Viewing 40 posts - 1,761 through 1,800 (of 2,459 total)
  • Sick of the incessant snow updates
  • scotroutes

@convert – Rothiemurchus Forest, looking at Lurchers Crag (so Lairig Ghru to the right).

Aye, balling up is a problem with the current snow. I’ve always used flats on the fatbike but it can still happen. The obvious answer is not to take feet off the pedals but sometimes need must.

jeffl

Bit of snow here in Chesterfield. Not deep but had settled for the time being.

kayak23

Little smattering here in Warwick this morning. It’s turned to that wet rain now though 😐

matt_outandabout

A good covering of dusty powder in the Ochil’s at dawn this morning.

crazy-legs

Fair chunk overnight and early morning around Hayfield which is starting to melt quickly.

However the little back roads up to Kinder Reservoir and around Birch Vale are incredibly treacherous and every moron in a pseudo 4×4 is now stuck.

The standard entertainment of watching the Great British Public attempting to drive in the snow.

rOcKeTdOg

Little smattering here in Warwick this morning. It’s turned to that wet rain now though

the only snow in Warwick this morning was on the roof of the van that came with me from home.

dovebiker

We’ve had on and off snow since the 23rd – couple of inches / rain thaw / repeat – road was ungritted / an ice rink for a few days so couldn’t even get the car out. Due some more again overnight.

Ben Rinnes

NZCol

Was nice in the Pentlands this morning. Small rant – all you flipping trail runners and walkers – take some gear with you. I stopped to help a runner who had slipped and done his ankle. There was 11 people there – not one had a turkey bag or a spare set of layers. I know it’s within sight of town but if it takes you 2 hours to be scooped up (as it did someone later this afternoon) you’ll be hypothermic or dead. I gave him my spare layers, wrapped him up in a bag and he was helped down by his group, well actually 2 of his group as the rest buggered off once they realised they were all cold (Shorts today – really?). That’s the 4th time I’ve had to render aid since April and on only one other occasion did someone have either a first aid kit or a emergency bag. It’s a worry. End of rant, no swearing and nonCaPs 😂

ElShalimo

@NZCol – you’re obstructing Darwinism with your Good Samaritan deeds!

😜

NZCol

😂

scotroutes
    NZCol

Ta Scotroutes, pretty much what I would say. Ironically I had a tent, sleeping bag, stove and sleeping mat with me today as well – not that I planned to use them, I am training for something and we will need to carry all that anyway.

singletrackmind

my mate used to go out to tow 4×4 poseuers out of the snowdrifts
    one caveat – they had to have their own tow rope.
    One stuck Evoque owner without a rope demanded he went home to pick his up, as he had gone out in his ego – i am betterer than yao – chariot, in thick snow , wearing his slippers.

Northwind

One of the best snowy days I’ve ever had in the pentlands- not actually that much on the ground really but enough, and all the lockdown crowds mean it’s beautifully pisted. And sure it’s busy, but everyone’s super happy and smiley, just lovely to be out in it.

All capped off with a pretty amazing sunset/full moon combo that was just outright Tatooine, amazing colours and weird shadows. Which was awesome but meant I wasn’t totally paying attention to the sunset and ended up navigating home using moonlight and supersonic sonar radar.

I love snow, it’s just the best, but if I didn’t already think that then today’d have convinced me- I’ve spent thousands of hours in the pentlands probably, but it all felt so fresh and reinvented today. I wish like hell I could go to Glentress or the Golfy or Kinlochleven but, this’ll do.

jam-bo

Pretty boggy and foggy and a bit thin but found some snow right near the top of Devon.

scotroutes

Not long in from a fabulous night ride. Snow conditions are near perfect.

honeybadgerx

Well, I think that’ll be winter over now with a rapid melt predicted across much of the UK. In other words, I’ve just ordered some touring skis – apologies everyone.

jam-bo

More than I expected this morning on Dartmoor. Was great conditions, fluffy snow, no wind. Sun.

when we got back to the car park it was all a bit mental.

scotroutes

We had more snow overnight, which made todays ride very tough for its short distance.

dovebiker

Starting to regret leaving my fat bike in storage…

Glenrinnes

Glenrinnes

As it was fresh snow over a firm base, it was just passable – tomorrow, probably not

matt_outandabout

A fresh 4cm or so here this morning, on top of the hard frozen ice that’s been on the floor all week.
    It’s feeling a little

scotroutes

Properly white, top to bottom

dovebiker

Powder

Perfect powder snow conditions up on my local hill – thigh deep so progress is hard going

breadcrumb

A decent amount has fallen overnight in North Cumbria. Made driving back from night shift interesting. Positive note: I’ve added 70 miles on my range due to driving at 30-40 mph. Negative point: I live up a hill on a country road, my car has no interest in going up said hill. Car is now abandoned.

swavis

A good couple of inches fell last night here in Aberlour so a half day off has been taken for some essential splitboarding up Ben Rinnes this afternoon 😀

jeffl

Well after the BBC forecasting snow last night and all day today the temperature increased overnight and it’s now wet and overcast. No snow today in grey Chesterfield ☹️

matt_outandabout

@swavis

POIDH

😎

Flaperon

Absolutely bucketing it down with snow here in North Yorkshire. Couple of inches in the last hour. Snow tyres went on the car on Tuesday. I have never been so smug.

swavis

@matt_outandabout I’ll make sure I get a few snaps 😀

jam-bo

light dusting on dartmoor this morning.

rOcKeTdOg

Sent my manager a snow angel pic I made to prove it was snowing

PXL_20210108_083134141

BoardinBob

About 3 inches here in the southside of Glasgow

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

you’re not one to overexaggerate, are you? looks about 3 feet in the picture

nickewen
    Free Member

Canny bit of snow in Newcastle. Winter tyres stacked up in shed, car on drive and wife on bus! Oops 😬.

First year in a long time I haven’t bothered. I’m WFH in my cosy little office..

johndoh
    Free Member

A good 6 inches or so in Harrogate right now

birky
    Free Member

Lecht, Glenshee and Cairn O’Mount roads were all closed this morning
    http://www.snowgatecameras.co.uk

johndrummer
    Free Member

It’s been snowing pretty much since 9am in Baildon. Not really settling though.

timbog160

Fair dollop in Huddersfield at moment – settling well too!

dovebiker

Swavis, Awesome powder up there but I can’t see your tracks on Ben Rinnes – there’s a big chunk of wind slab on the east side – be careful.
    Dog decided to start wee-ing blood at 4pm so had to make a quick visit to the vet in Aberlour which is 6 miles direct or 12 miles on bigger roads. About 4 inches of snow fell in 2 hours which made the drive back fun/interesting as there was plenty of sideways action.
    Had 2 Typhoons from Lossiemouth fly down the Glen at tree height when walking the dogs – 😎

StuE
    Free Member

Started snowing at 9.00 in my bit of Leeds and still coming down

Viewing 40 posts - 1,761 through 1,800 (of 2,459 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.