Viewing 40 posts - 4,121 through 4,160 (of 4,700 total)
  • Rugby world cup
  • donsimon
    Free Member

Rubbish, he just sh!t out! Any player worth their salt that has been BL capped and is classed as a WC player would be able to DG from 25yds regardless of presssure, he would have made it happen.

What’s rubbish? That I read a report or my opinion about wanting them to run ball.

molgrips
    Free Member

Finally I applaud the nation for getting behind Wales

+1

Certainly goes a long way towards burying the hatchet.

I will feel much better disposed towards England next time, I’m sure.

Group hug, everyone. Come on.. come close..

IdleJon

Konastoner – Member

I think I’ve read a report where he said that he didn’t have a good enogh position for a drop goal. I prefer the idea that they wanted to demonstrate an all or nothing attitude by powering over to score a try

Rubbish, he just sh!t out! Any player worth their salt that has been BL capped and is classed as a WC player would be able to DG from 25yds regardless of presssure, he would have made it happen

Jones doesn’t go for DGs very often, and he’s in the position where he MUST kick one to get through – no wonder he wanted to get the best position he could. Jones is far from my favourite player but I don’t think he did anything other than he normally does, so can’t be criticised for playing his normal game.

Strength in depth you say? Due to the coaching team and player development Wales now have THE strongest side in the NH and I beleive that this will show in the 2013 BL tour of Australia.

Don’t you see the lack of strength in depth then? No worthwhile tight head prop replacement, little depth at 2nd row or hooker, no decent replacement for Priestland (Hook and Jones were obviously not good enough!), not great depth in midfield, and struggling at full back. In the key areas, (TH prop, outhalf, midfield, FB) we only have ONE good player at the moment. A handful of injuries – which is all too likely – and we are relying on 3rd/4th choice players. Wales don’t have strength in depth.

donsimon
    Free Member

Oi! Gatland! Shut it!!
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/15350332.stm

“He said very honestly today: ‘One could have considered the possibility of taking a prop off and going to uncontested scrums’.

Not quite the same as saying ” I considered the possibility….”, is it?

The former England coach Dick Best has told the BBC he is amazed Gatland did not cheat, as it goes on all the time in the sport.

I smell another inquiry….

IdleJon

bump

boxfish
    Free Member

you want a pressure game try playing a game with a captain, forward and top class player down against a side that on it’s day can beat anyone. Oh and they did not score a try and still we still end up only 1 point behind. Well done Wales I say! Oh and is this the same as saying that England are the golden child of UK sport? You can understand the dislike if people make half baked comments like this.

Yes, it was a pressure game. And Wales lost. They missed 3 kickable penalties, a difficult conversion and also failed to organise a viable drop goal attempt given umpteen phases in the opponents half.

During the competition Wales played entertaining rugby and defended superbly. They should be proud of their performances. However, it’s not just about pleasing the crowd, it’s about winning games.

I have taken the day off on Friday to watch the game, then go for a ride. Now that the World Cup is coming to a close, my 2 year old daughter will probably be relieved not to find her Dad jumping round the living room, shouting and occassionally sinking to the floor and beating the carpet with his fists!

C’mon Wales!

Bosh
    Free Member

Lonely just stumbled upon this huge thread! Being a passionate Welshman thought I’d throw my two penneth in…

I think the Wales boys have been bloody excellent both on and off the pitch. Playing he type of rugby that spectators were invented for!

As far as Warburtongate goes, I think the red was technically correct although a yellow would have been the appropriate punishment …. My gripe is the fact that no consideration, consultation with linesmen/ video officials took place. The decision. Made no bearing on us losing the game…. IMO the red card was the difference between Wales beating France by 20 points and beating France by 6 points. We will not win if we don’t convert the points!

Anyway…. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this tournament…. And , yes thre third place does matter (to me) and we will play with the passion that we would have the final…. (if not the same No 7!)

Cheers

AJ

monkey_boy
    Free Member

still bickering, FFS!

i love rugby, lots of you on here know more than me… but as pointed out above..

and why didn’t Phillips go nearer to the posts?

can somebody explain why players when going over for a try dont try and get nearer he posts? yes i understand if your right on the sideline near the flag and dive over you aint got much chance.

but like philips try against france he could have easily run further up towards the posts? yes you have opposing players running near you but jaysus little bit more effort or is the order to “get the ball down” regardless?

DezB
    Free Member

No he couldn’t – he had a French player coming to cut him off. As Phillips is quoted earlier in the thread – he did his job, it was up to the kicker to do their’s. Stephen Jones has been so reliable over the years, there was no excuse for a man of his experience to miss that kick.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

No he couldn’t – he had a French player coming to cut him off. As Phillips is quoted earlier in the thread – he did his job, it was up to the kicker to do their’s. Stephen Jones has been so reliable over the years, there was no excuse for a man of his experience to miss that kick.

i totally understand what you are saying and jones should have slotted it over and so should have hook with those two pens.

BUT in general rugby terms….

even if you know you have a guy on the opposing team coming over, even if you were going to head to the posts and even if he did tackle you chances are you could still ground the ball?

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Calm down boyos all is saved cos tangerine gav has signed for the cardiff blues. Surely 6 grand slams in a row and victory in 2015 is now assured. All hail king gav! ;0)

DezB
    Free Member

Wales could be in trouble Friday…

Joining [Nathan] Sharpe in Australia’s starting XV are full back Kurtley Beale, who has recovered from a hamstring strain, and a new-look front row in the form of James Slipper, Tatafu Polota-Nau and Salesi Ma’afu.

Berrick Barnes has been given a shot at inside centre, with Adam Ashley-Cooper joining him at outside centre after being relieved of his temporary full back duties.

Lifer
    Free Member

even if you know you have a guy on the opposing team coming over, even if you were going to head to the posts and even if he did tackle you chances are you could still ground the ball?

Or you try to get to the centre and end up being pushed into touch…

duckman

Dez, if theses guys could scrummage, I think they might have played more part up to now.

DezB
    Free Member

Dez, if theses guys could scrummage, I think they might have played more part up to now.

Too right – the backs are awesome though. And I like backs 😉

anagallis_arvensis

Strength in depth you say? Due to the coaching team and player development Wales now have THE strongest side in the NH and I beleive that this will show in the 2013 BL tour of Australia.

Don’t you see the lack of strength in depth then? No worthwhile tight head prop replacement, little depth at 2nd row or hooker, no decent replacement for Priestland (Hook and Jones were obviously not good enough!), not great depth in midfield, and struggling at full back. In the key areas, (TH prop, outhalf, midfield, FB) we only have ONE good player at the moment. A handful of injuries – which is all too likely – and we are relying on 3rd/4th choice players. Wales don’t have strength in depth.

ahmen to that, and Wales dont having the strongest team in the NH, France do they are just an uncoached rabble at the moment.

Joining [Nathan] Sharpe in Australia’s starting XV are full back Kurtley Beale, who has recovered from a hamstring strain, and a new-look front row in the form of James Slipper, Tatafu Polota-Nau and Salesi Ma’afu.

Berrick Barnes has been given a shot at inside centre, with Adam Ashley-Cooper joining him at outside centre after being relieved of his temporary full back duties.

That front row are all shit, having said thatWales do not have a tighhead prop in the entire 22, I can only assume Mitchel is broken too, otherwise it looks very odd playing James and having Bevington on the bench. Berrick Barnes and Adam Ashley Cooper will be a real attacking threat and Beale is just about the best attacking full back in the world so that doesnt help. Having said all that Quade, Barnes and Ashley-Cooper will have to deal with Roberts. Biggest problem will be how Wales deal with Pocock

anagallis_arvensis
    stevomcd
    Free Member

monkey_boy – I played rugby for twenty years and, as a wing, scored a fair number of tries.

Once you are over the line, you get the **** ball down. If you are COMPLETELY unopposed, then you jog over under the posts to make the kicker’s job easy. It is not worth taking any kind of gamble with actually scoring the try. Too many things can happen in a tackle situation – especially given that the tackler knows that if he knocks you down, you’ll likely score anyway. He’ll be trying to wrap you up and prevent you from grounding the ball.

Being generous here too – as a wing, the whole team has worked very, very hard to get me in a scoring position* and would be very, very p*ssed off if I fecked it up in order to get a slightly easier conversion.

*Except, of course, where I created the whole thing myself through dazzling brilliance. Like all wings.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Glory hunter!

😉

duckman

stevomcd – Member
    monkey_boy – I played rugby for twenty years and, as a wing

And then went home to apply chamois cream to where your tight shorts had chaffed a little bit

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I once went over in the right hand corner and thought, “It’s gonna be a pretty hard conversion, I’ll step around the fullback and try and get round under the posts.”

He pushed me out over the dead ball line and I got a lot of grief from coach and team mates.

Philips scored a great try. He may have been able to get a little nearer the sticks but the Frenchie may have stopped him. The kick was not that difficult anyway, it should have been made.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Morning all!

Well, the hour is soon upon us. Can Wales clinch third place? I fear we may well fall short…..

IdleJon

stevomcd – Member
    monkey_boy – I played rugby for twenty years and, as a wing, scored a fair number of tries.

Once you are over the line, you get the **** ball down. If you are COMPLETELY unopposed, then you jog over under the posts to make the kicker’s job easy. It is not worth taking any kind of gamble

Oh well, if we need to see it again:

😆

I’ll await Zokes’ indignation for such an outrageous attack on the English nation…..

IdleJon

namastebuzz – Member
    I once went over in the right hand corner….

I once scored a try in a school match only to find I’d ‘scored’ across the 22, not the try line. The Welsh coach’s call never came. 🙁

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I once scored a try in a school match only to find I’d ‘scored’ across the 22, not the try line. The Welsh coach’s call never came.

Ha Ha! I did that in a recent touch rugby game but on the HALFWAY line 😳

inigomontoya
    Free Member

ha ha I have horrible memories of the rare occasion (as a prop) that I got the ball in space and ran and ran and ran. Straight over the try line, straight over the dead ball line.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Required reading

From Gwlad Rugby.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Tommorows game has the potential to be a cracker. Best of luck to Wales 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Flashy that piece really is great.. about so much more than Welsh rugby.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I thought so too, Molgrips. Says a lot about the game as a whole!

Nervous about tomorrow, though….!

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. maybe.. I dunno.. people keep saying ‘oh so and so is out’ but really, the team now is clearly good because of something more than the contributions of individuals…

Pigface
    Free Member

Come on Wales one more good 80 mins lets put a SH team to the sword.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Great piece from GwladRugby as ever.

duckman

Dai Duckman here…Tidy!

duckman

Ok, where can I see the game on-line (free 1st two periods) err..Bach-boy

donsimon
    Free Member
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Good luck wales!

Duckman – try http://www.vipbox.tv/
    http://kiwii.co.uk/

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Morning all! Coffees on, bacon’s cooking…..

clubber
    Free Member

Go Taffs!

Viewing 40 posts - 4,121 through 4,160 (of 4,700 total)

The topic ‘Rugby world cup’ is closed to new replies.