Viewing 40 posts - 4,081 through 4,120 (of 4,700 total)
  • Rugby world cup
  • inigomontoya
    Free Member

Does it really matter? The prize has gone.

Yes. It’s still a test match, and the Welsh team still need to prove they can actually win against the big teams. and third place in the world rankings (although obviously meaningless) would be a nice stick to poke zokes with 😈

DezB
    Free Member

3rd place play-offs are a waste of time.

Apart from the fact that it’ll likely be a decent game of rugby to watch. Personally, I like watching decent games of rugby.

The third-place play-offs at the past three Rugby World Cups have produced 14 tries in total and averaged more than 45 points a match.

The point is not lost on Cooper’s teammate Berrick Barnes, who predicted there would be plenty of points on offer against the Welsh.

“The best thing about a third-place play-off is you want to see running rugby, you want to see excitement and I think you’ll get that,” he said.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

3rd place play-offs are a waste of time.

Rubbish. You tell that to this lot,

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Glitchywankybump

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And another

boxfish
    Free Member

As a passionate Welsh fan, I feel I should make the folowing points:

1. Wales should have beaten South Africa but did not have the neccessary composure during the final 10 minutes.

2. A lucky bounce of the ball gifted Wales a try against Samoa. Had the ball dribbled into touch, it is quite conceivable that Samoa could have won that game. Hence Wales may have failed to qualify from the pool stages.

3. Fiji & Namibia did not field competetive sides.

4. Warburton’s sending off was justifiable.

5. Wales had enough ball, territory and kicking chances to best France. See point 1.

Until Wales start winning the pressure games, they cannot be regarded as great. I was convinced that Halfpenny’s final kick was going over…as it dropped below the crossbar by inches, it truly reflected where Welsh rugby is at right now. Almost there, but not quite.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Does it really matter? The prize has gone.

I know it’s a game of rugby and it’s there to be won but 3rd place play-offs are a waste of time.

I think wales will be 2nd in IRB rankings if they beat Oz…possibly down to 6th if they lose. Putting away a southern hemisphere team in the south is still worth doing, and Oz’s next 5 games are all against Wales, so as well to start off on a good foot against them.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

The best team won on Saturday.
    The best team won on Sunday.
    The best team will win and pick up the World cup next weekend.
    That is beyond debate in my eyes.

Are these assertions based purely on the fact that they won?

charliemort

boxfish – nail on head

I’m half french, half english and wanted Wales to win – wanted to see Warbuton vs McCaw, Roberts against Nonu, front row battle etc

difference between this Wales team and england 2003 (not commenting on the way they play / style of play etc) was that England found a way to win, pretty or not eg holding on against NZ when down to 13 men, World Cup final when they were getting penalised to the point they had to stop pushing in the scrum, but Wilkinson’s drop goal went over – whereas Wales missed opportunities on Saturday

missed penalties, missed drop goals, and why didn’t Phillips go nearer to the posts?

surfer
    Free Member

and why didn’t Phillips go nearer to the posts?

IIRC a player was coming across from that direction.

I dont know why Jones didnt go for a kick a bit later though instead of trying to drive forward.

donsimon
    Free Member

Are these assertions based purely on the fact that they won?

No.

I dont know why Jones didnt go for a kick a bit later though instead of trying to drive forward.

I think I’ve read a report where he said that he didn’t have a good enogh position for a drop goal. I prefer the idea that they wanted to demonstrate an all or nothing attitude by powering over to score a try.

Scamper
    Free Member

I take it Adam Jones is out as well for the play-off? Pity we didn’t get to see him show his credentials in the semi and final as the world’s best tight head.

anagallis_arvensis

😆

Well, you seem to have spent most of this thread being quite offensive towards anyone who dares mention England, so why stop at that when you can resort to personal insults? I pity the kids you teach… (I am aware of the irony of this, but you’re getting more than slightly tiresome).

Go on then find some evidence of me being offensive to anyone apart from you.

What is puzzling me is why is it ok when you’re Welsh to yabber on all week about how you’ll be tonking the Aussies in the final.

Again find out where I said this?

Then, when it all goes wrong, there’s 6 pages of crying and anguish about the ref – very similar to an English football thread actually.

I think you’ll find I agreed with TJ’s claim that it was perfectly within the rules for him to be sent off.

And now, it seems the ABs are going to ‘smash’ the French. Well, we’ll see on that one.

all the available evidence is that they will, France have been tonked by them once already, lost to Tonga and were hanging on against 14 man Wales.

Oh and my lesson today was graded good with outstanding features today so I dont think you need to pity the kids I teach 😆

anagallis_arvensis

I take it Adam Jones is out as well for the play-off? Pity we didn’t get to see him show his credentials in the semi and final as the world’s best tight head.

would appear so, torn calf muscle could be out for a while, he seems to have been struggling with it all tournament as I dont think he has been up to his usual self. Great srummager but has lacked fitness from what I’ve seen.

Lifer
    Free Member

surfer – Member

and why didn’t Phillips go nearer to the posts?

IIRC a player was coming across from that direction.

Yeah he was being blocked from going to the centre. Why doesn’t Halfpenny kick more though? They give him the massively difficult ones so surely he should be okay at the normal ones?

Oh and once again tune into

http://www.arcrugby.co.nz/ for brilliant commentary from the Jedi. Sometimes there’s a delay but Sky Plus sorts that out 😀

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3O9AafnjHI[/video]

anagallis_arvensis

I can only presume in teaining 1/2p doesnt have the same levels of accuracy. He only takes long range pot shots for cardiff too.

zokes
    Free Member

I prefer the idea that they wanted to demonstrate an all or nothing attitude by powering over to score a try.

Well, sadly they found the answer to that one… Even NZ in that position would probably have gone for the points – the object of the game is to win, not be plucky losers.

and third place in the world rankings (although obviously meaningless) would be a nice stick to poke zokes with

I’d find a different stick if I were you. Whilst we possibly differ on why Wales lost, I think we both agree that we’d have preferred Wales to win, especially against that dismal performance by the French. They certainly deserve to be well above England in the rankings at present. I think they’ll be a frightening team to face for the next few years if they can keep this up.

anagallis_arvensis

I think they’ll be a frightening team to face for the next few years if they can keep this up.

Yes they look strong at the moment, but imagine if Adam Jones had done his calf in the first match and then Roberts or Phillips got broken. Wales have played well but have also been very lucky to have almost all of there top players available apart from Rees (and the man god obviously but I’m not sure he counts). If Hook Breaks suddenly the cover in 3 positions looks very very thin. If Wales wanted to dominate Europe and challenge the SH teams they need more strength in depth but given the structure in place and the pro player numbers its unlikely to happen.

Pigface
    Free Member

Gatland admits to discussing faking an injury during the game on Satyrday to go to uncontested scrums. No doubt the IRB will impose some sanction on him, can you bring rugby into disrepute?

Think that he should of kept his council on this.

hels
    Free Member

I don’t see how you can sanction somebody for thinking about something, or even admitting to thinking about it. I’m thinking about some well dodgy stuff right now, and Richie Macaw is there too. Send the Rugby Disrepute Investigation Team around now…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

hels – dodgy stuff with one R McCaw ? 😯

hels
    Free Member

Why TJ – does he have a twin ??

(oops better get back to my coffee)

Pigface
    Free Member

Hels ask Pocock how getting humped by Mcaw feels 😉

Hmm the IRB tanking says something…….

IRB World Rankings – 17 October 2011 Position (last week)

Member Union Rating Point
    1(1) NEW ZEALAND 91.34
    2(2) AUSTRALIA 86.49
    3(5) FRANCE 84.79
    4(3) SOUTH AFRICA 84.34
    5(6) ENGLAND 81.58
    6(4) WALES 81.10
    7(7) IRELAND 80.65
    8(8) ARGENTINA 80.28
    9(9) TONGA 76.63
    10(10) SCOTLAND 76.20

Despite getting sent home in the quarters……england up two places, wales kicked again……. down two? Logic……??????

Lifer
    Free Member

Just had a wire from my correspondent on the ground (brother’s been in NZ for the whole thing, flying back on friday)

Atmosphere wasn’t as good as the quarter final against Ireland, everyone was backing Wales after the red card but the French were so bad it was hard to get excited about anything.

The French will get absolutely smashed in the final. They’ve already lost to New Zealand once and were beaten by Tonga. So far they only things they’ve done is beat a woeful England side and manage to somehow not lose to a Wales team who played with 14 men for an hour.

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    I can only presume in teaining 1/2p doesnt have the same levels of accuracy. He only takes long range pot shots for cardiff too.

That’s what Tom reckons as well:

Halfpenny only kicks from long range because he’s not very accurate. He can smash it miles but anything other than dead centre and it can end up anywhere.

doof_doof
    Free Member

Despite getting sent home in the quarters……england up two places, wales kicked again……. down two? Logic……??????

I think you need to go and have a look to see how the ranking are constructed.

clubber
    Free Member

4100!

Pigface
    Free Member

glitchy

or maybe not 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Actually looking forward to the 3rd place play off now.

Is this the biggest thread ever on STW?

France now my number one team.

deadlyd’arcy 🙂

duckman

Le Plastique! ^

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Surely the problem with the NH is the lack of consistency. The top teams (in alphabetical order to prevent bias), England, France, Ireland, and Wales are capable of combining brilliance with abject displays. Or is that the beauty of NH rugby – that it is enjoyable precisely because it becomes difficult to predict. The last two 6Ns have shown that.

I felt bitterly disappointed with the Welsh result, but with the cold light of (several) days the conclusion was a simple one. They were perfectly capable of finishing France off even with only 14 men (more than England could say!!) but frankly bottled it. Frustrating and I’m only 1/8th Welsh!!

[agree with Boxfish]

I hope both sides are up for the 3 place PO – good luck Wales

onehundredthidiot

Really would like France to put up a good show. Don’t think they can win but they have panache and can play with style (they can also hide in their shell and be utter $hite).

But ABs just too powerful and now look covered in every area of the park.

Has Warbuton got a ban? Someone needs to deal with Pocock and he might be up to it.

Loved the Oz’s whinging to the ref at every opportunity.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The AB seem to have this amazing ability to do simple things with unrivaled intensity. They seem to kick and play the percentages as much as any one (including the NH) but they have the ability to simply strangle the life out of the oppo – in fair ways and foul. It is also interesting that they are not simply a bunch of massive (protein infested) bulk monsters – they have power, yes, but a better balance of skill and panache than others.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Je suis plastique 🙂

d’arcymortelle

anagallis_arvensis

Gatland admits to discussing faking an injury during the game on Satyrday to go to uncontested scrums

I suggested that on here during the game.
    Warburton has a 3 week ban. I expect Wales will play either Lydiate or Faletau at openside with Ryan Jones at 6 or 8.

whytetrash

Faletau named on BBC sport …big boots to fill…roll on 6Nations eh?

IdleJon

onehundredthidiot – Member

Has Warbuton got a ban? Someone needs to deal with Pocock and he might be up to it.

Yes, 3 weeks ban for Warburton.

I’m surprised that Pocock has git away with the punch he threw in the ABs game. A red card offence not so long ago….

anagallis_arvensis

😮 never mind that shit look at this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15359520.stm

IdleJon

Oh jeez, just what Welsh rugby needs.

Lets not concentrate on bringing talent through because we can always default to the Gav soap opera:

will he/won’t be fit?
    will he/won’t he still be any good?
    who is he sleeping with?

And of course it will last until Xmas when Cardiff lose patience with him and he disappears off to do another TV show.

Konastoner
    Free Member

I think I’ve read a report where he said that he didn’t have a good enogh position for a drop goal. I prefer the idea that they wanted to demonstrate an all or nothing attitude by powering over to score a try

Rubbish, he just sh!t out! Any player worth their salt that has been BL capped and is classed as a WC player would be able to DG from 25yds regardless of presssure, he would have made it happen.

At least he has the nuts to have a go, it’s this “Have a go” attitude is what many sides are missing form the N Hemisphere. It’s all about the confidence.

Until Wales start winning the pressure games, they cannot be regarded as great. I was convinced that Halfpenny’s final kick was going over…as it dropped below the crossbar by inches, it truly reflected where Welsh rugby is at right now. Almost there, but not quite.

If you want a pressure game try playing a game with a captain, forward and top class player down against a side that on it’s day can beat anyone. Oh and they did not score a try and still we still end up only 1 point behind. Well done Wales I say! Oh and is this the same as saying that England are the golden child of UK sport? You can understand the dislike if people make half baked comments like this.

Yes they look strong at the moment, but imagine if Adam Jones had done his calf in the first match and then Roberts or Phillips got broken. Wales have played well but have also been very lucky to have almost all of there top players available apart from Rees (and the man god obviously but I’m not sure he counts). If Hook Breaks suddenly the cover in 3 positions looks very very thin. If Wales wanted to dominate Europe and challenge the SH teams they need more strength in depth but given the structure in place and the pro player numbers its unlikely to happen.

All if, but’s and maybe’s, still not be relevant – stick to the facts. None of it happened so t’sirrelevant. Strength in depth you say? Due to the coaching team and player development Wales now have THE strongest side in the NH and I beleive that this will show in the 2013 BL tour of Australia.

I applaud Gatland for comming out with truth about non contested scrums, and this may help the cause in the end. I hope the IRB pay attention to the fact that if their refs get it wrong the concequences are not only felt by the players.

Finally I applaud the nation for getting behind Wales, it’s really good to see solidarity in these times of national segregation. It was a pitty that Wales did not get through but this was not for the want of trying, this is disappointment is felt by every Welsh person (and hopeflly a few others). We are not disappointed in the team (in Wales they are Gods!) but disappointed in the system (not even the ref!!!). It would have been easy to go to the 3rd ref but this would have gone against the memo. Rugby is a contact sport, sometimes big guys against small which ends up in scenarios like Warburton, however they are all ulitimatley rugby players and they know the risks and get paid accordingly. Look how many people have been killed or injured road riding, would you call that a dangerous sport?

Viewing 40 posts - 4,081 through 4,120 (of 4,700 total)

The topic ‘Rugby world cup’ is closed to new replies.