Home Forums Chat Forum satmap active10 – any good? problems?

• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by TJJ.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • satmap active10 – any good? problems?
  • TJJ
    Free Member

Got some money for Christmas and been looking at spending it on one of these.
    Anyone have any experience using one on a bike and/or walking?

I’ve currently got a Garmin GPS60 which is OK, but loses the signal in trees.

Ta

snaps
    Free Member

Some of the guys HERE have been having problems with them ‘locking up’

BadlyWiredDog

I think it’s very good and I’ve not had locking up issues at all. The initial launch software has a few issues but the upgrades they’ve made have significantly improved things. I’ve been using an Oregon 400 with Garmin’s on-screen OS mapping and, to be honest, for navigation, I prefer the Satmap, which has a much more intuitive interface, a better and more useable screen, the option of a li po rechargeable battery pack, etc. The garmin screen is so small it’s barely useable, it’s really clunky as a stand-alone unit and while all the extras, like the ability to use it as a car satnav, are clever, if I wanted a car satnav, I’d buy one.

Once their online route planning site is working, I think it’ll be hard to beat. It does what I want it to do, does it well and doesn’t have a load of frills.

TJJ
    Free Member

Thanks for responses.
    BWD – How is it in trees. My GPS60 loses signal in fairly light tree cover, e.g. tree lined country lanes when I’m wondering which turn-off to take.

BadlyWiredDog

Sorry, I live in the Peak, we don’t really do trees round here, ditto in the Lakes where I’ve also used it. It basically has pretty much the same receiver as most other top-end GPS units so theoretically should perform in a similar sort of way. The Garmin does seem to acquire the initial signal faster though.

Daffy

I’ll second BWD on this. T’is a very good unit. i’ve had no problems in woodland or with locking up.

andym
    Free Member

It’s a great bit of kit but personally I’ve been resisting because of:-

– lack of desktop software (though may have changed and I know BWD says it’s easy making a route direct onto the gizmo);

– (SFAIK) there’s no way to backup the SD card. I know SD cards rarely fail, but even so;

– (SFAIK) you can only use it in the UK – I do most of my off-road touring abroad so for me that’s a fairly big limitation.

Just my sixpennyworth, just wanted to give you an idea of the potential downsides. Hopefully someone will set the record straight if I’m being unfair or I’m wrong.

Now if they made it possible to run Windows Mobile and Memory Map Navigator, I’d be first in the queue.

moremudplease
    Free Member

got to agrre with last post think the money for the reciever is fair but the price of the mapping cards are way overpriced,for those of us who have shelled out for memory map or garmin topo it seems unfair to have to pay for os mapping software again,think a lot more of these units would have been sold if existing os map stuff could be used on it,this is the only thing that stops me from buying one,at least garminn works with topo or memory map,feel satmap are trying to creat an unfair monopoly here

TJJ
    Free Member

Thanks for comments.
    andym: In the satmap instruction guide [pdf on website], page 46, it says you should make a copy of the map as back up via a card reader and pc, and that you won’t be able to copy from one card to another.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘satmap active10 – any good? problems?’ is closed to new replies.