Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 4,076 total)
  • Rugby Thread 2017/18.
  • anagallis_arvensis

Jackson is there as a 15 only – back up to Hoggba

The point still stands then but with now with massive fucken bells on it!

maybe its just bad rfecruitment.

I think thats true with Ospreys but not the others. You are also talking like Glasgow and Edinburgh are better than their welsh counter parts. Results suggest there not. Glasgow finished below Scarlets and Ospreys and only just above Cardiff. Edinburgh beat Dragons and the two Italians only and their budget is way higher than the Dregs!

tjagain

The point falls as the back up 10s are a lot better than Jackson! Even if Jackson has grown a huge beard. Horne has played 10 for Scotland. He is the second best 10 in Scotland after Russell and as I said can play the same gameplan. Hastings played 10 at age group, captained at age group and is going to be very good indeed – perhaps better than Russell. 10 for Glasgow is not a worry at all. When Russell goes south at the end of the season I expect Hastings to step right into his shoes thats 3 international standard 10s glasgow have to go with 4 international standard 9s. I think they should stop being so greedy and give some to Edinburgh. We have meatball and Tovey at 10 FFS

anagallis_arvensis

The point falls as the back up 10s are a lot better than Jackson!

OK I’ll have some of what you are smoking if Jackson is as good a 15 as Hogg. You should change his wki page

anagallis_arvensis

When Russell goes south at the end of the season I expect Hastings to step right into his shoes thats 3 international standard 10s glasgow

You Scots have certainly come on a lot since you tried to poach McShingler. I expect to see Glasgow win something this season!

anagallis_arvensis

On the plus side this thread will make me more interested in the Scarlets games v glasgow and Edinburgh!!!

tjagain

tis true AA – some great young players coming thru now. Fruits of the academy / age group systems working. I still worry that some of these guys don’t actually have a huge amount of playing time under their belts but certainly the dark days seem to have gone at least for a bit.

Another couple of names to watch for this season. Matt fagerson – Zanders brother – a back row with pace ( Glasgow) ( there is a 3rd brother who is supposed to be better than both) and Kinghorn at 15 ( edinburgh) who I think will be better than Hogg in a year or two. Hoyland may make a mark as well at wing

tjagain

anagallis_arvensis – Member

On the plus side this thread will make me more interested in the Scarlets games v glasgow and Edinburgh!!!

Against Glasgow maybe. Faint signs are appearing that Edinburgh might become competitive but Glasgow are the scots team to beat. Edinburgh have been pish for years now

anagallis_arvensis

Kinghorn has looked good V Dregs and Blues big step up needed to play at international level though.

tjagain

Yup – only a young man but plays well. Its only his first full pro season although he did get drafted in for a few games last year. If he is this good at 20 how good could he become? a lot of these guys are just stepping up from age group rugby. Matt Fagerson is 19 IIRC.

onehundredthidiot

Think brits was right to be annoyed as he was crouched and out of the way of the pass, albeit in the line.

It’s a really annoyance of mine the number of times the retreating player passes through the 9/10 channel at just the right time to slow the attack.

anagallis_arvensis

I just cant understand what happend to straight put in from last season and why refs cant spot half a team offside at kick offs..its all teams

tjagain

straight put in is really obviously not happening. Anyone seen any props strike for the ball yet?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Off side at all kicks?

The KO are so blatant it’s stupid

anagallis_arvensis

I was trying to be less negative thm!!!
    Kick offs are so obvious though.
    High tackles seem to be making a comeback too. Some Zebre player tried to pull Habberfields head off yesterday. Ref missed it, fair enough that happens, tv replayed it but the video ref must have popped out for a pint at that point. Was only a pen and a word but whats the point of video refs?

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m not sure thats the case.

The three things required for success are talent, money and coaching. There is no shortage of talent in any of the home nations. Coaching is available. Money is dependent on fans watching the games, at the ground or on the TV and buying the merch. Money can buy and defence in the other two. It’s a pro game.

The derbies are very well attended so each countries fans back their team. Its big problem for me is the lack of relegation and lack of competition for Euro Cup spots.

Very valid point. Now they have the conferences, perhaps there is a route to seeding and tiering?

On another note, one negative for the AP which I have noticed is the standard of refereeing. It’s been bloody awful so far.

tjagain

wrtecker – as far as I can see every leagues fans complain about the reffing – I think its an impossible task really and overall our ref’s do a very difficult job well

anagallis_arvensis

The Pro14 lacks impartial refs which leads to problems, mostly imagined but things like the Scottish video refs intervention on the Dragons try at Edinburgh or Leinster having an Irish ref, two irish touch judges and an irish video ref cant be good.

tjagain

Just watched the ap highlights. 3 penalty tries for collapsed mauls. Not seen that so often. all were right tho. Nice to see Exeter playing well and scoring and its interesting how much more entertaining the ap is compared to a few years ago with much more attacking play and tries being scored. Is it bonus points that have created this or what?

Stoner
    Free Member

anyone else on BT Sport website cant see any videos on the Rugby page (or any sport page for that matter).

I just get a blank frame:

tjagain

AA – usually the ref is from another nation its just the TMOs that don’t travel?

wrecker
    Free Member

wrtecker – as far as I can see every leagues fans complain about the reffing – I think its an impossible task really and overall our ref’s do a very difficult job well

I think this year has been terrible and I am watching AP games as an impartial.

IdleJon

AA – usually the ref is from another nation its just the TMOs that don’t travel?

No, there were quite a few occasions last year where the home team had a home ref.

And almost every year Ospreys v Scarlets at Xmas get Nige as ref. He’s from Scarlet country so with the best will in the world is going to be skewed in favour of one team.

anagallis_arvensis

usually the ref is from another nation its just the TMOs that don’t travel?

Leinster Rugby v Cardiff Blues – KO 7:35pm

Referee: Andrew Brace (IRFU, 25th competition game)
    AR1: Frank Murphy (IRFU). AR2: Eoin Hogan-O’Connell (IRFU)
    TMO: Peter Fitzgibbon (IRFU)
    TG4: 7.20pm
    BBC2 Wales: 7.30pm

Read more at http://www.pro14rugby.org/referee-appointments/#ifSrXLA3WLEVcGoj.99

tjagain

Interesting – the rest on that page are neutral. too many irish ref teams? – that certainly looks wrong

mindmap3
    Free Member

interesting how much more entertaining the ap is compared to a few years ago with much more attacking play and tries being scored. Is it bonus points that have created this or what?

Nice backhanded compliment there…bonus points have been around for a while, even in that backward league that no one watches… 😈

tjagain

You have to agree tho more tries are being scored and less teams are playing with a defensive ” must not lose” mindset? Its certainly how it looks to me and the pundits were saying how many tries are being scored compared to a few years ago. the AP is certainly more entertaining to watch than it used to be in my mind and I wondered why the change?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

its just the TMOs that don’t travel?

These days, does the TMO even have to be there? Surely he could stay at home and do it from his armchair?

anagallis_arvensis

These days, does the TMO even have to be there? Surely he could stay at home and do it from his armchair?

Most seem to do it from the pub

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Most seem to do it from the pub

😆

Judging by some of the decisions I’ve seen – that’s probably true!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Captain Hovis out for the rest of the season.

anagallis_arvensis
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wales Online disagree.

anagallis_arvensis

No they dont.

Big chance for Thomas Young with Jenkins and Davies injured too. Could be looking for a 6 as well especially if Moriarty doesnt make it.. Shingler gets another chance?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Year, not season!

Doh!

😳

tjagain

Are we getting more and more serious injuries due to the size and power of the players? I thin k both Glasgow and Edinburgh have 25-30% of their squads injured right now and its only 2 games into the seson.

Glasgow last week had all these guys unavailable Rob Harley (foot), Adam Hastings (thigh), Sam Johnson (head), Lelia Masaga (calf), Greg Peterson (knee), Fraser Brown (ankle), Jonny Gray (wrist), Stuart Hogg (shoulder), Paddy Kelly (ankle), Ratu Tagive (achilles), Richie Vernon (achilles) and Samuela Vunisa (knee).

mindmap3
    Free Member

Are we getting more and more serious injuries due to the size and power of the players? I thin k both Glasgow and Edinburgh have 25-30% of their squads injured right now and its only 2 games into the seson.

It’s got to be part of the reason – Manu is permanently crocked, Kruis seems to have a lot of injuries at the mo too. There are a lot of AP players missing at the mo.

DanW
    Free Member

When the size thing comes up most people think of the collisions but TJs list is fairly typical in that most injuries in rugby are lower limb. You could argue that ligaments and tendons are working beyond capacity for the size of the players but in reality I think almost all would happen regardless of size. Intensity and volume of what these guys put themselves through year round as part of the professional game is a bigger factor IMO

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I’d be interested to see the breakdown of % of injuries sustained in training versus games.

DanW
    Free Member

In England, roughly 40% training, 60% match though it is perhaps skewed by concussion reporting which is the biggest match day injury (25%). Concussion during match day/ training is roughly 85/ 15 split. Tackle is the biggest injury event in match time, with concussion top for both tackler and ball carrier though significantly higher for the tackler with a higher proportion of upper limb injuries whereas the ball carrier injuries after concussion are most likely to be lower limb. Hamstring, calf and ankle injuries are consistently the most frequent during training. Most studies have football as having more injuries per participant than rugby. Most injuries which cause early retirement tend to be lower limb though it obviously varies by position. Not much ties up with player size

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ulster v Scabs turning in to quite an excellent game!

Meanwhile…

People say you shouldn’t tweet during games.

People say a 35 year old shouldn’t be Wales best number 10.

People are wrong.

@UnrealGavHenson

😀

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 4,076 total)

The topic ‘Rugby Thread 2017/18.’ is closed to new replies.