Home Forums Bike Forum Screwfix No Nonsense Degreaser – Changed Formulation?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Screwfix No Nonsense Degreaser – Changed Formulation?
  • smiffy

I just picked up this year’s supply of NN Degreaser and I see the hazard symbols are changed and it warns of containing caustic soda. It looks a different colour, too.

Is it no longer aluminium-friendly?

fossy

Certainly changed colour. Works just the same. I’ve used it diluted to clean my cassette, and alloy rims, but that’s it. Tend not to get it that near a bike – usually for ‘oil spils’, general cleaning, and chain/cassette cleaning.

fossy

Main substances

Hazardous substances: sodium hydroxide
    Isotridecanol, ethoxylated

tillydog
    Free Member

Yes, I believe it changed earlier this year, used to be phosphate based now it’s caustic.

I would exercise caution using it on aluminium.

fossy

You could always use the ZEP degreaser but it’s £17.99 – still good value and doesn’t contain caustic soda. I’ve used it when there was no stock of the ‘old’ no-nonsence and it seems OK.

Must say the current stuff cleaned up two cassettes with just brushing it on with a paint brush, agitating, then rinsing. For a thorough clean I’d usually remove the cassette to protect the bearing grease in the hub/freehub.

joefm

elbow grease for a couple of quid and water usually does the trick and it’s safe

niel11
    Free Member

I’ve started using paraffin instead on the no-nonsense degreaser and I find it’s much better at cleaning chains and cassettes. I pour it in an old milk carton after being used, all the old oil and dirt settles and I re-use the same paraffin multiple times.

The only negative is the smell but I wear rubber gloves which doesn’t make it so bad!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.