Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Running arround in circles (excercise content)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

decided that as i cant ride my bikes ill take up running for a few months.

went out last night and ran for 10 min, felt fine, 10 more min, felt fine, 10 more min felt fine etc etc, for about an hour. Only managed about 6 miles which seems like nothing, probably because im more used to looking at the computer on the road bike when im knackered and seeing tripple digits.

Anyone else run/jog, whats a good HR to be aiming for, and how long/far do yu have to run to get any benifit. After an hour at about 170-180bpm I was bored shitless, and very sweaty.

Also, does the heart beet faster running than cycling, as your weights not suppourted, which would explain why i wasnt as tired as i should have been if id done the same effort on the bike?

Mackem

You went for a walk then?

surfer
    Free Member

Dont mention heart rate training!

antigee

did you enjoy it?

try runnersworld or blag the running training guide that came with last weeks Sunday Times

if you were up at 170/180 for an hour then you are in serious training territory and you need to balance it with stuff that will give stamina and not make you ache for 3 days or worse give you knee or ankle problems from doing to much too soon
    10 minute miles would be considered slow by club runners though (but not by me)

antigee

but to answer yr other question – yes i find that running ups my HR by 20-30 BPM for the same percieved effort – then again you don’t get cake stops either

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

i run once or twice a week. i don’t really bother with my hr monitor, though when i do use it, my average heart rate is much higher than when i’m riding, although my max heart is almost the same.

i find it much harder than biking, and it gets you really fit but you just need to watch out for the injuries.

try a bit of cross country running, or run with a friend to make it more interesting. i don’t like running on my own, can’t say its much fun!

antigee

feet in the clouds

not a training manual but if you want some inspiration get hold of a copy of this

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

aches and pains this morning were no worse than after a hard ride. Although i think i may have slightly strained a few things as stretching seemed ineffective, flelt like the muscle/tendon wouldnt give, but the same range of motion if that makes sense?

surfer
    Free Member

The definition of a distance runner (Brendan Foster) wake up tired and go to bed exhausted!!!

Most of the soreness will be related to impact and using slightly different muscle groups. 1 hr on your feet is quite a long time. I would suggest varying both the pace and the distance to get the most benefit.

tinsy
    Free Member

Running around in circles is going nowhere… 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Running arround in circles (excercise content)’ is closed to new replies.