• This topic has 58 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • sacked office manager…. views.
  • ton

my office manager buys all our stock for the branh
    one of our suppliers was offering a 42” plasma tv at xmas if you bought £5000 worth of gear.
    this is a years supply of the stuff we buy from them.
    anyway the tv turns up and he takes it home
    the other guys in the branch are well pissed at him getting the tv, he has only been with us for 3 month.
    the suppliers must have billed the head office for the stuff last week.
    i gets int work this morning to be greeted with my md/owner who we do not see often
    15 mins later he comes to see me and asks me to get one of the drivers to take the office manager home cos he has sacked him for theft/gross misconduct.

what do you think.
    fair/unfair to sack him.
    who did the plasma belong to seeing as tho it was a freeby.

uplink
    Free Member

TV belongs to the company so gross misconduct IMO

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

did the office manager pay for the goods?

if not then the tv belongs to the company

i don’t think your office manager was very clever

thomthumb
    Free Member

tv belonged to the company; should have been put up at work or raffled or summit. was a freeby he got by spending someone elses money.

druidh
    Free Member

Hmmm. How about this one then…

Your work takes you all over Europe, and your company pays for your flights. Every time you fly, you get Air Miles. At the end of the year, you treat yourself and your wife to a holiday, using the Air Miles you’ve collected…..

Stoner
    Free Member

depends on the written policy on gifts.

Normally they’ll be declareable if in excess of some value threshold say, £25. Id say that it would be up to the company to decide what to do with the TV, not the purchaser of stock.

tails
    Free Member

Whilst it’s not very bright to take the tv home it’s a **** trick to sack someone in this current economy. Should have given the guy a chance to put right his wrong. On the bright side you might be able to nab a promotion 🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

That’s justice.

bumbly1
    Free Member

imho, in both cases, the TV and the airmiles, they belong to the company who paid for the product/flights and is theirs (the companies) to do with as they see fit. As mentioned above, it depends on their gift policy as to how they handle it. In the case of the TV, it looks as if the guys selfish actions could have led to overstocking which could have other implications for the company in the current economic climate.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

its theft. its gross misconduct. Whether its right or wrong, its a sack able offence.
    In this climate, no-one should be doing anything wrong at work, its likely to get you sacked

epicyclo

I’ve sacked people for less. He was dishonest plain and simple.

richtea
    Free Member

Sacking him was a bit harsh! I’d have asked for it back (and given it away to someone at random) or given him the option to buy it…

avdave2

tails surely in these bad times you want jobs to go to decent people. This guy has both defrauded his employer and shown his contempt for those below him. You should be very glad to see the back of a manager whose only agenda was his own self interest and who has proved that he cannot be trusted by those above or below him.

Air miles are a little different. The company can register all its employees on a scheme and collect them or allow individuals to collect them for their own use. I am free to collect them myself and had reached over 500,000 BA miles at one point. Fewer now as I sold some to my boss for £600 last year.

jam-bo

i think he was lucky to get a lift home…

uplink
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that if a TV was offered as an inducement a discount off the invoice could have been secured instead
    The TV wasn’t free, it was part of the order

dave_aber
    Free Member

A manager who thought that a) It was acceptable to order 12 months stock to get a new telly, and b) Thought he’d get away with it – deserves to be sacked for being a fcukwit, never mind the gross misconduct and theft (guilty x2)

druidh
    Free Member

avdave2 – Member

Air miles are a little different. The company can register all its employees on a scheme and collect them or allow individuals to collect them for their own use. I am free to collect them myself and had reached over 500,000 BA miles at one point. Fewer now as I sold some to my boss for £600 last year.

I don’t think it’s any different. What about your fellow workers who don’t get the opportunity to travel as much? Aren’t you “showing contempt” for those folk?

Oh – and did you declare those as a Benefit in Kind and pay tax on them?

uplink
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s any different. What about your fellow workers who don’t get the opportunity to travel as much? Aren’t you “showing contempt” for those folk?

What about all those hotel meals & drink for free then?
    What about the employees who are at home all the time & have to pay for their own?

mrmo
    Free Member

If i was offered a bottle of wine i might not say anything to HR and claim ignorance if i did wrong, but if the gift was a telly i would go to HR and find out where i stood.

Besides the conduct issue, how do the co workers respond when they see managers on the take, doesn’t sit well.

alpin
    Free Member

right decision

househusband

…it’s a **** trick to sack someone in this current economy…

On the contrary; this current economy means all the more reason to toe the line and do all you can to keep your job.

cogglepin

If the Tellys out like those crap power supplies you flog us, it will have gone up in a cloud of smoke by weekend! 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

yep the TV was company property, unless he had been told that he could take it by senior management it would have been theft, that said I’ve received a wide screen TV from work in the past, but I had the savvey to get one for the FD at the same time 😉

jfeb
    Free Member

I’m not condoning it, but a mate of mine who is Head of Operations for a small Hedge Fund does this all the time (buys IT/AV hardware and gets a freebie which he takes home). I don’t think it is right, but it happens.

Top.Dog
    Free Member

What about petrol vouchers received after buying fuel on the company account / fuel card / claiming expenses?

Same as Air Miles, but maybe happens more often to a ‘blue collar’ bunch like yourself 🙂

avdave2

We all travel, all of the time. We are paid no overtime or travel time, even when having to be up at 3am to get to the airport, get no extra allowances for being overseas and a 12 hour working day is average when on site. I’ve had a few all day all night and all day again jobs and yes that’s without overtime. And when I say without overtime I mean without any additional pay whatsoever. So a few air miles really isn’t all that great as compensation. Also the real difference is that we do not choose and book our own flights and therefore only some of them qualify for airmiles. The purchaser and the receiver of the benefits are not the same person. If this guy had gone to his boss and said I,d like to put this order in and get this plasma screen for the staffroom or some such thing then everything would have been fine but the guy has shown that he cannot be trusted to make a decision in the best interest of the company. He clearly made the decision based only on the reward for himself.

Andy

Can remember working for Woolies in their warehouse in Swindon in the early 90’s and pallets of champagne being delivered for the buyers at Christmas.

Wot Dave Aber said. He deserves the sack twice – for theft from his company and co-workers and for being so stupid!

My place so much as a pen and it has to be handed in!

igm

Many companies now have written policies stating whether or not you can keep airmiles, sainsbury’s points etc. Normally they say you can and it is specifically to avoid daft arguments that accepting a TV as a bribe / making off with a TV that belongs to the company (take your choice) is the same as choosing a credit card that gives you airmiles on everything you purchase some of which you might later claim back on expenses.

If I worked for / with this guy and he hadn’t been through the disiplinary procedure (which normally would mean sacking in the first 3 months at our place) I would want to know why.

It’s engenders a culture where bending the rules to just short of breaking point is acceptable otherwise – ask Severn Trent about that one.

Incidentally if it was us the supplier would probably have been black listed too for offering inappropriate inducements.

epicyclo

2 things you can’t teach an employee, 1 – honesty, 2 – intelligence.

Lack of intelligence can be worked around.

Dishonest people can never, ever be trusted and that poisons a business environment.

(BTW I would have sacked the supplier too for offering an inducement to one of my staff to act dishonestly)

Blurboy
    Free Member

This is corruption on both sides IMO..supplier to offer a bribe like a TV and then buyer to accept it. No excuses either way. I would dump the supplier as well. CIPS member.

wors

a guy i used to work with did a cips (charted institute of purchasing & supply) qualification, i think you could have your qualification revoked for receiving goods.

djglover
    Free Member

You’ll probably find that the company have a clear policy of not allowing employees to take these kind of sweetners, I know we do and people, including the MD of one division have been marched off the premises for this on one level or another.

On druids point is totally different I hope, as I use loyalty points and cashback to gain via business travel. But we are expected to pay for it and claim it back on our own credit cards, and therefore at our own risk, so seems like a different kettle of fish.

Nick

What about your fellow workers who don’t get the opportunity to travel as much?

They don’t need compensating then for staying in shite hotels, away from family and either stuck in traffio or cramped in cattle class. The novelty wears off quickly when all you see of a city you’ve never been too before is it’s ring road, in the dark.

geoffj

On druids point is totally different I hope, as I use loyalty points and cashback to gain via business travel. But we are expected to pay for it and claim it back on our own credit cards, and therefore at our own risk, so seems like a different kettle of fish.

Not different at all. Who actually pays for your business travel? What is the risk?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

A mate of mine works for a Uniservity, and is in charge of stores. There are regular incentives to buy extra stuff, but he only buys what they need, as he’s on a strict budget. But now and then, he gets the odd little kickback, if he needs the amount of things that come with a free gift. But it’s never much; a crappy DVD player, printer or something at best (was the offer of a load of bricks, once). Usually more like a batch of detergent or some such thing. He did get an iPod a few years back, so that was a result.

Perk of his position. His bosses know about it, but it’s not an issue. He regularly manages to save them money, so any little extra he gets, as long as it doesn’t cost the Uni extra, is fine (one of the regular perks is loads of free batteries; hardly a 50″ Plasma TV!). He has to declare everything, so as long as there’s no irregularity, everyone’s happy.

He does give stuff away to colleagues, which I think is pretty decent of him (mind, free hair-curling tongs aren’t really his thing!).

In the case Ton describes, the TV does technically belong to the company. I reckon, to avoid trouble and other staff getting pissed off, maybe the company would be good to give the thing to a charity, or a hospital or something. Karma restored.

Usually, though, it’s the bosses who nick all the good stuff.

stevestunts
    Free Member

Pulling tricks like that after three months is asking for the boot, and if he’s on a probationary period it’s probably quite easy for your boss to get rid.

A year’s worth of spend upfront is the kind of thing that could ruin a company, if it’s not been budgeted for. Imagine paying a year’s electricity bill in advance, based on what someone has assumed you might need…?

naokfreek
    Free Member

pretty fekking dumb really….what was he expecting to happen?

zokes
    Free Member

That the employer may not get the money back to you in time to pay it off, thereby you incurring charges and / or interest? That may happen for starters…

You could be mugged, and loose your receipts for meals etc. How do you claim those back?

Lots of things make it a lot riskier than if the company gave you an advance on such things, which most don’t

NZCol

Our old company (that we set up and then sold to a Telco) had no policy as such. Once we’d sold it and were in the 3mth handover period we got this amazingly hilarious gifting policy. Sadly we got a case of really great Central Otago Pinot Noir given to us which the gift-waffe said we had to hand in to be raffled etc etc. What they missed was us swapping the $50 bottles for the $5 bottles in the kitchen (that i suppose technically they owned already as they were company property) – tee hee. Once the smoke cleared we hoovered them all at Friday night drinks 😉
    PC bolax gone wild but yer man who took the TV was on the take IMO.

mboy
    Free Member

I can’t believe that NOBODY has pointed out the bloody obvious here…

Forget the sodding TV, if ANYBODY working for me (sorry, Logistics is my forte) ordered a year’s worth of stuff in one go, particularly if it tied up £5k of my own bloody cashflow, my boot would hit their f**king arse before they knew what to bloody do! As any astute businessman knows, cash is king, and available cash in the bank is the be all and end all. I could potentially understand if this was something like biro’s, or sellotape, but a year’s worth of either of these doesn’t cost £5k unless you’re a VERY large business.

Forget the TV (which incidentally is the company’s, he was rightly sacked FOR DEFINITE), if you’re in purchasing and you fall for the age old tricks of “here, buy a year’s worth, we’ll chuck a freebie in” then you need to be looking for another job anyway if you ask me! That kind of inefficiency, driven by blatant greed obviously (in the knowledge that he was going to get a TV, and keep it for himself), would not have any place in any company that I had any responsibility for.

This is cut and dry, honestly, no 2 ways about it. Even if he gave the TV back, it’s still intent to steal or defraud. Gross Misconduct, not an employment lawyer in the world who would defend his case I’m sure!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘sacked office manager…. views.’ is closed to new replies.