Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Roundabouts
  • cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Approaching a roundabout there’s 2 lanes, you want to go straight on into a single lane road, none of the lanes are marked, which lane do you take?

I’m curious to know the STW stance on this.

DezB
    Free Member

How can there be 2 lanes if none of the lanes are marked?
    (Left lane, if there are lanes)

johnellison
    Free Member

In a motor vehicle, the right-hand lane. On a push-bike, the left hand lane.

Lifer
    Free Member

Which exit is it? ‘Straight on’ means nothing if there’s 2-3 exits before it.

xcgb
    Free Member

Either one

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

johnellison – Member

Why the right hand lane John?

DezB
    Free Member

Huh? What difference does it make if you’re in a car or on a bike??

trail_rat
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member

who else is there?
    nobody left lane, others going left(indicating) right lane, others going right left lane maybe bit of both…

no single answer

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If you want to go “straight” either the near or offside lane will do.

Huh? What difference does it make if you’re in a car or on a bike??

I believe that as far as the Highway Code is concerned it does, although I would ignore that rule in many cases.

DezB
    Free Member

If the roundabout is big enough and there’s something I need to overtake and they move into the left lane, I’ll use the right.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Lifer – Member

Which exit is it? ‘Straight on’ means nothing if there’s 2-3 exits before it.

Lets say its the 2nd exit of 4, but you are continuing on the same road, going straight over the roundabout.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Do you mean no arrows when you say ‘no lanes marked’ or no white lines?

If ‘straight on’ is the first or 2nd exit then left hand lane. But it depends in the situation – if the left hand lane was busy with traffic indicating to go left at the first exit then I’d go in the right hand lane.

somouk
    Free Member

I would be taking the left hand lane.

162. Signals and position, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise.

When taking the first exit

signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
    keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

When taking any intermediate exit

do not signal on the approach to the roundabout
    approach in the left-hand lane or centre lane on a three-lane road (on a two-lane road you may approach in the right-hand lane if the left-hand lane is blocked)
    stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
    signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When taking the last exit or going full circle

signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
    keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
    signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

nickjb
    Free Member

Too many variables. For a simple 4 exit (NSEW) roundabout either is fine in a car. If there is traffic then which ever is emptier. On the bike I’d go for the left hand lane but be in the middle of it.

DezB
    Free Member

What do the orange stars mean in trailrats pic? I’ve never seen orange stars on a roundabout

gonefishin
    Free Member

With two lanes going into one and no road markings, it’s a case of either or, but you would have to be very careful to not cause an accident when leaving the roundabout. A configuration like that should have the lanes clearly marked to tell drivers where to position themselves.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

If you want to go “straight” either the near or offside lane will do.

If this is the case, what happens when 2 cars go round the roundabout together in the nearside and offside lane, and both want to go straight on onto the single lane exit?

nickjb
    Free Member

What do the orange stars mean in trailrats pic? I’ve never seen orange stars on a roundabout

They indicate when to indicate

trail_rat
    Free Member

means when you should indicate from.

if there is only one lane on exit and no merge you want to be in the left hand – if its double lane exit or merge on exit then either are fair game.

kilo

No hard and fast rule for me. Depends on traffic flow approaching the roundabout (both leevl of traffic and driving style), on the roundabout and on the other side of the roundabout, if I am making progress or just driving along, if the exit lane goes straight to one lane or if there is a gradual reduction, and other aspects as well. The highway code says; “select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout” so all the above factors and more would impact on the correct lane.

Somouk, the DoT website I looked at doesn’t contain that advice in the highway code;

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/roundabouts-184-to-190

nickjb
    Free Member

If this is the case, what happens when 2 cars go round the roundabout together in the nearside and offside lane, and both want to go straight on onto the single lane exit?

Car in the inside has to move to the outside to exit the roundabout and can only do that when that lane is clear.

ahwiles
    Free Member

DezB – Member

many hundreds of years ago, cars were fitted with ‘indicate which way you are going’ lights.

the last observed instance of anyone using an ‘indicator’ light was in 1893. their inclusion in the highway code is simply anachronistic.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Commonsense takes over, as usually happens when traffic merges.

trail_rat
    Free Member

your wrong ernie – as soon as the driving populus gets behind the wheel – they store the common sense aspect in the boot.

nedrapier

DezB – Member

Just in case your not being funny, that’s where you should be indicating – ie not before you’ve passed the last exit before the one you’re taking. You could be indicating to others that you’re taking the previous exit.

OP: left lane for exits up to 12 o’clock. Unless there are markings for left trun only from the left lane.

johnellison
    Free Member

johnellison – Member

Why the right hand lane John?

Because that’s what I was taught.

The Highway Code is actually quite vague about it – rule 186 says –

“When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise –

– select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout
    – you should not normally need to signal on approach
    – stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
    – signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.”

thecaptain
    Free Member

In a car I’d normally take the left, though if there was a queue of slower traffic to overtake, I’d consider sneaking past on the right. On a bike, usually primary position well across in the left lane, to reduce the likelihood of a left hook on the first exit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

that photograph was lifted from the highway code appendix john – they have updated their stance on it.

DezB
    Free Member

Indicators hmm? Like these things?

New one on me.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’d take the left, because if you take the right you can guarantee someone else will take the left to go straight on and you’ll end up collecting them when you exit the roundabout.

trail_rat
    Free Member

nope – thats a trafficator dez

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member

Do you mean no arrows when you say ‘no lanes marked’ or no white lines?

No arrows, no white lines on the roundabout, but 2 lined lanes on the road leading up to he roundabout, ie dual carriageway into single carriageway.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Surely middle of the two lanes so no one can get in your way, then racing line hitting the apex of the roundabout.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Either lane is fine. Generally I’ll use the left lane if I’m taking an early exit or the right lane if a) I can scoot past a lorry or bus and go straight on b) if I’m going to take a later exit on the island.

johnellison
    Free Member

that photograph was lifted from the highway code appendix john – they have updated their stance on it.

OK, I stand corrected said the man in the orthopaedic shoes (© Alan Partridge), but I’ve been using that approach for the last 25 years and not had any issues…

D0NK

They indicate when to indicate

I’ve never seen anyone indicate in that manner, maybe that’s why DezB was momentarily confused 🙂

theotherjonv

In the pic above, if there really was that much traffic about, I’d approach in the left, exit in the left, but ‘straightline’ the roundabout. As instructed to by the RAC approved ADI that took me out for a driving safety assessment as part of my company’s driver awareness push.

She failed to mention if I got extra points for getting the inside wheels over the edge of the island.

somouk
    Free Member

In the pic above, if there really was that much traffic about, I’d approach in the left, exit in the left, but ‘straightline’ the roundabout. As instructed to by the RAC approved ADI that took me out for a driving safety assessment as part of my company’s driver awareness push.

Straight lining is fine so long as you don’t affect the flow of any other traffic on the roundabout. You’d be silly to do it on a busy round about as someone could potentially steal your lane and block your exit.

theotherjonv

was meant to be tongue in cheek – she did recommend it but only when roads are completely clear (also said cutting corners on country roads is fine as long as you can see it’s clear) – but if in any doubt at all, don’t. And also not when the police are watching – while it is to an extent lifted from their own manual, but they don’t like you being smartarse about it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Roundabouts’ is closed to new replies.