days here in kirkcudbright

glenh
    Free Member

@johndoh Just sleet all day over here near Skipton. How unfair!

Northwind

Perfect topup last night for us- ground must be seriously cold, we got maybe 5cm tops where I am but it all just lay perfectly, there’s mad ice snakes all over the road from last night’s tyre treads… And up in the hills all the death-ice is grippy again. Glorious stuff, never usually works out like that- usually you get right into the manky horrible part of the thaw before it tries to snow again and it’s all just really sad and anticlimatic.

Ah snow you are the best I love you snow.

cheese@4p

Poor old OP, did a micro rant that he was sick of incessant snow updates and got 7 years worth of snow updates, so far.

Failedest thread ever!

johndoh
    Free Member

End of day report – still snowing (lightly) but just measured it at 9 inches! Built a snowman and then a sledging ramp on the street outside our house (we might need to put up warning lights for that one) LOL!

Scapegoat

Had about four inches overnight, and then it’s been snowing all day here at Scapegoat Hill. Dog and I ventured up to the top of the moor this afternoon, and were passed by a couple of guys on bikes up by Rocking Stone Quarry, one with a Vitus and a magnificent beard…. anyone on here?

swavis

This afternoons wee splitboard tour up Ben Rinnes. Loads of snow!

scotroutes

I was up at the Cas car park earlier. One side of the ski road has been ploughed and gritted. The other side is now basically a ski run for all the tourers/boarders.

scotroutes

dovebiker

Fab pics Swavis – I was looking through my binoculars to see if I could spot anyone skiing – 3 pairs of skiers plus a dog skinning up from this side. My dogs a bit poorly so wasn’t up for wading through thigh-deep powder

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Envy.
    We had 2-3mm drifts yesterday.

scotroutes

Poor old OP, did a micro rant that he was sick of incessant snow updates and got 7 years worth of snow updates, so far.

Failedest thread ever!

Yeah, I do try to keep it alive in the quieter months as we still have snow when most folk don’t.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Had a bit of snow overnight and sub zero temps all day.
    Gathered up the bairns and went for a slide on the powder covered sheet of ice just behind the Pyramids at J4A on the M8. Insta link below
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CJypbUhB6JZ/?hl=en

chickenman

" alt="" />

I hate the Pentlands, boring, boring, boring. But even I must admit that they were not looking three bad today…

scaredypants

Southern Hants update:

looks like another MASSIVE frost tonight. Roads will be slightly slippy ’til at least dinnertime

brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !

spekkie
    Free Member

Snow has closed several airports here in Spain. Due to reach us tonight I believe . . .

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I made good use of my new Schwalbe studded tyres for a spin around the Loch Leven Heritage Trail today. They were impressively grippy on the ice.

swavis

Fab pics Swavis – I was looking through my binoculars to see if I could spot anyone skiing – 3 pairs of skiers plus a dog skinning up from this side.

Cheers. Aye there was plenty of ski tourers on the hill today. Unfortunately there seemed to be an organised group of about 7 of them, 1 guiding and 6 guests, no distancing at all. No idea how they get away with it and will keep us locked down forever 😕

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

-17 in Biggar last night, oaft, we touched -8, that was cold enough.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@scaredypants Read there was snow up your neck of the woods* yesterday around Stock’s Lane. Did it stick? Any sign of an ice rink up on the Old Winchester / Butser Hill plateau like Xmas 2017?

* Thought you lived near Hants/ West Sussex border for some reason.

scaredypants

Sorry matey – more Romsey way for me. None of your alpine experience like East Meon. Even the frost failed to materialise

jam-bo

Amazing conditions up high on Dartmoor today.

MrOvershoot

Wirral & Liverpool nothing, hardly ever is though 😉

Sandwich

Nice Brocken Spectre there Jambo.

jam-bo

Clearest I’ve ever seen.

scotroutes

Even more snow at lower levels again as the wind has been drifting it off the exposed bits.

No need for the Snow Factory today!

That’s the ski road from the Sugar Bowl car park. Left hand side is now nicely “pisted”

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I’m always jealous of these pics – we had about ten flakes in Cardiff. However, I do like a bit of weather watching. There has been (or is underway) a Sudden Stratospheric Warming event which can lead to a very cold snap, including a Beast from the East pattern, although not always. The following graph is the GEFS ensemble plot for Cardiff. The numbers are the temperature at an altitude where the pressure is 850mbar which would be about 1500m of altitude ish, that’s where the temps are not affected by day or night. When the graph goes below -10, it means it’s a decent cold snap (by UK standards). The lines are individual forecast runs, and where they are close together there is a lot of agreement and hence high confidence. The numbers at the bottom are the numbers of runs that forecast snow (any snow at all) on that day.

I’ve been watching it, and since the SSW the trend has been for the temps to drop towards the end of Jan, and there are more and more runs dipping into the proper cold part of the graph, and the number of runs that forecast snow has been climbing.

Get your location from the links to cities at the bottom of this page: https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twodata/gefs.aspx

scotroutes

We had 6c and rain most of yesterday afternoon/evening which all but cleared the snow on the roads and pavements but its been snowing heavily again for tè past few hours so we’re back to it being white everywhere. There must be an amazing amount on the mountains now.

ElShalimo
    honeybadgerx

Managed some early morning ski tours up the Pentlands – some fantastic poder, sadly all melting now!

PXL-20210109-080818128
    PXL-20210109-083812625-PANO
    PXL-20210109-084153947-EFFECTS
    PXL-20210109-091309033
    PXL-20210109-092748183” alt=”Early pentlands” />
    PXL-20210109-075737584

matt_outandabout

Oh my, that looks nice.

Scapegoat

@elshalimo
    That top pic was about where you passed me (if that was you!)
    The bottom pic, is that from the bottom of the golf course looking up towards Round Ings?

ElShalimo

Were you on a white MTB? I was having a sandwich sat on the wall with my wife

2nd pic – yep spot on!

matt_outandabout

A good layer this morning, perhaps 6-8cm.

Flaperon

More snow. 🙂

Twice in one lifetime here in Knaresborough. Going for a walk to watch people on non-essential journeys crashing their cars slowly and expensively on the A59.

Seems to be a thing that when it snows in the UK half the population develops an uncontrollable urge to get in their cars and drive somewhere.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Can we get some please? The rain was bouncing last night but my relief got snowed in…

…would be awful if he got stuck at work.

BoardinBob

Maybe an inch so far here in the southside of Glasgow and still snowing heavily

johndrummer
    Free Member

Baildon, West Yorkshire 09:10 today:

View post on imgur.com

110m above sea level

Viewing 40 posts - 1,801 through 1,840 (of 2,459 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.