Home Forums Chat Forum saying grace…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • saying grace…
  • alpin
    Free Member

prehaps some food for thought before your sunday lunch…

do people still say grace before setting their chops around their grub?

i only ask as here in germany it still seems to be a big thing.

last week i was away with the GF and her mates. 7/10 wanted to say grace.

stayed with a family before christmas and the same thing again.

i joined in with the family as didn’t want to make a scene infront of the kids but amongst the GF’s friends i refused, along with GF. thought it a bit odd, too, that they were blessing the food i’d just cooked. none of them died though.

seems that here in germany you can’t easliy discuss (read slag off) religion with out upsetting anyone in the room.

grace, do you?

J (the heathen)

Zedsdead
    Free Member

food is for eating. That’s all.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

a couple of my american friends say it at dinner. if i’m there, i just shut up for the 20 secs it takes, and show some respect. i don’t put my hands together, or say amen etc. but i also don’t start eating, or look around, chat or anything else.

doesn’t harm me, even though i’m a ‘devout’ athiest.

i’m just happy to be having a free dinner!!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I can’t remember the last time I was anywhere that did. However, as above, if people around are doing it, I can manage to not eat/shut up for the moment it takes.

Worst nightmare? Being a visitor somewhere and being given the "honour" of saying grace. I wouldn’t know what to do and I think I would politely decline as I don’t really wnt to be that hypocritical.

druidh
    Free Member

I don’t understand why you would "refuse"? Do you mean that they wanted you to say it? If so, then fair do’s. If it’s just a question of being quiet for a few seconds and respecting other folks beliefs then I can’t see the harm.

salsaboy

We hold hands over the table and the little one says

"thank you for my dad, thank you for my mum, thank you for the food thats going in my tum"

it was all her idea.

Drac

Nope don’t say it but would never be so rude to refuse I’d dp the same hungry monkey and take a moment of silence. If someone has been kind enough to invite for you a meal it’s nice to be at least have some manners.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘saying grace…’ is closed to new replies.