Viewing 40 posts - 1,841 through 1,880 (of 2,459 total)
  • Sick of the incessant snow updates
  • Superficial
    Free Member

Seems to be a thing that when it snows in the UK half the population develops an uncontrollable urge to get in their cars and drive somewhere.

I will admit I do love going for a drive in the snow. You’re warm and cocooned whilst the weather goes nuts against the windscreen, and controlling mini slides* is good fun. Plus, I get to laugh at the people getting stuck, and pat myself on the back for getting winter tyres.

* Away from other traffic, people, obstacles, obviously. At 5mph 🙂

It’s snowing pretty heavily right now in Sheffield. I hope this means I can find somewhere to snowboard.

jeffl

Just starting to snow in Chesterfield. However the ground is wet from all the rain so I’d be surprised if it sticks.

sharkattack

Just walked to work in Sheffield and it’s coming down heavy. The roads near home haven’t been cleared so there was plenty of cars slithering around. Pretty impressive considering the city centre usually just gets freezing sleet.

Seems to be a thing that when it snows in the UK half the population develops an uncontrollable urge to get in their cars and drive somewhere.

I also get this. I won’t drive anywhere I’ll just spend all day on ebay looking at Subaru’s until it’s all melted.

BoardinBob

There are a couple of roads nearby that would be steep enough to be a black graded ski run, and local facebook pages are full of people shocked that they’ve crashed their car on it today

dannybgoode

Snowing hard here in North Sheffield too. Glad I’ve got the all season tyres fitted (front and back now) as Mrs D may need my car to get to work tonight.

sobriety
    Free Member

Snowing in Nottingham as well now, I’ll be very surprised if it sticks though.

FB-ATB

I will admit I do love going for a drive in the snow

I like driving when its snowing at night- it’s like flying in Star Wars hyperspace

MoreCashThanDash

Rain a little sleety in between Nottingham and Derby

bearnecessities

There’s a frog in there.

johndoh
    Free Member

About four inches in my part of Harrogate again – we got nine inches last week so let’s see if that record is beaten. At the moment it is coming down quite hard so I think it could be close.

And the roads were a nightmare this morning – 2WD cars getting stuck on flat bits of road even!

sharkattack

Traffic chaos in Sheffield. The view from my office is hilarious and alarming in equal measure. Already seen a few shunts.

jag61

Still coming down onto about 2inch lying but lighter in Wakefield daughter got sent home from work mid morning that was a long phone call talking her in…😆😆she did well in snow for first time

eddiebaby
    Free Member

halifaxpete

Roads were chaos yesterday, Got the van stuck on the way to work so left it and had a snow day 🙂 Had another today because who wants to start a new job on a Friday?

Better to walk in than ride in TBH, beautiful stuff but sod all grip.

ElShalimo

@halifaxpete – is that up on Norland?

halifaxpete

@Elshalimo Yeah Scholes Lane, one of my usual routes. Gave up trying to get to trig point as it was hard going on the moor, plus getting very wet! Today was a better riding day TBH

ElShalimo

It’ll be very moist up there now!

zippykona

They said there’d be snow in Epsom……
    There wasn’t.

olddonald

Lovely ride round Oakwell hall last night in the snow – no one about – Managed a good 90 minutes doing repeats of blue before the paranoia of werewolves got to me – I mean where are you going to find a silver bullet in oakwell at 6.30 on a friday night….

sprootlet
    Free Member

Woke up to a light dusting of snow in Brentwood, Essex. Great !
    Now turned to sleet, not so great 🙁

scotroutes

Christophe seems to have arrived early. We’ve a significant snowfall already and more forecast over the next 24 hours or so.

Northwind

Was gorgeous last night (sneaked out with the RC car for some Epic Skidz). Today, all is slush. Looks lovely but bloody ridiculously hard work on the bike. Hoping tonight’s forecast is right and we get a proper massive dump but the temps are a wee bit high

johnw1984
    Free Member

Weird weather. Been hammering down with rain here for about 2 days non-stop, just looked out of the window a couple of hours after walking home in the rain, now everywhere is white!

nickewen
    Free Member

Aye very weird weather in Newcastle too. Was peeing doon with rain a few hours ago when I walked home from picking the bairn up and now it’s like a winter wonderland oot there! Meant to get heavier in the wee hours too. I LOVE snow me. Can’t get anything done when it’s snowing!

Drac

Slight dusting here enough to bring the south to a halt.

Northwind

Not confident it’s going to last til I can get out tomorrow so a bit of a midnight snow walk/rock crawl/epic doughnut session in lovely crisp fresh snaw

funkmasterp

Snowed loads overnight here in Macclesfield but it’s pretty thin on the ground now. Wish it would snow properly and stick. The best thing about driving when heavy snow is coming down is putting your full beam on and accelerating so it feels like you’re piloting a ship through hyperspace. I love snow

toby1

epic doughnut session in lovely crisp fresh snaw

Hooligan driver alert 😉

honeybadgerx

No as much as I was expecting here this morning, though on top of yesterday’s it does mean there’s a fair whack now. Had hoped to get another quick ski in before work this morning, but with the wind it would have been a bit grim in low visibility! Fingers crossed for clearer conditions in the morning.

bruneep

Hooligan driver alert

I mean look at the snow covering the windscreen, how can he even see out. Disgraceful

himupstairs

A wee avalanche on the south side of the Pentlands. Yikes!

avalanche

https://www.facebook.com/TVMRT/

matt_outandabout

By heck.

honeybadgerx

@himupstairs – yup, just been for a very quick ski up in the more southern Pentlands and there’s some hefty slab developed. I think with the wet weather and warm temperatures beforehand the underneath of the snow pack hasn’t really bonded/has melted upwards a bit.

Definitely best to pick your lines – as always!

fettlin

I guess this thread will be a hot topic today! Fair bit on herefordshire/Worcestershire border this morning and still coming down hard.
    Might take a pic when I can be bothered to get up!

nickjb
    Free Member

First snow for ages here in Bristol. Not enough to have fun in but it is pretty

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Woken up by a single clap of what may well have been thundersnow at ~0630 in Southampton, but we’ve since has some rain that melted the thin layer of snow, reckon it’s got good potential for Bambi on ice out there now.

MoreCashThanDash

No snow here yet just north of Derby. Had a light covering yesterday morning that went mid afternoon.

Last night was Derbyshire Scouts Chilly Camp. Hoping the frost goes off his tent so we can take it down today, but may well snow before then if the forecast is right.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A solid foot on the summit plateau of the local mountain yesterday, glorious.

IMG_20210123_152144562

kayak23

Snowing in Warwickshire

Viewing 40 posts - 1,841 through 1,880 (of 2,459 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.