Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shoulder protection
  • DirtyLyle
    Free Member

I’m currently off the bike until at least end of November following a stupid crash at Stanmer. I’ve broken the clavicle and across the shoulder joint and f-ing up the rotator cuff.

I am SUPER keen to avoid hurting it again when I’m back on the bike, has anyone had any experience of any of the shoulder padding or braces that are out there just now?  The Leatt one looks good, but pricey.

Cheers!

nickdavies

I’d be avoiding anything too extreme, maybe a foam chest and shoulder protector would be a good bet, Troy lee do a good one. Hard padding might do as much damage as good in a crash in your current condition.

Or what about rugby shoulder pads?

geex
    Free Member

Kanye n L’il pump got this covered

Probz NSFW

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

661 Subgear vests have shoulder protection – I bust my collar bone and have hit a few things with one of these vests and it works well. Not sure the chest padding has much function other than make you hot so I cut mine out.

Otherwise for more heavy duty and hotter :

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/661-evo-compression-jacket-long-sleeve-2018/rp-prod129497

or

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/661-evo-compression-jacket-short-sleeve-2018/rp-prod129499

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Really useful, thanks!  Do the compression tops add any stability?

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Doing the physio is about the only thing that will regain your stability.

I did a hefty separation job on mine in June and with a big of exercise it is perfectly strong.

I don’t fancy falling on it again but there is no padding that will stop a separation when you consider the forces involved to do it in the first place.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

having seporated my shoulder a couple of times I always ride with shoulder pads. G-form do a lightweight top with shoulder and rib protection which I use for everyday riding. Looks like it would provide very little protection, but it’s there version of d3o which gardens on impact. Having crash tested it hard landing on my bad shoulder I was seriously impressed with the protection it provide. I also have a evoc enduro shirt (similar thing just bigger pads) for uplift days or the alps which also works great

stevomcd
    Free Member

Honest opinion is that there’s no padding which will protect against shoulder injuries, except maybe the “i’ve just hit my collar-bone directly on a tree” type.

Taping or bracing are more likely to help but, as above, it’s all about the physio / rehab.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi there

Iv had a similar injury that healed reasonably well but a year or so later I fell off th bike awkwardly and damaged some the muscle and tendons. This is as a far worse injury than the break. It started to ache a lot and I couldn’t pull back on the bars to lift the wheel.

I ended up with steroid injection into the joint and a fair bit of physio.

And regular yoga. This for me is the difference between these old injuries continuing to trouble me and keeping enough strength and mobility to keep the joint functioning properly.

Iv never tried to pad against another shoulder injury but I think strength and stretching are essential to aid recovery.

Good luck with yours.

Kuco

I had a big crash and unfortunately the bone didn’t break so everything else moved around the bone causing a lot of damage. 9 years on after surgery I have to keep on top of it with physio and exercises else it causes a lot of jip, tight back muscles on that side and also neck pain if I don’t do anything. Still don’t wear protection but as others say keep on top of the physio/exercises and it keeps it in control.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Really good information, much appreciated, thanks all!

nwmlarge
    Free Member

As an interim you might find it useful to have the shoulder supported using K-tape.

If you buy some don’t get the stuff off of ebay, go to boots and buy decent stuff, it sticks longer and maintains its elasticity.

If you don’t already see a private physio or osteo then I would consider that, you can pick them up and drop them when you like and they will give more than often the NHS physio’s are willing to commit to.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shoulder protection’ is closed to new replies.