Viewing 40 posts - 1,881 through 1,920 (of 4,700 total)
  • Rugby world cup
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Englands world class standoff is where? Back in 2003?

IdleJon

Even if the Scots do win they need a BP to actually go through. How likely is it that Scotland score 4 tries against England? And in the unlikely event that they remember how to score tries, what are the chances of England still being within 7 points at the end and still going through?

It has made me quite cross that Scotland are so poor and the commentary team (and seemingly all of their supporters) are still talking them up. 🙄 Scotland, miracles aside, are out. And believe me, I’d love it to be otherwise.

TandemJeremy – Member

Not a great deal to chose between the teams bar Ashton and Foden IMO – so for Scotland it will all depend on bossing the breakdown and swarming the midfield to stave Ashton and Foden of the ball

See? Delusional. ‘We can beat England if we can stop them from scoring tries’. Fair enough. How are you going to WIN the game?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Even if the Scots do win they need a BP to actually go through. How likely is it that Scotland score 4 tries against England?

Long odds on that 🙂

See? Delusional. ‘We can beat England if we can stop them from scoring tries’. Fair enough. How are you going to WIN the game?

Not quite what I said – how we going to win the game? – by starving the England strike runners of the ball and by bossing the breakdown to force errors / turnovers and penalties.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Am disappointed for the Scotland fans here. This brought back bad memories of 2007 for me.

I am relishing next week’s game now though – Scotland can be confident of getting a few more penalties than they’d expect from England, but they will need tries and without trying to take the piss, they’re struggling to cross the line.

It really does look like England and Argentina will go through from the this group.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Indeed DD 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

England would beat Scotland playing with Flood anyway – he’s a good positional kicker – can see lots of kicks pinging over the FB’s head and keeping Scotland inside their 22.

I am looking forward to it though. Should be a cracker just for what’s at stake.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There’s a thing. I notice no sponsors on the jerseys. RWC rule?

toys19
    Free Member

Englands world class standoff is where? Back in 2003?

You keep saying that TJ, but Wilkinsons record in the Calcutta cup in 2007 was something like 25 points agains scotland? Was 2007 actually in 2003? What are you on about?

And this tackle here in feb 2011 is awesome I don’t see this as being a man stuck in the past?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwqHLTt5etg[/video]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Wilkinson is a great defensive fly half and a great kicker – but has never been able to get the backs running well and now the game has moved on – its as simple as that. You need to get you backs running on to the ball.

England look far more dangerous with Flood – and he is no Dan Carter. For the Scotland / England game I would be delighted if England play Wilko and tindall as the dangerous back 3 will get no decent ball

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

In twitter news, and this one’s especially for TeeJ 😉

@rwcbrianmoore
    Contepomi’s offside – it’s out the moment the scrum half touches the ball with his hand- when viewed in that light it’s marginal not obvious

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Interesting DD

At the time and at full speed I just saw a poor pass and Parks not deep enough.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m only teasing TeeJ. And just because it was your favourite uncle Brian.

FWIW, it was a poor pass. Parkes wasn’t far enough back. Argentina knew what to expect so Parkes was always going to be swarmed. He should have been further back so as to get set onto his right foot. There’s no doubt Dr Phil went to block the right footed kick. Ah well, all academic now.

DenDennis
    Free Member

turned the scot arg game on late, went onto itv+1 instead of looking at result, thriller of a second half, and nail biting finish.
    good to see the try scoring team win, jinking run from the young amorosino. scotland once again brave losers 😀

scotch will no doubt be invigorated for the clash with england, a potential banana skin for the better and bigger nation, especially so if the lack of dynamic running in the backs as described by TJ is present. the ball continually being passed to a standing-still flat back line is a cause of persistent frustration.

toys19
    Free Member

but has never been able to get the backs running well and now the game has moved on – its as simple as that

No body can get our backs running well, so thats a crock. I can’t imagine Parks or Carter doing a better job. The toulon backs run in a legendary fashion, have you seen them?

Englands problem with the backs are twofold – one they expect wilko to do it all and two they don’t play like a team, Tindall personifies this especially. He runs into every contact with only one thing on his mind, that he will crash through and gain personal glory, the offload is an afterthought, thats why his passes are so dreadful, Hape and Banahan are nearly as bad, and I’m reserving judgement on Tuilagi.. The wingers who you would expect to be the glory seekers are morelikely to fire off a decent offload. Ashton especially. And thankfully we have Foden and Ben Youngs. The AB’s run into every breakdown to draw as many men and get the ball off lightning fast, leading the team to inevitable glory. It is as simple as that.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Ref was a ucnt and thats all im saying on the matter.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis

You need to get you backs running on to the ball.

Whats the young outside half for Scotland? He offers no threat and doesnt carry the ball close enough to the defenders to bring his direct running centres into play. He should watch how Priestland attacks the line and gives flat passes to, Priestland unlike Jones also offers a threat so draws defenders onto him thereby giving Roberts more space. Hook stands deeper and looks for the break/missmatch himself so doesnt give Roberts space. Sotland arent helped by having no threat at 9 either, for all his slow passing Phillips does draw defenders onto him.
    Wilkinson is similar to Steven Jones, I also dont argree that the Toulon backs are great. Saw them live against Reading Samoa and whilst he controlled the game and kicked his goals in impressive fashion the backs were little threat and when I watched games from the French league his only attacking option is a miss pass to lovabalova. Mind you the combined skills of Phill Bennett, Jonathan Davis and Dan Carter would struggle in a team that contains Tindall at 12.

toys19
    Free Member

AA have you been on the sauce? I thought Scotland were playing England next? What has the wales backline got to do with it… 😀
    Although the Tindall comment is spot on if you absolutely want to make sure your wings dont get the ball, give it to Tindall.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I do struggle to see why Tindall continues to be picked for England, surely there are better and younger centres available?

anagallis_arvensis

Just pointing out that even a fairly limited player like Priestland does a better job than Jackson who people seem to think is some sort of attacking threat, which he isnt he’s not much better than Parks in this respect despite all his wide passing. At least he can tackle though.

toys19
    Free Member

AA, it’s ok iwas joking, you missed my poorly veiled attempt to accuse you of hideous bias..
    I still think my do it all yourself theory is the answer to englands woes..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

to accuse you of hideous bias..

No accusation needed. It’s plain for all to see. England still my number two team. Scotland – definite top ten. Wales still number 19.

For a_a 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

Scotland were my 3rd, but I may have to drop them..

Pigface
    Free Member

Tindall is just the foundation for the backs and a old head to rely on. Can you imagine the chaos if the likes of Banahan were called on to lead or make an on field decision. I think it shows in the pack as well, as soon as Thompson replaces headless Hartley everything calms down a bit and becomes a bit less frenetic.

Wilko is a limited player TJ but even at his worse he is better than what Scotland have to offer.

Will they sack Growler after next weekend?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Growler

😕

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Next week should be fun then, i just have to resist baiting TJ for a week! 🙂
    Actually, this result could be bad for England as the Scots will be even more up for the game. Whether this will result in a more focused Scots team or one that will try too hard and fall apart i don’t know…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Do Scotland have to get a bonus point win to go through?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis
    Jackson who people seem to think is some sort of attacking threat, which he isnt he’s not much better than Parks in this respect despite all his wide passing. At least he can tackle though.

Its comparative – Jackson is the best we have had for a long time tho there are two youngsters coming thru who might be better – Maybe they should have been here – Laidlaw and Weir

Wilko is a limited player TJ but even at his worse he is better than what Scotland have to offer.

Maybe – I think I prefer Jackson but there is not much in it. I’d have Flood or Cipriani tho like a shot.

Will they sack Growler after next weekend?

If they don’t get out of the group he has to go – he maybe has to anyway.

Substitutions and selection have been his weak point – he seems to have decided who gets subbed before the game and sticks to it. He has had everything he has wanted to prepare the team even to a helpful playing schedule and resting guys at the end of the season. Patterson should not have been playing for example and subbing the front row and half backs……………….

He stands or falls on these results

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

muddydwarf – Member

Next week should be fun then, i just have to resist baiting TJ for a week!

Don’t mock the afflicted. Its a dreadful affliction being a Scots fan

Actually, this result could be bad for England as the Scots will be even more up for the game. Whether this will result in a more focused Scots team or one that will try too hard and fall apart i don’t know…

Who does

toys19
    Free Member

Scotland need a bp and to prevent us from getting a losers bp

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

toys19 – Member

Scotland need a bp and to prevent us from getting a losers bp
    Not Going to happen is it – unless Georgia do us a favour

Another heroic defeat – humbug

toys19
    Free Member

Yeah that is your only hope, beat us and georgia beat arg. Neither likely.. Can anyone see scotland putting four tries on us? Even if they win by more than7 we still go through ahead on score difference

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Scotland seem incapable of finding the try line at the moment, they appear to be basing their entire game on kicking penalties.

Why are Scotland so poor? The Celtic/Magners/whatever its called this yr has been great for Wales yet Scotland slip even further behind it seems.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The game is not based on going for penalties – they are trying to get the backs going. The rain today did not help Scotland at all. TYeh scots game is built around speed – going for penalties you play in the way England do (used to??) – trundle around the field with the ball up your jumper

Why they can’t get over the line? Apart from lack of talent I don’t know.

toys19
    Free Member

The funny thing is TJ I thought today scotland looked like england circa 2004.. no pace and relying on forced errors. Except your fowards were crap..

muddydwarf
    Free Member

What does Scottish rugby need? Mind you, you’re pretty poor at football too – it can’t be the size of the population ‘cos Wales do so much with an even smaller population. What is the size of the player pool in Scotland, i mean how many people are registered to play rugby?

toys19
    Free Member

Scotland pop is only a million more than Wales. I think scotlands problem is similar to englands Afaik rugby is more middle class/private school. In wales its played at every school. More important than wendyball in wales too.

Mind you I do thnk that the reason why scotland look like the england of old that they have our old coach..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I don’t know why Scotland allowed Argentina to boss the breakdown so much. Scotland just didn’t fight for the ball.

Scotland has a very small population of Rugby players muddy.

donsimon
    Free Member

it can’t be the size of the population ‘cos Wales do so much with an even smaller population. What is the size of the player pool in Scotland, i mean how many people are registered to play rugby?

Isn’t Scottish rugby generally played in the public schools/universities?
    In Wales it’s more of a working man’s sport down south and taught throughout the state schools in the whole country. We had more rugby classes than football and a healthy local rugby club.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Found this

http://www.rugbydump.com/2011/09/2103/rugby-world-cup-daily-player-numbers-around-the-world

Scotland 11 000 senior men players, Wales 22 000, England 166 000, Italy 15 000

Viewing 40 posts - 1,881 through 1,920 (of 4,700 total)

The topic ‘Rugby world cup’ is closed to new replies.