Home Forums Bike Forum Shimano (US) Ultegra & Dura Ace crank recall

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Shimano (US) Ultegra & Dura Ace crank recall
  • davosaurusrex

Anyone hear anything further on this? Mine failed inspection at the LBS weeks back, they have gone to Madison for further inspection but no word since. LBS also says Madison don’t have any of the 12 speed cranksets with 11 speed rings in any case. Considering how many years this has been known about and therefore should have been prepared for it’s being pretty shoddily dealt with IMO. I have requested a 12 speed Ultegra chainset as a replacement as that’s what my new bike has and presumably they have stock, no word though.

Below is from Gov.uk recall notice;

“Hazard
    The product presents a risk of injuries as it has been identified that the outer cover of the crank arm may start to separate from the main crank arm body, posing potential fall and injury hazards to consumers.

The affected products do not meet the requirements of the General Product Safety Regulations 2005.

Corrective action
    Modification programme.

Shimano Europe has established an inspection and replacement programme. If a crank arm fails inspection, Shimano Europe will provide a replacement of equal or greater value than the previous crank arm, at Shimano Europe’s sole expense.”

Highlighted statement makes me wonder how they can get away with not just doing a blanket recall, without inspections. I guess “affected” is the key word. Reflects really badly on a company the size of Shimano, IMO

Andy

Last update I saw was a class action lawsuit has started in the US https://www.bikeradar.com/news/shimano-crankset-class-action-lawsuit/

This is going to take time to play out and I think will eventually lead to a full recall. Just needs an unfortunate rider to have cranks pass inspection only to then fail and cause injury

escrs
    Free Member

Anyone had any updates from their LBS or Madison?

The shop im using seem to be terrible at answering their phone and Madison wont give me any info without a reference number which the shop havent given me

The shop is a 30 mile round trip and only open weekdays when im at work so i dont want to have to drive there in rush hour just before they close to find out there is no update from Madison yet

Need to know if Madison will have the replacement crank in the next couple of months as i need to sell the bike the crank came off to help pay for my new one! (already looking at buying a 2nd hand Ultegra cranks that are not in the recall)

So has anyone heard from their LBS or Madison on when replacements will be availible?

MoreCashThanDash

Subject of some discussion on our club chat the other day – one guy is waiting for two new chainsets and it’s gone quiet.

Mine is one of the at risk chainsers but passed inspection.

jwildcard
    Free Member

Sounds a big mess. It’s not ideal either putting non matching series rings and chainsets on your original series 6800 bike. I haven’t even booked my chainset in as it still looks fine. Have to wait and see if there is any change in policy but if you are in limbo it sounds like they are unprepared for the demand needed. The scaremongering from those unaffected will no doubt have driven demand for changing also. It’s a very strange situation considering how long these were in production. It was a long long time and 2.7 million odd wasn’t it? 

escrs
    Free Member

I haven’t even booked my chainset in as it still looks fine

Mine looked fine until i took them off the bike and removed the chainrings and looked closely, i then clearly saw they were debonding around where the chainring bolted to the arm

jwildcard
    Free Member

Yes I have heard some are hard to spot for the signs of debonding and being close to potential failure. Is the uptake for this recall high, I understand it’s voluntary if there looks to be an issue which once again is not clear cut.

I’ll give it a proper inspection before using again. You mention chainring removal also, is that to see the join behind, it is difficult while it’s still on I remember when trying to inspect mine. I am not happy with the recall situation like many others as its a bit of a halfway house. They may pass an inspection then in a few months deteriorate. I watched a few of the videos regarding  how to inspect them. I don’t think this is the end of it regards the warranty situation. There is a lawsuit out and possibly things may change yet again based on the outcome of things. I have lost confidence in the product to be honest a little bit.

escrs
    Free Member

So this is what ive been told by the bike shop i took my cranks to

If you have some of the affected cranks but they do not show any signs of debonding then still take them to be inspected, if the shop are not sure then they will pass them onto Madison for inspection, if the shop deem them ok then they are ok to use, if they become creaky then you should have them inspected, also they should be inspected once a year

If in the future they do start to debond (say in 2-3 years time) then they will still be replaced, there is no time limit on when they will stop replacing them, this could all change of course

Here’s a couple of pics of mine, i couldnt really see anything at first but once the chainrings were removed and i took pics using a flash it became clear they were debonding

379668186_3249726625326443_9126438880422369514_n(1)

385482559_3461217470806244_6544728258173935698_n

whatgoesup

@escrs – Thank you, that is really helpful. I’ve got some Ultegra 6800s that look OK based on a “still fitted to the bike” inspection but I’m of course a bit doubtful – I’ll whip them off and take a look. It’s the “summer” bike so I’ve got plenty of time!

jwildcard
    Free Member

Yes, cheers for the info. I am in the same boat with the crank being on a summer bike so not an urgent concern but I will get them checked out before using. I can see from the pics how easy it would be to miss with a look from a distance in the wrong light. Good that you spotted this an hope the new crank soon. There are lot of 105 compact cranks new around cheap I have noticed but I bet you want to keep it matching, I had considered a 105 but they are black and the ultegra are grey also. The newer ultegra looks very similar to the 105 infact but with the grey finish. The only way as you mentioned to properly inspect judging by those images is to remove the chainrings as you mentioned which I haven’t done as yet (the bike is moth balled currently)

minley1
    Free Member

Took mine to my LBS beginning of October, they did the inspection (the first one they had had in), it failed (DA9000) so was sent to madison, by the 16th October I had a brand new DA9100 chain set installed. Mine was the 1st the LBS had seen, so obviously got in before the rush, so worked well for me. Unfortunately on the first ride out I was knocked off by a car, so never really got to use it😀

niel11
    Free Member

I got mine back about 2/3 weeks ago. I only had the drive side arm (Which was the one that failed) as I sold the non-drive side when I replaced the failed arm. I got a brand new crankset with chainrings which I’m pretty pleased with, perfect excuse to buy a new frame to put it on now!

vlad_the_invader

Anyone know what Shimano are doing if the cranks have a power meter fitted?

I’ve got a two-sided Giant power meter on my Ultegra 8000 series which is part of the affected batch (though I haven’t seen any signs of debonding on mine…)

davosaurusrex

Mine failed shop inspection about 2 months ago and were returned to Madison. Not a dicky bird since. Will chase the shop tomorrow but not impressed. 

Klunk
    Free Member

still waiting on mine, taken to LBS early October.

escrs
    Free Member

So the shop i took my crank to finally got back to me today and they said Madison are sending the replacement crank out today so it should be with the shop tomorrow

A quick Google and i found this https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzceKygg1QI/ so im guessing this is what ill receive

Hopefully ill find the time to collect it this week and ill post up a pic of it

jwildcard
    Free Member

I’ve just took my chainset off and removed the chainrings after seeing the pics on here over the weekend as they looked very bad. Mine looks to have no issues like that at all. All the joints look perfect still and all in order. I’m cleaning it down while it’s off and will check the examination vids again but it looks unlikely it is worth me booking this in as it still looks fine so would not fail an inspection. 

escrs
    Free Member

Update

Got a email from the shop im using saying they have a brand new crank here waiting for me

Get to the shop and they explain why its taken so long and that Madison dont have any of the special 12 speed cranks fitted with 11 speed chainrings yet

He says he has complanied to Madison that this is getting a bit of a joke and the customer wants a replacement crank so he can use his bike (i was happy to wait a bit longer)

He then proceeds to hand me a Ultegra box containing a brand new Ultegra R8000 11 speed crankset

A quick inspection and the production code does not match any of the ones listed on Shimano’s website so it was manufactured after 2019 and thus isnt affected by the recall

davosaurusrex

Prompted me to phone the LBS and they said Madison have sent a replacement chainset to them, he didn’t know what it was but I’m guessing it will be R8000 11 speed based on post above. @escrs – did you get a chainset complete with rings?

I had asked for a new 12s chainset, very much doubt I’ll get one.

DrP

Dave – where did you take yours? I think i have these cranks, so would want to take somewhere local..

DrP

davosaurusrex

SouthDowns, Broadwater branch. Tim was dealing with Madison

DrP

cool, ta muchly…

DrP

escrs
    Free Member

@davosaurusrex

complete R8000 chain set including rings, brand new in a retail box

Klunk
    Free Member

got an email saying my replacement will be in next week.

davosaurusrex

I got a set of the Ultegra RC-08 12 speed cranks with supposed 11 speed rings. As my new bike is 12 speed and wanting it all to work exactly as it should I ordered a set of brand new 12 speed rings taken off a new bike. I’d put money on the 11 speed and 12 speed rings being exactly the same, they are physically identical. I only have a cheap set of  digital verniers but can’t measure any width difference either. I suspect Shimano have done this to save a few quid and because they can’t admit that the rings are cross compatible between different speed groupset, because Shimano.

Annoying that I’ve bought new rings for no reason as far as I can tell

jwildcard
    Free Member

With 10 & 11 many were using the both and I remember the tiagra 4700 was recommended by many on a 9 speed set up. I haven’t used the 12 speed kit yet, I’m still pretty happy with the 11 speed set up. Is it a slightly thinner chain again. I always find my 8 speed chain lasts a lot longer than the thinner higher speed versions like 10/11. 9 is also good.

I stripped my ultegra chainset down and decided against taking it in as it looks fine, will keep an eye on it once I start using again that is.

sillyoldman

@davosaurusrex Even according to 3rd party ring makers, the 11 and 12 speed rings differ.

if they were looking to save cash, they’d send you a 12 spd ring equipped chainset as that wouldn’t necessitate a new SKU.

@jwildcard
    – independent tests suggest that the thinner chains for higher sprocket count cassettes from both Shimano and Sram last longer than the ticker, lower sprocket count versions.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/4-key-facts-from-the-cycling-tips-ultimate-chain-test.html

davosaurusrex

They wouldn’t though, this is a warranty replacement so therefore has to be like for like in terms of compatibility. Mine were 6800 11 speed, despite asking the LBS to request a new 12 speed chainset from Madison, I got the hybrid warranty replacement 

sillyoldman

That’s kinda my point. They have no obligation to change their offer as your needs have changed, and replaced with the chainset they produced specifically for that purpose – undoubtedly at higher cost than giving you an already developed option (which would ironically suit your new needs better).

Hopefully in time you can sell the 11 spd rings to offset the cost of your 12 spd rings.

jwildcard
    Free Member

I can believe the shimano and sram ranges last 5 mins in 8 speed on their mid range. I switched to kmc x8 and its lasted far better like twice as long, an 8 speed shimano lasted a few months then was stretched beyond as was a standard kmc 8, the x version was fantastic. My 11 spd 105 was corroded after about 3 rides the other winter, very disappointed with the shimano metals. Same with the brake calipers, a handful of rides and one of the caliper bolts had dissolved on 105. Used a 5500 series caliper for about 8 years and no sign of corrosion. There’s no doubt the metals are inferior now. As for this chainset, mine still looks new although it’s only done about 3000 miles on dry clean weather.

spxxky

IMG20220903172952

rhinofive

I reckon theres a fair chance that qualifies for a replacement……

davosaurusrex

@sillyoldman agreed that they are under no obligation to offer a 12 speed alternative, I just thought there was no harm in asking. And yes no doubt there are differences between the older 11 speed groupset rings and the newer 12 speed, the designs have changed. What I’m saying is that I don’t believe Shimano have produced new 11 speed rings to fit 12 speed cranks, I think they’ve just re-stamped the 12 speed cranks and rings 

sillyoldman

My understanding is that they’ve made 11 spd rings to suit the current generation (12 spd) cranks. The specific 11 spd rings will be available aftermarket too.

They don’t just stamp them by the way.

davosaurusrex

That is how it’s been sold, yes. However, I have both brand new sets of rings in hand and I don’t believe there is any physical difference between them other than one being marked 11 and the other 12 speed. If there is it can only be in the width. I’d be happy to be proved wrong though.

I’ll see if I can post photos later

sillyoldman

If sceptical you could ask 3rd party brands why their rings differ for 11 spd HG chains and 12spd HG+ chains as you think Shimano are trying to pull the wool over your eyes?

davosaurusrex

I’m just going on what I can physically see in front of me, I just thought others might be interested as I have both sets of rings. I’m not all that interested in continuing this circular conversation to be honest, thanks for your input though. 

AdamT

I thought mine were fine but then saw this on closer inspection.
    broken crank

escrs
    Free Member

Yep they are debonding, if you remove the rings it will more than likely continue around the mounting hole for the rings like my pic in one of my previous replys

sillyoldman

@davosaurusrex fair enough. Accusations of lying without anything beyond “they look the same” seems a bit much – that’s all.

I doubt I can tell the difference visually between 7/8/9/10/11/12 spd rings but that means nothing either.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.